Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
I recently purchased three 25 round Hot Lips magazines for my Ruger 10/22.
These magazines (all three) do not eject the spent cartridges.  The factory 10 round Ruger mag works just fine... as a comparison.

I've attached two photos which show the Ruger (left) and the Butler Creek magazine profile.  As you can see, there is a definite difference between the dimensions of these magazines.  I worked the action of my 10/22 rifle and it looks like the higher shoulder on the Ruger mag helps in ejection.  

I've also forwarded these photos to Butler Creek.  I'm curious what they have to say about this.  And yes, I've checked and re-checked... the package for all three mags indicate they are for a Ruger 10/22.

Anybody have a similiar experience??

Z-out

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and it was a POS also,  someone told me that the "steel lips" version works fine
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
my BC regular hot lips mags work fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 15 Butler Creek mags, most are hot lips, a couple are steel lips, all feed with no problems at all.

Have you tried different types of ammo?

Oh yea, you'll get more responses if you post this in the correct forum.

Armory / 10/22 & 22 Caliber Rifles
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=11
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like your rifle has a short ejector, Ruger changed the design of their mags to add a suplemental ejector to eliminate the problem they were having with some rifles having an ejection problem.  The ear you see on the top left hand side of the mag is the second ejector.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Re-posted (cross-posted) to 10/22 armory.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace the factory extractor with a Volquartsen extractor and the problems will likely end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top