Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:36:54 PM EDT
I think I may have a ringworm fungus infection, does Tinactin anti fungus ointment work to get rid of the infection?

I think I got it from a buying a used peacoat off ebay, because I noticed the coat did have several cat hairs on it when I got it, and after I wore it a few times, I got the ringworm looking lesion on my neck and it started to feel itchy.

will dry cleaning the coat get rid of the bacteria? or should I discard the coat?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I had ringworm when I was a kid, store bought treatment didn't work for ring worm for me.  I ended up using garlic, garlic killed it.    

As for cleaning the coat, I have no idea.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It's better than having pinworms.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My youngster got a small patch of it once.  It takes two to three weeks of the over the counter stuff to get rid of it.  

Bacteria is easy to take care of.  Fungus takes more time.

(eta:  I should remember that garlic idea)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I had it on my hand once (from a cat, too), and a doctor gave me a perscription for some stuff that I had to rub on it. Tinactin will work,just not as quickly as something stronger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck getting an appointment to get a doctor to look at it.  I tried five of them in 2000 when I had what I think was a ringworm infection, but none would accept an appointment for a new patient for that reason.  I haven't seen a doctor since I was 13, and I've really tried several times to do so.

A coworker that had had it a few months before gave me a little tube of Spectazole.  It took about six weeks for the ~2" across red circle to go away completely.z
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had one
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad got it, he was in canada last summer and... it's unclear from where but... any way the doc gave otc meds. and some prec. pills for it. so u mite want to see the doc?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a minor infection when I was about 14 years old.  Dermatologist told me to put over-the-counter fungal ointment and it went away after about a month.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I had it on my thumb when I was a kid. Over the counter anti-fungal ointment worked. I don't remember how long it took, but I remember that it wasn't fast enough.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Got it now. Get the pill prescription. Ointment takes forever.

My birthday: May 7, 1954  yours also?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I think my nephew has one now... It's about 1/8" diameter and his mom is keeping an eye on it to see if there is any change. She's not sure if it's ringworm and apparently isn't/can't see a doctor.

....I can't think of anything else it could possibly be.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 for the pill. I got it in Basic on PI. Pills I got killed anything that wasn't supposed to be there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I had it in Vietnam half the damn time I was there, use chlorox, strong a solution as you can take.

rk
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I had it on my forearm once when I was a kid. My grandpa made a paste of burnt newspaper and water and plastered it on there every night for a couple of weeks and it went away.

I am not a doctor, nor do I recommend this treatment. This information was provided for historical purposes only. I'm sure that there are much better commercial pharmaceutical treatments on the market.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I usually get it in the summer time, usually on my legs where things get warm and sweaty.  Just use OTC ointment, it goes away in a week.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had it in Vietnam half the damn time I was there, use chlorox, strong a solution as you can take.

A winner, Clorox works wonders. It also works on sun spots and athletes foot. Dab on with cotton ball 3 to 4 times a day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I suggest you go to a dermatologist and get a diagnosis of exactly what you have before you start treating something with the wrong medication.

www.mayoclinic.com/health/ringworm/DS00489/DSECTION=1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for the pill. I got it in Basic on PI. Pills I got killed anything that wasn't supposed to be there.

Careful with the pills they can mess up your liver pretty good if it has any problems.  Try over the counter athletes foot cremes.  If it really is that small it should be gone in a week or so.  And if it is staying that small it probably isn't ring worm.  A Doc is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The pills have some toxicity and using that for a small area of ringworm is BS. Pisses me off when docs do some of this shit.

Tinea corporis = ringworm

It is a fungus as noted

OTC topical agents(creams and sprays) typcially work fine. People mostly have problems with resolution because they don't use them properly, forget or stop to soon.

You can use any of them. Lotrimin, monistat, lamisil. I'd go 4-6 times daily with the first 2 and 2-4 times daily with the lamisil regardless of directions. Use for a good week after it "appears" resolved or it is likely to come back. Work it into the skin well with each application.
You can use prescription antifungal creams also. In all honesty I don't think they really work much better than the OTC except it gives an added placebo effect for the nutjobs out there.

Trick is to be aggressive and stick with it.

There are things that look similar to ringworm but aren't. Can even fool docs early on but the sotry you give would be typcial. Early pityriasis and early staph infections of the skin(impetigo) can resemble it.
It has a round to oval apppearance with slightly darkened border that is also slightly raised and usually has a little scale to it.

It is contagious and can spread to other parts of your skin or family members with close contact. Doesn't happen a whole lot though.

Get the coat dry cleaned. It will probably take care of it. Probably.
I wouldn't buy used clothing. Good way to get all kinds of shit incl TB, lice, etc.
If you do so I would sure have the stuff cleaned or washed before wearing.

A fun story.
I saw a guy a couple of years ago with crusty sores on his face. Clearly impetigo(staph). I explained that and tried to figure out where he was getting it. Focused on skin hygeine, razor, etc. He was using the electric shaver he used on the dog to shave his face. Got really pissed off when I told him that was where he was probably getting it. Didn't want to hear it. Didn't believe my diagnosis. Guy had an IQ of about 80 on a good day but obviously knew more than I did about it.
"I've had this for a couple of years now. Keeps coming back." As if it had to be something else.
How long was he using the same shaver as the dog? "2-3 years now."
didn't matter, he didn't want to hear it, didn't want to take antibiotics for it or use any ointment. I guess I was supposed to pull a fucking magic wand out of my ass and use that.
Sent him to derm. They could tell him.

Garlic huh?

You know some things just go away on their own.  

Ah hell, never mind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had it on my thumb when I was a kid. Over the counter anti-fungal ointment worked. I don't remember how long it took, but I remember that it wasn't fast enough.

Quit sucking your thumb
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's to using a fresh razor....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think I may have a ringworm fungus infection, does Tinactin anti fungus ointment work to get rid of the infection?

I think I got it from a buying a used peacoat off ebay, because I noticed the coat did have several cat hairs on it when I got it, and after I wore it a few times, I got the ringworm looking lesion on my neck and it started to feel itchy.

will dry cleaning the coat get rid of the bacteria? or should I discard the coat?

What I was getting to on the birthday (may 7 1954) was THAT,THAT was the day the frewnch lost vietnam.  So I figured with your name and all..... might have the same b=day?

ARDog

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here's to using a fresh razor....

www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/pictures22/cdc/4807_lores.jpg

or growing a beard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top