Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:01:40 AM EDT
Is it illegal to use them? Like in an apartment complex?

My son just hooked up his new computer and picked up about 4 open connections.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it illegal to use them? Like in an apartment complex?

My son just hooked up his new computer and picked up about 4 open connections.

Dunno. I'd do it, just not tell random people that OMgZORS! I"M TEH PIERATEENG INTRAWEBNET!!1!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Technically it is..... But, if he isnt hacking it and that person didnt secure it, go for it...
Just remember, its on there router. So they can see everything your doing.....(I.E. passwords)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Technically it is..... But, if he isnt hacking it and that person didnt secure it, go for it...
Just remember, its on there router. So they can see everything your doing.....(I.E. passwords)

How can they see what he's doing? I have a wireless router and I can't see what my step son is doing (from what I know..Or can I? )
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing illegal about it.  FREE .99 BABY!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If their router has the default password set (likely if you they don't know how to secure their connection), then you can access it and clear the access logs.  

Linksys:
user: <blank>
password:admin

Netgear
www.routerlogin.net
user:admin
password:password

But don't use it, it's really screwed up.  It will slow them down, especially if you download/upload something.  Find a way to leave them a message that their shit is not secure.  You can connect to their network and check "my network places".  If they are sharing all the files on their hard drive, you can put a file that says READ ME WHOEVER THIS IS or something and tell them how to secure it.

You can sometimes do a net send to them as well, which will cause a windows message to pop up.

Do the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If their router has the default password set (likely if you they don't know how to secure their connection), then you can access it and clear the access logs.  

Linksys:

Netgear
www.routerlogin.net

But don't use it, it's really screwed up.  It will slow them down, especially if you download/upload something.  Find a way to leave them a message that their shit is not secure.  You can connect to their network and check "my network places".  If they are sharing all the files on their hard drive, you can put a file that says READ ME WHOEVER THIS IS or something and tell them how to secure it.

You can sometimes do a net send to them as well, which will cause a windows message to pop up.

Do the right thing.

You mean pay for it by filling there comp up with free pRon?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can they see what he's doing? I have a wireless router and I can't see what my step son is doing (from what I know..Or can I? )

Routers log all traffic....And it can see all your doing. Website, passwords and so on. But then again. If they knew what they were doing the connection would probably be secured. Unless they wanted to screw with people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Routers log all traffic....And it can see all your doing. Website, passwords and so on. But then again. If they knew what they were doing the connection would probably be secured. Unless they wanted to screw with people.

How can I see what's on my router log? I want to see if my step son is looking at pron!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it is stealing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Just don't annoy anyone like yer doing now with stupid questions.    RTFM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can I see what's on my router log? I want to see if my step son is looking at pron!

Look at your manual, it will tell you about the logging information and how to read it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll think twice once you see he's looking at the ghey pron!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, I bet you REALLY just want to see if he found any good sites you could use
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I love it. Experts popping out of the wall telling you to read the fucking manual, but you still can't find a godddamn lower control arm for an 84 K-car.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I love it. Experts popping out of the wall telling you to read the fucking manual, but you still can't find a godddamn lower control arm for an 84 K-car.  

I didnt use the word "fucking"

You need a new one or used one?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I found it in the manual so poo on YOU! and my step son is looking at PS2 cheats and itunes which he can't download because he doesn't have an ipod...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I found it in the manual so poo on YOU! and my step son is looking at PS2 cheats and itunes which he can't download because he doesn't have an ipod...

baffled.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

See, you can really screw with his mind now....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OK..Why am I looking for one of those?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What?!?!?  No PRON?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linksys:

Netgear
www.routerlogin.net

Do the right thing.

www.bash.org/?202477
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yes, it is stealing.

And illegal… up to a felony in some places and depending on what you do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#23]
So you want to see what your son is surfing on your WAP? No problem, use a program called driftnet. Runs on linux and can sniff all graphic images from their wireless stream as well as video streaming. If you have keys setup on WAP, you must configure driftnet the same way. We use this package in my line of work and it works.  There is also another package called chaos reader that is a Perl script. It's a little more intelligent....DON'T get in trouble with these tools....Only use them in a legal way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So you want to see what your son is surfing on your WAP? No problem, use a program called driftnet. Runs on linux and can sniff all graphic images from their wireless stream as well as video streaming. If you have keys setup on WAP, you must configure driftnet the same way. We use this package in my line of work and it works.  There is also another package called chaos reader that is a Perl script. It's a little more intelligent....DON'T get in trouble with these tools....Only use them in a legal way.

Awesonme tools their but...Do you really think this guy knows anything abut *nix?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#27]
some states it is illegal (unless it is an obvious guest access)

other states it is okay but you cannot hack or be malicious

BASICALLY - if you did not pay for it it is not yours to use!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#28]
All is good. I spoke with him and told him what you guys said and told him he needed his own connection and he agreed. He's calling the cable company this week.

