Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:25:44 PM EDT
Well, my business bank account has been hacked twice this week. Each time they've cleared all remaining funds, even though my account is supposedly "closed". They are trying to draw money out by using past payment/payout sources. So far they've gotten away with quite a bit of money. All of this has been happening online.

We called the FBI, they told us to call the local police.

We called the local police, and they acted clueless as to why the FBI would send us to them.

We had the bank account closed, but it's funny that funds were still added to the account afterwards, then taken by the thief/thieves again.

Who the hell do I contact to get this settled. The bank isn't doing shit, the Feds don't seem too concerned, and the local cops are anything but helpful.

I just love being fucking robbed broke while everyone turns a blind eye to it.

ANY reccomendation would be helpful at this point.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, the bank owes you money if they're still fucking up your account and money is being taken out of it. Go down to their office and pound on their desk, and demand the funds be restored.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Uh, the bank owes you money if they're still fucking up your account and money is being taken out of it. Go down to their office and pound on their desk, and demand the funds be restored.

That''s going to happen first thing monday when they're open. I just found out more funds had been stolen about an hour ago. I'm sure they'll get the point.

I still want to find the fucking wastes of oxygen so they can enjoy a nice stay at the Federal ass pounding concrete hotel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
We do some bookkeeping for several companies, and we found that an employee of one of our customers stole over $240,000 over a three year period.  It ended-up putting the company out of business and about ten people out of work.  The local police wouldn't do anything, and the FBI wouldn't even return phone calls.  At least the local police apologized for not having the expertise to pursue this type of crime.  Good luck getting anyone to do anything.z
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Any chance you can get the password changed before monday?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you were burned by the Nigerians.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That''s going to happen first thing monday when they're open. I just found out more funds had been stolen about an hour ago. I'm sure they'll get the point.

I still want to find the fucking wastes of oxygen so they can enjoy a nice stay at the Federal ass pounding concrete hotel.

I bet the bank is closed on monday.
Good luck though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like you were burned by the Nigerians.

Go to the bank and threaten to dead them with the clique mob.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That was the first thing we did before completely closing out the account.  

As for the Nigerians, we don't accept any business outside of the US, aside from one or two good friends. Who ever is doing it is actually hacking into our account. So far they've used the information from one of our parts suppliers, and one of our customers.

It's just a huge mess and none of the authorities even give a shit, even though we are probably not the only multi thousand dollar vicitms of these assholes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck though.

SHIT!!! I didn't even think about that. Looks like I'll haveto wait until Tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the first thing we did before completely closing out the account. ...

make sure there isn't some  "password recovery" feature or question or email system setup.

eta:  it's probably compromised on a larger level and many ppl have had it happen to them - the bank wouldn't tell you if it was bigger than just you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

make sure there isn't some  "password recovery" feature or question or email system setup.

eta:  it's probably compromised on a larger level and many ppl have had it happen to them - the bank wouldn't tell you if it was bigger than just you.

The bank account is supposed to be 100% closed. All of our checks, credit cards, debit cards and such are supposed to be junk. We can't do anything with the account, but payments are still coming in, and these assholes keep stripping the account down.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck though.

SHIT!!! I didn't even think about that. Looks like I'll haveto wait until Tuesday.

Isn't there some emergency phone number that you can use to call the bank?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's what gets me.

Your bank has to receive a routing number so it knows where to transfer the funds to. Why can't they trace and seize all funds that have been routed to the crooks number? or even try to sue the other financial institute for receiving stolen funds.

DAmn my spelling is cracked tonight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, I'm unaware of it if they have one (emergency number). The account should be closed, but who ever is doing this is still getting in. I'm completely amazed that funds are still being added to a "closed" account though. They're legitimate funds that shouldn't be going through either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's what gets me.

Your bank has to receive a routing number so it knows where to transfer the funds to. Why can't they trace and seize all funds that have been routed to the crooks number? or even try to sue the other financial institute for receiving stolen funds.

DAmn my spelling is cracked tonight.

That's another funny part. The funds are being wired through to past business aquaintences that are legitimate, and have been notified of what's going on.

Our biggest parts supplier is one, and the other is an ebay bidder from a few months ago. The first one was notified and they contacted their local authorities. The second one was sent an e-mail, but hasn't responded yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had my account hacked...twice. Both times the bank had no problem telling me that my family was also effected as well as countless other people. They probably can't release names, but they should have no problems telling you if more people are effected by this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Every bank that I have experience with, has a number that I can contact 24/7/365 for situations like you describe.
Maybe it is on their homepage.
One the one occasion that I used it, they were very helpful.

