Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:50:24 PM EDT
When do you bring up your love of guns when first dating a girl?  And, does it cause problems?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Never get that far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Usually when I'm kissing her goodnight and she feels it while groping me...

Dude, you almost made me piss myself, laughing at that!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
heheh i got lucky with mine she knew from the beginning and was kinda against it till i took her shooting, now she cant get enough of it hehe. it brought a tear to my eye heheh
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So, uh, how would one go about explaining the 1911 on the night stand, along with the 590A1 and M4 in the closet?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
In the heat of the moment, stripping off our clothes, I ever so gently remove my belt and VMII with handgun inserted and lay it on the nightstand.

If she gets freaked out, fine... see ya.

If she gets more turned on... .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Never have had to deal with that issue, but that could be because I currently have no time/money for a girlfriend.  All of my friends who have girlfriends are broke, and I can't afford to be any more broke than I am now.

But I don't exactly keep the fact that I'm obsessed interested in guns a secret either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I let her bring it up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I let her bring it up.

How did SHE bring it up?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When do you bring up your love of guns when first dating a girl?  And, does it cause problems?

Thats one of the first things I bring up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Usually it gets brought up durring the first date or two when discussing hobbies.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I only ask because my honey was very sly about it... asking my opinion (first date) about something or other...  Never giving his opinion, but just letting me run at the mouth about my glory days in trap and skeet shooting... still didn't let me know what a freak he was though....  just kept quiet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
What a stupid question.  The guys here never date girls and most of them don't even date guys either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I let her bring it up.

How did SHE bring it up?

while discussing some local crime,  her exact words were  "well, I think everyone should walk around with a gun on their hip.  It'd be a lot safer."
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

while discussing some local crime,  her exact words were  "well, I think everyone should walk around with a gun on their hip.  It'd be a lot safer."

DING DING DING !!

We have a keeper!

Woody
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DING DING DING !!

We have a keeper!

Woody

yep; proposed to her a couple of years later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I have met exactly one who was enthusiastic about guns. I nearly married her and probably should have, except she was crazy. Not a good combination with guns. The other one that I almost married didn't understand why I had 2 ARs and 3 1911s. That made no sense, but her dad owning three Harleys (which no one but him could ride) made perfect sense.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, you almost made me piss myself, laughing at that!!!

The funny part is its true...  I once had my Kel-tec P-32 in a pocket holster and she brushed up against it while we were on the couch and her words were, "shit you're hard!"  I didn't realize she had momentarily brushed the pistol and I thought she had noticed the wet sticky circle forming on my khakis around zipper level.

All's well that end's well... over and over and over...

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Usually I just whip it out. If she reaches for and wants to hold it, its all good from there. Then after we finish, I will show her my gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
About when I insert my mag in her lower receiver.

Seriously, I make it clear that's who I am. I was recently single in summer and surprised that it didn't seem to scare off any that I spoke to. The one I'm with now was apprehensive but now she's been shooting and doesn't care. I think that after introducing her to shooting she went from slightly afraid of firearms to thinking of them as kind of dorky. Probably because I talk too much about the history of them etc
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
The girl I'm dating will grab my hip and check to see if my HK USP45 compact is on my hip. She gets really turned on when she feels it. She knew I carried before we started dating. We work together, and she found out early.  I cant live without this girl, if I ever take some "safe" pics of her, I will post them.

Some people here should remember the pics I posted in the members forum. I did the first AR15.com dessert pic!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Chicks dig it, man!

Most of the time they know I like guns before the dating starts
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#24]
So the concensus is that it is a non-issue?

Girls either already knew, didn't have a problem when found out, or were turned on by it?

So why do people seem so weird about letting the secret out?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I dont put it up front, but I make it known fairly early in a nonchalant way.  With my current GF I brought up gun fondling and she laughed, she knew axactly what I was talking about cause her Grandad use to mess his guns all the time.  I'm fortunate cause she likes guns and I'm taking her shooting this week!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thats awesome, so when she asks, "is that a gun or are you happy to see me me?", you can say,  "Its my gat, baby".
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Bitch finds out real quick first time she refuses to make me a sandwich.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I dont put it up front, but I make it known fairly early in a nonchalant way.  With my current GF I brought up gun fondling and she laughed, she knew axactly what I was talking about cause her Grandad use to mess his guns all the time.  I'm fortunate cause she likes guns and I'm taking her shooting this week!hr

I hope that does not mean you had to clean white goo off them afterwards!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#29]
It has never been an issue for me, It comes up early, I explain why I have them, and make my case in an intelligent and reserved manner. Usually they get the idea that the guns are going to stay wether they do or not, so it never becomes a problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

On the first date I took her to the range and she out shot me.  We had sex roughly three hours later...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the first date I took her to the range and she out shot me.  We had sex roughly three hours later...

