Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
Ok,

I need 3 video clips.  Links would be helpful, but not necessary.

Background:

I have a 5 minute presentation to give to the class.  I WANT (not need) to show some video clips to make it interesting/funny.

The Project:

I am doing the presentation on Punishment that managers use in a business setting.  For example:  A manager fires an employee for not showing up to work.  That is a punishment as a result of the employee's actions.

What I need:

I need 3 video clips, one each showing:
  -An extreme form of punishment
  -Someone who is too liberal and doesnt use punishment when they should have
  -a perfect balance using punishment

Definition of Punishment:
causing an unpleasant condition in an attempt to eliminate an undesirable behavior.

Note:
This can be ANY situation.  For example:
Extreme case: The drill sargent chewing out the Marines in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Restrictions:
No swearing/nudity/vulgarity in the clips.  Length of time preferable would one 1 minute.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
how about the clip where the chechen cuts the russian soldiers throat?  pretty severe
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
terry tate: office linebacker. those are funny as hell, and illustrate your point well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Terry Tate = SWEET!

Now I just need a small 1 minute clip....searching
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Terry Tate = SWEET!

Now I just need a small 1 minute clip....searching

you are welcome sir.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!  Ok, now all I need is some situation in where rules are not enforced and bad behaviors are reinforced and get worse....this can be in ANY situation....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't consider getting fired as a form of punishment.  The company is simply getting rid of an employee who isn't worth the price being paid.

However, if a worker is suspended, fined, demoted, etc., then that is punishment.  The purpose of punishment in business is to improve the performance of the worker.  If they fire you, they no longer care if you can improve.  They simply want you gone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't consider getting fired as a form of punishment.  The company is simply getting rid of an employee who isn't worth the price being paid.

However, if a worker is suspended, fined, demoted, etc., then that is punishment.  The purpose of punishment in business is to improve the performance of the worker.  If they fire you, they no longer care if you can improve.  They simply want you gone.

You are right.  Firing is not a form of punishment.  My bad.  Yes, your examples are good forms of punishment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, is there an episode from the Simpsons that I can use?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
See if you can find the hotjobs commercials about the guy working with monkeys.  It could be one with no punishment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
you might try office space.

There are several places where bosses ignore or inadequately deal with unacceptable (but pretty funny) behavior.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
How about "The Secretary"???  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, now I need one more video clip.

This needs to be an example of positive reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement- encouraging desired behavior in someone.

Example: Employee of the month rewards, vaccation giveaways, pay raise, promotion, ect....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would disagree.  You are directly, in the most forceful way possible, taking away someones job for not performing.  Not to mention, you are making an example of that employee to the other employees.  If you do not perform, you will be removed.

Havn't you noticed at work when they let someone go, overall performance and productivity magically increases?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok, now I need one more video clip.

This needs to be an example of positive reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement- encouraging desired behavior in someone.

Example: Employee of the month rewards, vaccation giveaways, pay raise, promotion, ect....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
What about a clip of Trump chewing out someone?

Try to get one off of CNBC, they run ads for the reruns here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Just today I did a presentaion on the dirty dozen for my Management class.  One of the other groups had a vid clip of the hanging in the beginning.  That would be a good one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top