Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 5:40:07 PM EDT
Back in December I moved over to death investigations. Essentially,  I investigate violent, unattended or suspicious deaths and document the circumstances surrounding them.  This documentation is then taken into consideration by the coroner in assigning a cause of death.  LOTS of dead people.   CSI without the TV budget if you will

I've noted something pretty disturbing.  Folks younger than me and in better shape are kicking off a lot. For example,  I had a 41-year old  suffer a massive heart attack on his couch tonight. His risk factors were overweight, hypertension and smoking.   A 32-year old died playing basketball yesterday.  He had no risk factors at all.   If you average my cases from the past month and leave out the suicides and heroin overdoses the average age is 38 years.  Main cause is either stroke or heart attack.  Young guys either die from car wrecks or suicide/overdoses.  Women don't die that much at all.

Have any of you guys given consideration to your health and lifestyle considerations lately?  I know that I have.

Smoking, hypertension, obesity, chronic alcohol, and past or current  drug use seem to be common factors.  I'm overdue for a cholesterol check.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yeah....why do you think I take care of my 41 year old ass?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My doc told me to reduce the stress in my life, esp from my work, he said it will kill me if I dont.

As well as lose some wieght.

Guess we will see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever since I quit commercial fishing and left Kodiak, i don't seem to have the problem of losing friends left and right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Women don't die that much at all.

dye, or die......

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Smoking, hypertension, obesity, chronic alcohol, and past or current  drug use seem to be common factors.

Oh great, I'm fucked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Smoking, hypertension, obesity, chronic alcohol, and past or current  drug use seem to be common factors.

Oh great, I'm fucked.

Me too. See y'all on the other side!

I'm goin' kickin' and screamin' though!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 48. I had a physical last week, and told the doc I wanted to get my heart checked because my dad had two heart attacks before he was fifty. The doc said "Don't worry, you probably take after your mom".

I told him my mom died at 42.    

I had a pile of squadronmates get killed when I was in my twenties, and I knew the whole crew of AA #11 on 9/11. I tend to lose friends in batches, with nothing left to bury.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm 48. I had a physical last week, and told the doc I wanted to get my heart checked because my dad had two heart attacks before he was fifty. The doc said "Don't worry, you probably take after your mom".

I told him my mom died at 42.    

I had a pile of squadronmates get killed when I was in my twenties, and I knew the whole crew of AA #11 on 9/11. I tend to lose friends in batches, with nothing left to bury.  

Bumped to add another one.  (kind of funny is a sick sort of way)  40- year old male, dead in his cubicle at work, was not found until  today.  He had McDonald's for dinner.  ( receipt in the bag) The only risk factor I'm aware of was that he weighed in at 291 lbs.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I tend to lose friends in batches, with nothing left to bury.  

Remind me to keep my distance from you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top