Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 2:50:38 PM EDT
Is it? My little sister (Recently turned left-wing wacko nutjob) who has BPD wants to join the ANG. She hasn't graduated from HS though.

She told me that it was fine as long as she took her meds.

I am pretty sure BPD is an automatic disqualifier for the military....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]

I would sure hope so.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
wasn't the guy that freaked out on that plane and said he had a bomb bipolar?

I would imagine that you would need to not be on any medication to join the service, but that is just a guess...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would sure hope so.

No kidding.  +1

If only there was a way to control it-IE if you are going into combat flip on the 'rage' and when you get back turn it 'off' .

If that's not a disqualifer, I'm pretty sure there is a ton of other stuff that would bar her.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell her WTF?  Your already in the ANG! Now go take your meds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child (5 years old) and am worried about being able to join the military in a few years.  Such bullshit...I was quite hyper as a child but why would it go away when I got older?  Whatever the case, I have not taken any medication for at least 6 years. (I'm 18).  I actually started refusing to take it around 7th or 8th grade.  Guess what, no change...except I wasn't sick all the time from the various drugs (including amphetimines)

I am pretty sure that bi-polar disorder is quite a bit more severe.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, she won't be joining any mil service.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and am worried about being able to join the military in a few years.  Such bullshit...

I doubt you'll have a problem.  Actually, I wouldn't even mention such a minor, insignificant (non) condition.

I hope so!  It doesn't sound like it should be a problem, I just hope that a childhood misdiagnosis (IMO) does not come back to haunt me in the future.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Bi-Polar NoGo!

ADHD, before you see a recruiter go get cleared by a real doctor and make sure they prove no longer on  prescriptions in the past 1.5 yrs or more. Bring those docs in to the recruiter. Still probably end up with a Psych consult through MEPS but stand a good chance of getting in.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
BiPolar, no way.  Never gonna happen.  ADHD, yes, if you've been off meds for at least two years.  Have documentation to back it up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I fucking hope so, although "some" of the women I worked with and for in the military should have all been named Eve.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The recruiters will only know what you tell them. They dont do exhaustive psychological testing on every one that wants to enlist.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a good friend, SGT in the ANG who was bipolar.  In fact, he was getting his medicine from the VA hospital.  So long as he took it (and he always did, to my knowledge) he was fine.  He deployed in Gulf War I and performed without incident. Smart guy and he was easy to get along with.

Towards the end of his 8 years, somebody in his unit found out he was bipolar and on medication; he was immediately put on weapons restriction, and ultimately asked not to re-enlist.

I don't know what official policy there is, but maybe "don't ask-- don't tell, mind your manners, keep your nose clean and do your job" applies to the situation.  Actually that applies to most any situation :)

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
BiPolar, no way.  Never gonna happen.  ADHD, yes, if you've been off meds for at least two years.  Have documentation to back it up.

they changed to this after finding out that such a high percent got prescribed ritalin, etc these days.  I can remember talking to recruiters about it when my kid first showed interest and hed taken ritalin for a year before a real Doc stopped it.  Turned out he ws hyper because one of his friends told one of the wanna be gangbangers that my kid had narc'd on him.  And my kid spent most of his time checking his 6.

Then about 2 years later I talked with the Recruiters again and they said they had had the change come through.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes, she won't be joining any mil service.

Shame though.

Probably make a fine little woman marine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a prosthetic head.  Think I can get a waiver?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is it? My little sister (Recently turned left-wing wacko nutjob) who has BPD wants to join the ANG. She hasn't graduated from HS though.

You sound spiteful.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they changed to this after finding out that such a high percent got prescribed ritalin, etc these days.  I can remember talking to recruiters about it when my kid first showed interest and hed taken ritalin for a year before a real Doc stopped it.  Turned out he ws hyper because one of his friends told one of the wanna be gangbangers that my kid had narc'd on him.  And my kid spent most of his time checking his 6.

Then about 2 years later I talked with the Recruiters again and they said they had had the change come through.

