Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 11:40:33 PM EDT
There are clippings from the local LEOs activities everyday in the paper.  You read all the time where someone was arrested for driving while his drivers license was suspended.  Then it will say it was suspended 5 times.  OK, how many times can you suspend the same license?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
well if you get it renewed you can get it suspended over and over as long as you renew after each time

also it can be suspended for 5 different reasons. maybe thats whats going on in your case
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know you only get one number for life .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as I know you only get one number for life .

but that number can  be suspended and renewed as many times as you can afford to play this game
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on whether the state's statute has a limit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there, done that.

You pay the past due tickets, pay to reinstate, off you go.

Bitch of it is, they can suspend your license WITHOUT notifying you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's conceptually similar to jail terms. In Florida, you get a DUI, and your license is suspended for 6 mos. You get popped driving during the suspension period. At least 90 days will be added to the suspension. The following day, the deadline for paying your DUI fine passes. Your license is suspended by the DMV until the fine is paid. You go out driving a week later. The computers are down, so you just get a speeding ticket instead of a new arrest for driving during the suspension. That puts you over 12 points in a year, so a thirty day suspension kicks in automatically when you pay the speeding fine. That suspension will continue after the 30 days until you go to the DMV and pay a $25 reinstatement fee. Et c., et c.

By being a moderately poor crappy driver with a taste for the grape, you've made yourself a cash cow for the state.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#7]
This is annother humorous  gesture from all of our friends that make the rules.

The answer is,- they may drive , without restiction, as long as they live.

The terminator was busted without a motorcycle license recently.

The same goes for suspended licenses.... Why do I care? I'll just turn the key.

Suspended license... funny... that'll stop em.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well if you get it renewed you can get it suspended over and over as long as you renew after each time

also it can be suspended for 5 different reasons. maybe thats whats going on in your case

I havent had even a ticket in over 10years!  

I have been pulled over several times. But LEOs seem to have a soft spot for docs. Especially if you have delivered their kid.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been pulled over several times. But LEOs seem to have a soft spot for docs. Especially if you have delivered their kid.  

Damn. Let me guess - yer one of those show off "alive" docs, huh? Tougher and tougher to sell snakeoils these old days.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn. Let me guess - yer one of those show off "alive" docs, huh? Tougher and tougher to sell snakeoils these old days.

Nope, LEOs are accomodating when you are going to the hospital for an emergency.  

Got a lot of tickets in your past eh.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, LEOs are accomodating when you are going to the hospital for an emergency.  

Got a lot of tickets in your past eh.

Ticket free for 10+ years...

I was just making a joke aboout you being a "good" doc.  It's obviously lost... these are not the droids you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#12]
you can suspend a license only once, then again after the suspension period is up and the license is reinstated it can be suspended again.  However  you can get arrested >1 times for driving on a suspended license.  Note some might consider driving on a suspended license a non-violent crime right up with there with roller skating in the street or meth posession and thus not worthy of being arrested for
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There are clippings from the local LEOs activities everyday in the paper.  You read all the time where someone was arrested for driving while his drivers license was suspended.  Then it will say it was suspended 5 times.  OK, how many times can you suspend the same license?

It can be suspended, then renewed and re-suspended.

Or they may mean driving on a suspended with 7 prior convictions for the same.

Or there can be multiple suspensions on file. such as the drivers license get suspended by DMV for a DUI arrest.  then when convicted of that DUI the court also suspends his licenses. Then he gets into an accident driving with a suspended and DMV adds another suspension for no insurance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
.  Note some might consider driving on a suspended license a non-violent crime right up with there with roller skating in the street or meth posession and thus not worthy of being arrested for

Yep.

I can ticket for CVC 14601.1(a) Driving on a suspended but cannot book to that offense.  In order to ticket for it ther must be proof the driver Knowingly drove while his license was suspended.

If he gets his license back before court the judge will usually dismiss the case, or let him plead down to an infraction of unlisensed driver (CVC 12500(a) with a $10-$70 fine.  Piss the judge off an get a bunch of driving on a supendeds and eventually you will get 10 days in county jail.

Your car can also be impounded for 30-days under CVC 14602.6(a), or stored under CVC 22651p. Although State senator Gil Sedillo wants to take that away as it hurts illegal immigrants.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]
But come on guys if there is a person with a repetitive behavior and driving violations, it should pretty obvious that they should not reinstate the license or that the person should have some time without one.  

I know that they will drive even without one but there doesnt seem to be a real effort to stop them either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But come on guys if there is a person with a repetitive behavior and driving violations, it should pretty obvious that they should not reinstate the license or that the person should have some time without one.  

I know that they will drive even without one but there doesnt seem to be a real effort to stop them either.

That's because you can't stop them, short of locking them up forever, or crippling them in sucha manner as they can't operate a vehicle.

This is more money-making nonsense control to make people bow before the mighty authority of the State.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a few tickets while I lived in NJ. Well, I had enough points on the license to rack up the "insurance surcharge".  I paid all the tickets. (Had to pay the surcharge for the next so many years).

So fast forward..I move to FL, traded in my NJ license for a Florida one. I joined the .mil, and end up in Omaha, NE. I get a call from a my mother about a notice she got in the mail that my license was supsended in NJ.

Even though I was no longer a resident of NJ, I still had to pay the fucking insurance surcharge and the re-instatement fee...

My Florida license was never suspended though...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My Cousin's husband delivered a significant percentage of the born in Eastland over the past 20 years- He didn't get pulled over very often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top