He's a good kid...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#29]
We have had this thread before.
In some states it is considered illegally entering a computer system, just the same as hacking. In others it is not.
....BUT....
Anytime you use an unknown wireless connection, the router can easily be LOGGING all your traffic,,,, including websites you visit, and passwords and login names you use. So it is not wise to use unknown WAP's for anything but generic "surfing" (don't visit anywhere you had to "set an account" at).
~
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#30]
How about using this a lesson to teach you son some honesty???????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
In most places, at the very least, it would be considered theft of service.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must first turn on the log.  It isn't automatic.

I have been known to turn on encryption and then set a misc. username and password on my dumb neighbor's wireless.  (I used to leave mine wide open too in the early days, stupid me.)

The annoying thing is my PC would often pick a router other than mine, regardless of default.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#33]
It depends on if you are stealing from the jar or the tray, the jar is Jerry's Kids..

There's nothing wrong with:
1. Having your WEP turned off so others can get "free" broadband on your dime unless the broadband provider says otherwise. All they can do is say,"No broadband for you!" They might have grounds to sue you for breach of contract and stuff, since you were running an unregistered commercial account.

2. Having your router security turned off so people can access your logs and stuff, it's not advisable though. You would have to reset your router a lot and clean your hard drive to get the illegal pr0n and stuff off..

It is wrong if you are accessing someone's unsecure router or using their Internet if they didn't say it was okay. It's even illegal if you're caught Warhacking and you can get arrested in some states but the victim usually has to report it during the act.

Caveat emptor: The author might be an idiot. The author writes as if the "real" world and his imaginary world are the same.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
hmmmm, need to check on the security of my wireless

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the right thing.

www.bash.org/?202477

LMAO  

most people have
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#36]
What you guys havent considered is that many people leave their connections open so other people can use them.  You also have to set up your comp to allow access by others on your network...firewalls are your friends
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ethereal - runs on windows and linux and captures all packets.

If you want to do indepth packet analysis.  Usually for the most hardcore hacker/cracker.

Most beneficial is to run Cain&Abel.  It will dynamically display the usernames and passwords and the protocol used to obtain them (http, SMTP, POP3, and even some Kerberos keys that can be broken with a rainbow table or reverse crack).  I have even used it to man-in-the-middle SSL encrypted sessions so that I can capture usernames/passwords.  If you are on the same network segment, you can capture any unencrypted username/password.  If you capture the MAC of the router and target host, you can man-in-the-middle them.

Of course, I do this as a CEH (whitehat) to test system security.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, it is stealing.

no... is watching your neighbors TV threw his front window from the street stealing cable?

keep your dam wifi out of my house and secured .. wanna have some fun with open wifis?... get on it, start a free email from yahoo, then start sending death threats to the ATF and gov. employees..

then set up a camera...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, it is stealing.

no... is watching your neighbors TV threw his front window from the street stealing cable?

keep your dam wifi out of my house and secured .. wanna have some fun with open wifis?... get on it, start a free email from yahoo, then start sending death threats to the ATF and gov. employees..

then set up a camera...

Or order a few sex toys for them with their Amazon account...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#40]
How do I lock mine down?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine looks open from the outside, but I have a Cisco PIX firewall between the wireless network and the internet.  Nothing but WEB and FTP are allowed and only using a username and password when on the straight wireless connection.  I then have a server setup in the house that acts as a VPN server and router between the wireless network and my home wired network.  Connect to that VPN and you are trusted like one of my home wired PCs and can surf till you drop.  

This way it's easy for family/friends to connect to my wireless network, and the VPN connection is simple to make.  However I don't have to endure WEP and it's slowdown of thoughput, remembering HEX keys and MAC addresses or any of that other crap.  Anyone who gets on without a VPN connection is going nowhere.  So that is how a geek sets up an 'open' wireless network.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Use it all you like!!!!!!

However, if you get caught for something, whatever it may be, be sure to MAN UP and admit that you were using something that you didn't pay for -- don't try to punk out.

Ok?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
How about using this a lesson to teach you son some honesty???????????????????????

Read 2 posts above yours. That's just what I did. All I asked if it was illegal.. General question. He's not using the open routers. I told him it was dishonest and stealing and to get his own. That is exactly what he's doing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys sure do keep us grammar nazis busy.  

(no apostrophe)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah its illegal, in general.

That said, I'm using one right now, named "linksys".  I've also got a spoofed MAC address though, and nothing short of a hardware directional locator can tie me to that system - that I know of :0)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#46]
wow there is alot of nerds on this gun site  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
wow there is alot of nerds on this gun site  

Your just now noticing that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:46:37 AM EDT
[#48]

How do I lock mine down?

MAC filtering is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:11:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

How do I lock mine down?

MAC filtering is your friend.

+1

At the very least

1. Change your default router name
2. Do NOT broadcast your SSID
3. Use MAC filtering
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
How do I lock mine down?

RTFM....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top