Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 2:10:38 PM EDT
This may be an odd question but how exactly are towns formed?, how many people have to live in an area before it becomes a town?, and do they just decide to declare it a town, how do they go about doing it?, how would the postoffice get word?, basicly whats to keep someone from just buying some unincorporated land, declare it a town, make themselves police chief, and order all the NFA stuff they want?....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
you need a post office and a bar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This may be an odd question but how exactly are towns formed?, how many people have to live in an area before it becomes a town?, and do they just decide to declare it a town, how do they go about doing it?, how would the postoffice get word?, basicly whats to keep someone from just buying some unincorporated land, declare it a town, make themselves police chief, and order all the NFA stuff they want?....

I am sure you need state and county aproval, permits, and other stuff. taxes would be fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
you could pay taxes to yourself
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you could pay taxes to yourself

What If I raised my taxes? That would get me more money!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually knew a guy that did that... got his property done up as a town.  He and his wife elected himself as mayor.  He hired himself as police chief.  But he was in a rural area.

IF you are already in a town, and your neighborhood wants to split off and become its own little town, in most states it takes an act of the state Legislature to do it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I'm talking about buying some land thats not a part of any town, and makeing it a town, so how did he do it?....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Most likely it is hard to do these days.

I do believe that there are still some dead or almost dead towns that were giving away property for the most part if you moved there and lived there for a while.

You could buy your own town for less hassle than starting a new one I figure.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
how many people have to live in an area before it becomes a town....

Wagontire, Orygun

Population: 2
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how many people have to live in an area before it becomes a town....

Wagontire, Orygun

Population: 2

That's awesome!  Where is it?

Be sure to drop by the Hometown forum.  We have a shoot planned for next saturday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That would be cool if you could start your own town, appoint yourself head of police, and then legally be able to posses all types of post samples and everything else you wanted.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to mention nationwide CCW....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I am sure the details differ in each state...you'd have to dig through your state laws to figure out how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you need a post office and a bar.

What about a VFW?
~Dg84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top