So you had rough sex three hours later? Or, you have sex about three hours after shooting?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I found a girlfriend that had NO problems with guns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish I could date a girl that wouldn't think I was
Charles Manson when I tell her I am into firearms.

It really sucks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I went out with a girl one time she knew I was packing, and she got al gleeful happy and said that when she made love to her old boyfriend while he was doin' her he would point a gun at her head, I was not turned on by that though, think I saw her one time after that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I don't love guns...I love freedom, and guns are just a tool...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Wait and see if she makes it through a few dates.  If it comes up in politics earlier, I won't knuckle under though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I wish I could date a girl that wouldn't think I was
Charles Manson when I tell her I am into firearms.

It really sucks.

Try being a girl in CA, when a guy finds out what your hobby is.  The most common response is "I'm never pissing YOU off."
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#39]
IMHO, it is on a "need to know basis". It seems most women think any guns are unnecesary therefore I don't mention them and hide them. My ex wife hated them and wanted to know why I had so many. As you guys know, 9 total is not alot. Oh, I also find, that never mentioning any of my hobbies (ie cars, diving, model boats) at all, whatsoever also helps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#40]
i would say it depends on the girl, my gf's dad was a cop for over 20 years, so she is good with it, has a shottie and her dad's service revolver when he retired.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What a stupid question.  The guys here never date girls and most of them don't even date guys either.

judging by the way you put your sentence, you would rather date a guy than have no date?

to answer the original question, I usually don't think much about it. If she hits it and asks, then I'll say.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I let the chips fall where they may.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't advertise.  
I usually avoid that kind of thing on the first date.  
"Hi.  I'm efpeter.  I like guns and I hate Democrats.  What sounds good tonight?  Lamb or veal?"  Ya' baby.  I save that for the second date!

Now my wife just thinks it is funny.  "You want a holster for Christmas?  Bullets?  Where do I even get those things???"   Well, God bless her, she got me three boxes of white box 5.56!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#44]
They usually ask what that gigantic green safe is in my living room.  The giant "Winchester" logo is a bit of a hint for the decently-informed.

More specifically let's wind back the past couple of girlfriends . . .

C. was the girl I met at the range while she was shooting a Colt Python.

Ad. didn't like guns and I never took her shooting but she liked having my pistol over when she was housesitting in a rough neighborhood.

M. likes to shoot but prefers long-barreled revolvers as high priced sex toys.  Seriously.

R. liked to shoot my dad's Model 10 and was a great shot with a 44-40 single action.  Always asked if I was carrying when we went out.

E. hated guns because her father owned a gun and she hated her father.

Am. never went shooting with me because I did not quite trust the crazed gleam she got in her eye when she picked up my Colt Government.

B. was a total pacifist and lib but I got her to the range once to teach her with a .22 and a shotgun.  The video of her shooting the shotgun is hilarious for the bloodcurdling scream of surprise at the recoil.  

Q. isn't mine yet but she always wanted to be a Bond Girl and wants me to take her shooting.

I guess that is all the girlfriends that I have had in the two years that I have been shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#45]
My AR15.com hat usually gives it away.  I've never had it be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife would kill me if she knew my girlfriend found out about my carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh, just thought of something funny. This girl I am seeing (kinda) now shoots with her father. She has gotten some ideas that I amy be into it but not to what extent. Anyway, in talking she said her dad had her shooting a .22 and then later he taught her to shoot a "356". I did'nt say a word, just appreciated the fact she was talking about guns (in a positive way).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#48]
well my now wife was raised a demoncrat, and was raised that guns where not a great thing, just not in her parents house. now she has no problems with guns, i have even taken her shooting, and she has a shotgun. but she is more of an indendant now, she votes for decent people either way, but she was never a all democratic voter
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I have never had any problems with guns and dateing.  my last girlfriend saw my AR when she came over one evening and thought it was kinda cool. i think it was our 3rd or 4th date.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
IMHO, it is on a "need to know basis". It seems most women think any guns are unnecesary therefore I don't mention them and hide them. My ex wife hated them and wanted to know why I had so many. As you guys know, 9 total is not alot. Oh, I also find, that never mentioning any of my hobbies (ie cars, diving, model boats) at all, whatsoever also helps.

That's because you're supposed to listen. Women aren't interested in what you can tell them...   they're interested in what they can tell you. Your interests/etc are just filler until she can start talking about herself.

Per arfcom's latest 'wimmenz' thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top