Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 11:22:41 AM EDT
Assuming you don't have any machinist's tools, what is the easiest way to find the exact center of a circle if you need to drill a hole in the center of an object?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Measure diameter.  Divide this by 2 ...  This is the distance from any edge of the circle to the center (the radius).

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Have a compass? Set it for the radius of the circle.  Stick the pointy end on any part of the circumference, draw a small arc near the center of the circle. Move the pointy end to a different part of the circumference, draw another small arc near the center. Where the two arcs you drew intersect is your center.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Isn't there some rule that you draw a triangle inside the circle (with the corners touching the circle), and then draw perpendicular lines from the center of each side of the triangle - and where they cross is the center of the circle?

Or did I just dream that - it's probably been over 30 years.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't you just draw a line in one direction across the middle and then another at 90 degrees from it and where they intersect is the center?  Like a scope's cross-hairs?

G
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
use a compass set at about center. put the needle on the circle and make an arc neer center .repeat this several times around the circle and the center will become apperant
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Isn't there some rule that you draw a triangle inside the circle (with the corners touching the circle), and then draw perpendicular lines from the center of each side of the triangle - and where they cross is the center of the circle?

I just tried it on paper and it worked for me
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Oops, that's it.

G
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can't you just draw a line in one direction across the middle and then another at 90 degrees from it and where they intersect is the center?  Like a scope's cross-hairs?

G

Yeah, but how  do you  find  the  half way  point to draw the line on?  This is  the question.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Alternately a perpendicular from a chord will cross center.  (an equilateral triangle inside a circle is 3 chords)

If using barstock, set on barstock on flat surface and lay pencil on same flat surface and draw a line along the end of the barstock.  Do this at least two more times rolling the barstock so it's sitting on a different point.  Then take a small square and draw perpendicular lines from the 3 chords you drew.  The center of the barstock should be at the intersection or inside the resulting triangle of error.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
In CyberChase, the kids cut a piece of cloth the same size as the circle and folded it in half twice to find the center.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Fold it in half....and then fold it in half again.  X marks the spot.

ETA:  KISS
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Compass, two arcs and a line through the points where the arcs cross.Then divide the straight line in two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't listen to him!  It's pure sorcery!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
It's where the crosshairs intersect...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Bisect it with a compas. Perfect center every time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Draw two chords on the circle.  They can be any length and the ends don't need to touch, or they can overlap.

Construct a line perpendicular to each chord.  Their intersection is the center of the circle.

Here is a link to show you how to construct perpendiculars -

www.math.csusb.edu/courses/m129/perp.html
regentsprep.org/Regents/math/construc/perp.htm

How else are you going to reconstruct a broken gear when you only have a piece?  You can't draw a triangle inside a circle, and besides, that is a redundant solution.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
To find the middle of a line with a compass and ruler, set the compass to any distance shorter than the line.  

Place the point on one end of the line, and draw and arc that crosses the line.

Without changing the compass adjustment, place the point on the other end of the line and draw another arc that crosses the first arc.

The two arcs intersect at two  places.  Place a ruler across those two intersections, and draw a line.

Where that line crosses the first line will cut the first line in half, and will be perpendicular.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Simply amazing.  All of you and your genious.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Drill the hole first. What size circle do you want?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me take one shot at it from 300 yds..........

There's your answer.

Sorry, jus' felt like a little ing was in order tonight.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#21]
"Right about....there"

If its paper in the shape of a cirlce, fold it over in halfs.... Bingo.... Why make things so hard?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"Right about....there"

If its paper in the shape of a cirlce, fold it over in halfs.... Bingo.... Why make things so hard?

I'll assume you came up with this idea on your own even though I posted the same thing half way up the page.  

However since I am assuming you came up with this idea on your own...you and I are the only ones on this board with any common sense.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Drill the hole first. What size circle do you want?

Best answer by far
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Right about....there"

I'll assume you came up with this idea on your own even though I posted the same thing half way up the page.  

However since I am assuming you came up with this idea on your own...you and I are the only ones on this board with any common sense.

Oh yeah. just saw that.

Definantly keep it simple....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Mission accomplished, thanks !
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the 5th grade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top