Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 1:16:11 PM EDT
A1 is now $8 for the big bottle at Costco.  

Thats ridiculous.

Any recommendations for a replacement would be appreciated.  

I do not like the peppercorn based sauce for steaks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend the extra money on a good cut of meat, season with a little salt and pepper, and cook it no more than medium-rare.

No steak sauce needed, ever.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Spend the extra money on a good cut of meat, season with a little salt and pepper, and cook it no more than medium-rare.

this man speaks the truth
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1, learn how to enjoy the actual steak flavor.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Butter, garlic powder, red pepper, black pepper and salt. Baste your steak while it's on the grill or marinate it and throw it in a castiron skillet.  Steak sause just covers up the taste of good steak.  IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
A1 Steak Sauce recipe:

Ingredients: :

1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons chili sauce

Directions:

Bring to a boil for 2 minutes stirring. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to lukewarm. Put mixture in a blender till it is pureed. Pour in bottle. Cap tightly and refrigerate to use within 90 days.

This recipe for A-1 Sauce serves/makes 1.75 cups.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/510/A1_Sauce31461.shtml
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I was just thinking about steak, this just pushed me over the edge.  Off to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Best Choice a generis brand tastes just like A1. OK for pork steak ect. Anyone who uses steak sauce on steak doesnt deserve steak.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, learn how to enjoy the actual steak flavor.

True, but if you have to the Lea and Perrins HP sauce I think is way better than A1.  The stuff in Canada is a little thicker than you get down here.  Both are good though, I just prefer the Canadian HP better.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Aggree the lee & perrins is good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+ 1

If you want a REALLY good steak.....

Wipe or rub the meat in peanut oil, season w/ salt and pepper, may be a crushed clove of garlic . Heat up a pan as hot as it well get. Sear both sides, then put on the grill ( throw on any seasoning wood you may like) on a high flame for 3-5 min depending on thickness.

Steak should NEVER be served over medium rare. If you go to restaurant and ask for your steak well done, you will get what ever POS meat they had laying around.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, they say the clothes make the man, but I say unto you, the onion makes the steak.

After cooking your steaks, drop in a diced yellow onion, sautee, and as it begins to turn clear, add 1/2 cup of of red wine.  This will dissolve and absorb a lot of the drippings from cooking the steaks.

Cook down a few minutes, and pour over the steak.

And +1 on rare to med. rare.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Every year, our Christmas dinner is:

Whole beef tenderloin, trimmed by the butcher.
Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
Rub tenderloin with olive oil and butter, then season with salt and pepper.
Cook for 15 minutes. (The oven will smoke like crazy.)
Let rest 5-10 minutes.

Best cut of meat you will ever have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
A-1 belongs on wimmenz, not steak!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Try Hienze 57. 8.00 bucks a bottle is not right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Lousiana Supreme brand for one dollar, at the dollar general store, or big lots or one of the others, sure tastes good.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Country Bob's.

And I eat my steak medium-well.  Pink is meant for panties and '59 Cadillacs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Try Hienze 57. 8.00 bucks a bottle is not right.

I'm all for the Use of "Steak Sauce" for less that great cuts of steak, and have always prefered Heinz 57 steak sauce to A1 (A1 has always had too much vinegar). But I hate the Idea of Kerry's Bitch wife making any more money EVER!

As for a good cut of meat, Well I think very much like the other guys, A little oil + Salt & pepper....Med/Rare to slighly "moo'ing" = Good Stuff Maynard!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no replacement for A1 sauce.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Learn how to cook a steak
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to buy heinz 57 sauce. But I no longer buy anything that heinz corp. sells. I now enjoy John boy and billy grilling sauce from FL.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Steak sauce is only used to cover for cheap meat and shitty cooks.

ayep
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hell yes.

I saw a couple in a steak place a couple months ago, both order the same $50 cut I was eating. They ordered the steaks "extra well done" and proceeded to absolutely drench them in ketchup.

Why they didn't just go to McDonalds and save $90 is beyond me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this man speaks the truth

+1.

I have never needed steak sauce at a restaurant like TGI Fridays or Lone Star.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#25]
make a bourbon & mushroom (cream of) sauce  

take some Makers Mark or whatever whisky or bourbon you like. Heat a sauce pan full of one can of cream of mushroom soup. Simmer. Add, the bourbon a shot at a time until you reach a flavor you like.  Simmer, until the consistancy is like gravy.

get a plate ready. Pour some sauce in the bottom of the plate. Crack some fresh black pepper on the "bourbon mushroom gravy"  then place the steak on top of that..

Serve

oh, dont use a cheap bourbon. Only cook with what you would drink.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#26]

try it Chinese style; marinade in soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm as much of a "salt & pepper" fan as the next guy but, if you like something a bit more exotic occasionally,  may I suggest Chimichurri sauce. Very popular at Argentinean steak houses. Mucho Flavor !!!       Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Steak sauce is only used to cover for cheap meat and shitty cooks.

Guilty as charged.

Actually the only time I use steak sauce is in the winter when I have to pan fry a steak on the stovetop. Then I use plenty of Hinz 57 to make it taste good. And it's a cheaper cut to start with.

In the summer I buy ribeyes or sirloins and grill them outside with mesquite chips. Never use steak sauce then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
A marrinade or glaze is fine, but if you have to drenche your steak in sauce, you don't like steak.  A good steak is like coffee to me.  The flavor of coffee should come from the type of bean, geographic location (Climate, soil, etc.), roasting, and brewing method.  Not from adjuncts and other stuff added.  

Let us know what cuts of beef you usually cook and we will help you enjoy the steak for what it is, and honor that brave cow that gave all for your sustenance and enjoyment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There is no replacement for A1 sauce.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Try to get a cut of meat at least ½ thick since thinner is more likely to dry out fast, thus a tough cut when plated.

Grilling

Use this per pound of meat, I use a marinade of:

1 Teaspoon of Korean soy sauce, it is lower in sodium than American soy sauce.

1 Teaspoon of Jack Daniels

Place your steaks and the marinade in a zip lock bag, overnight in the fridge.

The day you cook the steaks take them out and coat them with olive oil, back to the fridge.

When you are ready for cooking, take out the steaks and place them in a pan and season them to your taste.

Cooking:

Have the grill preheated to high for gas at least 10 minutes prior to cooking, charcoal should be hot enough where you cannot keep your and more than 2 seconds above the hot coals.

Sear the meat 3 minutes on each side, use a spatula type or tong turner, never a meat fork!

If you do it properly your steak should produce a light sauce of its own on the plate, and for goodness sake never use a paper plate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Remind me not to shop at Costco... Still $3-$4 here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top