I decided to stop taking the medication on my own, and my mother supported it.  My dad never believed I had anything wrong...but my mother was desperate because she felt that she couldn't control me as a child.  Today she feels real bad about it.  Honestly, the doctor talked to her more than he talked to me.  When he did talk to me, I had no idea what the hell he was saying because he was Bulgarian or something.  I have my diagnosis here somewhere, maybe I'll post it later for a laugh.  

I was diagnosed with ADHD and something else (ODD I think).  Apparently not looking at the doctor in the eye when he is talking because you are FIVE and he is an authoritiy figure is some kind of symptom of ADD.  Being hyper like almost any other kid that age is also a problem.

The reason I stopped taking the medication was because the doctor finally suggested after nothing helped my poor organization (messy room and backpack) and not getting along with my LITTLE ANNOYING BROTHER  (who hasn't had a little brother that wasn't annoying as hell)  that I might be depressed.  That's right folks,  I was taking medication because I am disorganized.  Hell yeah!  What kind of medication?  Let's see:  Ritalin in kindergarden/first grade, followed by (not in this order) dexedrine, imipramine, and some others.  When I first started freshman year (just before I stopped going to this crazy doctor)  I was given adderall or some tweaker shit.  He assured me it would help my organization.  I tried it once, but I was so fucked up in class that I was praying for the bell to ring.

Soon after this is when he prescribed me Prozac for non-existant depression.  Nevermind that I had no symptoms of depression, was perfectly happy at the time, and that is not the reason we were there.  At this point there was absolutely no mention of me being hyper (despite the fact that I supposedly had ADHD)...it was all because I was disorganized.  I have no idea where he got the idea I was depressed, he barely talked to me.  He usually asked me how my teachers were and shit like that.  It was probably something my mom said to him, but I'll never know for sure.  

My mom was stunned...we flushed the pills t and stopped going (but after several years of going there, the damage was done).  Those "behavioral psychologists" were FUCKING QUACKS!  If you have kids,  be careful.

Is there any way as an adult to petition your medical records from the doctor?  I want to see what that wack job was writing about me.  I also want to go to a real doctor eventually and have him confirm that I do not have ADHD or anything else wrong with me.   I want this bullshit diagnosis to be reversed.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's something interesting from Wikipedia:

Oppositonal Defiant Disorder (ODD) an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile, and defiant behavior toward authority figures that goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior.

When a child cannot seem to control his anger or frustration, even over what seems to be trivial or simple to others. The child will often react in violent or negative ways to his own feelings. A physician will commonly refer the child to a psychiatrist who will determine if the child frequently shows four or more of the following behaviors or signs of the disorder for more than six months:

* Arguing with adults
   * Losing temper
   * Angry or resentful of others
   * Actively defies adults requests or rules
   * Negative attitude
   * Blames others for their own mistakes or behaviors
   * Seems touchy or easily annoyed by others
   * Deliberately annoys others
   * Acts spiteful or vindictive

In the past this would be a misbehaving child.  Now it's a disorder.  Certainly makes it easier to test drugs on kids.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Having a recruiter in the family, and having worked as the same, I can tell you that there are waivers for just about everything, including BPD.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having a recruiter in the family, and having worked as the same, I can tell you that there are waivers for just about everything, including BPD.

-Ben

How about aviator at age 31??       sorry, had to do it
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

-Ben

How about aviator at age 31??       sorry, had to do it[/qoute]

Talk to the national guard...

-Ben

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Perhaps you could answer my question.  I know they let homos in with the "don't ask, don't tell policy", but what about hermaphrodites/transexuals?  You know, someone born with two sets of plumbing?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Perhaps you could answer my question.  I know they let homos in with the "don't ask, don't tell policy", but what about hermaphrodites/transexuals?  You know, someone born with two sets of plumbing?

Never encounted that situation.  I am not sure what would be done with that.

-Ben

(ETA: at least I honestly tell you when I don't know, unlike the classic "surrrreee kid, you can be a Ranger, promise, that is what this RIP contract is!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top