Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 11:01:54 AM EDT
I was watching a program on MSNBC last night about super max prisons in the US and I got to thinking about life sentences. Why do we as tax paying citizens have to pay to keep a human being in prison for so many years? Why don't we just kill them? What is the difference between a life sentence and a death sentence?

The way I look at it is if a judge hands out a life sentence to someone it is just a prolonged death sentence that is going to cost a ton of money ($85/day) to us tax payers. So how about we just kill them and make some room and save some money?

What is your take?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
somehow people think that getting cornholed daily while being isolated from society is less punishing than just punching your ticket right away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
somehow people think that getting cornholed daily while being isolated from society is less punishing than just punching your ticket right away.

Yeah, they call a death sentence "barbaric". I call it "practical".
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Id perfer to die quickly myself then spend time in there.  If I had a death sentance I wouldnt appeal it
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I say work them til they die,  a la gulag style.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a lot of pieces of human trash in prisons that deserve death or worse.  My only problem with the death penalty is I don't think our government is competent enough to secure our borders, much less decide life or death for it's citizens.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The death sentence should stay. However, It should be worked a little differently.

The sentence should be carried out as soon as another douche needs the cell.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
To be honest, the judicial system isn't 100% correct. If it was then by all means, no reason to have to pay for them the rest of their lives.

There have been instances where guys have been locked up for 20+yrs. and new evidence(DNA) proved them to be innocent.

So it would really suck to condemn an innocent person and kill them. If the judicial system was 100% perfect, it wouldn't be an issue.

Just pray that it never gets to the point of that Tom Cruise movie. Where you get arrested before the crime, that would really suck. How you gonna defend that.

"Well your honor, I didn't even know I was gonna do it." Wrong answer case closed. 20 yrs. for future murder. LOL

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I say work them til they die,  a la gulag style.

That is one way that I could accept keeping a "lifer" alive. Make him/her work for a living instead of letting them sit around playing cards and getting high. Forced labor in prisons is something I am all for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
By the time you go through multiple appelate processes it is still cheaper to sentence to life without parole.  So the focus should be make holding facilities cheaper and more cost effective.  Also prisoners should be working to produce prison sufficiency and to support their outside commitments.  $12-17,000 per prisoner is just stupid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That is one way that I could accept keeping a "lifer" alive. Make him/her work for a living instead of letting them sit around playing cards and getting high. Forced labor in prisons is something I am all for.

Yeah, why not.  I have to work for a living, why doesn't a murderer have to work?  I don't think prisoners should be forced to endure "cruel and unusual punishment" but if working isn't cruel or unusual for me, then it isn't for them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
By the time you go through multiple appelate processes it is still cheaper to sentence to life without parole.  So the focus should be make holding facilities cheaper and more cost effective.  Also prisoners should be working to produce prison sufficiency and to support their outside commitments.  $12-17,000 per prisoner is just stupid.

I read somewhere that the average cost of capital murder/death sentence case is over 1million dollars, enough to incarcerate a prisoner for 40 years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I read somewhere that people on death row cost more than life sentences because they get lawyers provided at our expense to appeal their sentences. I would like to see this verified.

I would love to see the chain gangs started again.

"Shaking the bush, boss"
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Fry Tookie, again
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, why not.  I have to work for a living, why doesn't a murderer have to work?  I don't think prisoners should be forced to endure "cruel and unusual punishment" but if working isn't cruel or unusual for me, then it isn't for them.

I work 7 days a week usually...they should work atleast 6.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read somewhere that the average cost of capital murder/death sentence case is over 1million dollars, enough to incarcerate a prisoner for 40 years.

I was refferring to annual cost of holding each prisoner.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
No good answer

I'd prefer to see hard labor, chain-gang, work camps.

Making little rocks out of big ones.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was refferring to annual cost of holding each prisoner.

I was referring to your "By the time you go through multiple appellate processes it is still cheaper to sentence to life without parole" statement and agreeing with you by backing it up with that fact.

Don't worry, we are on the same page on this topic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If someone did something bad enough to be sentenced to "Life in Prison", they will should no longer be a productive member of society that can be trusted to go about their day-to-day business without incident.
There is no reason to let them take up time, money and resources from productive society to keep them alive.
I chose option 2, only because you didnt have a "Kill half and save the rest for medical experimentation".

Of course, the judicial system would need a massive overhaul in order to enact my plan.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I chose option 2, only because you didnt have a "Kill half and save the rest for medical experimentation".

I agree.  No life in prison.

If I were King of America the choices would be:
Human medical trials: if you survive it for 20 continuous years or until you are 65, whichever is longer, you may go.

or

Only two appeals and BZZZZT.

One or the other.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The penalty for child rape and over, should be instant death by electrocution. That is only pending irrefutable DNA testing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top