I don't understand how a closed account can have activity though
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Every bank that I have experience with, has a number that I can contact 24/7/365 for situations like you describe.
Maybe it is on their homepage.
One the one occasion that I used it, they were very helpful.

Could be an inside job........Bank employee.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Exactly. One of my father's buddies said stuff like that usually leads to a large scale internal investigation with in the bank.

That lead me to question why they would still be transfering the funds though, so I counted that out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag for Tuesday
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I had this happen to me about 3 months ago.

I was lucky and had all pending funds reverted to me. A few had cleared and I had to file a claim to get those back. My bank was pretty good at putting all the money right back into my account while they investigated it.

What I learned from the experience is a few things:

1. Have 2 bank accounts. One for use in paying checks and the other is a dump account to hold all extra funds. The dump account shall have no way out except transfer into your main account. In other words you can set up a wire, or check into your other account for moving funds as need be. If your primary account gets hacked, you still have the back-up account which should not have been harmed.

2. Check your account for fraudulent activity ever few days. Once it clears it is much harder to get the money back.

3. Never bookmark your bank account on your computer and do not have the computer save your user/passwords. Your browser can get hijacked and when you click, you think you are going to your bank's site, but really you are going to the scammers site where they log your info and proceed to drain you of your cash. You need to type in your bank address every time from now on.

Good luck getting it all straightened out. You should get your money back. That is why banks are FDIC insured.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#22]
FDIC....you'll be OK
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FDIC....you'll be OK

I sure hope so.

Until then, it's just a very, very big inconvenience.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag.  There's got to be a way to track all of this to some end user(s).  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, the same thing happened to me a while back. Local cops were clueless, but I guess there isn't anything they could have done. I disputed the charges and after about twenty phone calls I got the charges paid back. Unfortunately, I have overdraft protection so the fraudulent charges were overdrawing my account and I never got the overdraft fees back.

Just be very persistent on the phone calls and you should get your money back. Unless it's an unscrupulous bank employee doing the theft...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I know a guy who just got burned on this TWICE in the last few days, turns out his Windows computer was hacked by a WMF-type trojan; his check account got emptied so he changed the password, a couple days later it got emptied again by someone using the new password. He had broadband and had no antivirus program at all.

The money got transferred into some east-European country, money was "already gone" (cashed out) by the time he found out about it, and nobody in "that other country" gives a shit because their bank didn't lose a dime.
~
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]
If the account was "closed" how are they getting money? A "closed" account means not active, as in no money in it.........

This is a bank issue, not yours.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#28]
how much cash are we talking about over 50 thou or under??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm. Just got back from the bank and all of the money that was taken out of my "closed" account has been put back in. This wasn't done by the bank either.

Oddly enough, it seems the account was actually closed as we had mutliple payment stoppages and no new funds had came through since Saturday, except the ones which were stolen. All of the funds taken have been returned, and aside from the account remaining closed, it's like it never happened.

The bank can't even find anything about it in their records so aside from what's on paper with the people involved (me, the bank, the parties whose info was ficticiously used), all of the evidence is gone.

Who ever did it realized that they were getting figured out. They apparently backed out some time yesterday or Saturday night. Seems kind of fishy to me.

It was under $50k.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wow.    

I'd arrange for automatic cashing out of that account to a new, separate account.  The moment any money shows up in the suspect account,  it's sent to the new one.

It should be possible for the bank to arrange this.

I can't believe there are no records of what happened.

I would suspect an inside job within the bank.

CJ

The first thing that happened was a fund transfer. The hacked bank account is now dry and should not be accessible by anyone.

As for being an inside job, it may have been for all I know. I'd like to find out exactly what the whole deal was, but it appears neither the bank nor the authorities could give two shits.

All I can say is that if your bank account gets hacked, you're on your own. If it happens to you, I wish you luck as you will be the only one interested in stopping shit like this. Don't bother contacting any branches of law enforcement, as they will just suggest you chase your tail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Anytime I feel funny about my fundings in the bank I go down there personally, FREEZE THE ACCOUNT, and make them put SHOW IDENTIFICATION on it. In the past when I have done this no transactions can move, Debit , checks, zilch, nodda without personally being at the bank with a drivers license. Then again my bank is very helpful and hasn't turned it's back on the wife or I yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top