Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
I have tools all over place. Mostly for fixing the house. things like saws and drills and misc. I ahve them store all over my garage. I need to make more space in my garage. I was thinking about getting some plastic milk carriers and ptting them in there so I can stack them up.

I need ideas please
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
milk crates for power tools, and tool bags for hand tools
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Once okay, but man...you said "tool" not once, but twice. It's tools!

Anyway, tools or not, consider purchasing some Gorilla racks. I bought a crapload on sale, and it went a long way towards organizing my garage.

For your tools - do you own a tool chest? Do you have a workbench? I store the heavier handheld power tools under my workbench, or on the first two shelves of a nearby Gorilla rack. Small hand tools are in a tool chest, or hung on pegboard over my bench.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found the most important organizing "tool" is to make sure I always put the tool back in the same place.  Even if it is spread out throughout several walls as long as it gets put in the same place it really helps.  Milk crates or build some shelves on one of your walls are good ideas.  Just make sure you have eazy access to the crates.  You will invariably need the tool in the bottom crate.  There are also large tool boxes you can buy.  Rolling ones and such.  Or go buy an old dresser at a yard sale.  Those work real well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what it look like presently. Corded TOOLS are in the blue dresser. I want to get rid of the dresser.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever the tool - it always seems to end up in my kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a storage shed and its full of lawn equpment.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Tool chests for the hand tools, power tools in their cases if any or on shelves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]
If  you have wall space, pegboards work out for alot of tools.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Back home, a buddy had a tall ( 5 foot, three drawer type) filing cabinet for his power tools.

It worked great, since you didn't have three gazillion things tossed in, on top of each other, like I'd imagine your 'dresser' probably is.  You just opened one drawer, and there was the belt sander, disc sander, and jitterbug....  Same thing for saws...  Circular, jig, etc, in another drawer.

A couple of those and you'll have that stuff squared away in no time.  Check freecycle websites for stuff people look to give away for free, or if you know anyone who works for a construction co. that does commercial demolition, they're gonna be a great place to get used junk like that.  It's amazing what we used to toss in the dumpster everyday, back when I did that years ago.  Desks, chairs, all kinds of stuff.

And BIG +1 on the pegboard walls..... That stuff is AWESOME for organizing hand tools out where you can see them easily, and it just plain looks COOL  

ETA: Also, it doesn't look like you have much of a 'workbench' per se.....  Need to get some plans and build you one of them right away !   Something with a nice shelf below would go a long ways towards reducing your clutter too.  All manz gotta have them some workbenches !  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Move the water heater from the garage!!
With that rack of chemicals you have all of the makings of a nice bomb.
Don't tell me you have a forced air furnace in the garage too...

What you really need to do is have a "clean the garage and toss the crap" day.

It looks like you have two air compressors. Get rid if the small one.
Get rid of those gay plastic racks and build some "real man" wooden shelves.

Do you have space above the framed walls?
Put plywood over the rafters and move your unused crap to the overhead.

Toss some more crap into the shitcan.

Why is there a car in the garage?  That's why you have no space....

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
the water heater is going to be replaced with a instant on demand one as soon as it dies.I think its close to 25 years OLD.the small compressor is for my nail gun. Kinda hard dragging tht orange one up place to place. The furnance? can't do much about that.

I was thinking about making a workbench right under the cabinets. then a pegboard on the right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of the orignal boxes the tools came in take up more space than the tool itself, so unless the box is actually a decent protective case I would chuck the box.

You mostly need to make more efficient use of the space you are wasting.  The dresser and most likely those kitchen cabinets over it are wasting a lot of empty space.  There is a reason roll around tool boxes have so many drawers, they make use of all the space in them and they hold heavy stuff well.

All the boxes stacker by the dresser and that crappy craftsman tool thing by the dresser should also be moved or tossed.  I like those little craftsman things to sit on a middle shelf of my shelving because it is then at a good height for keeping extension cords and other stuff that fill up the drawer.

As for all the chemicals, I would sort and organize them so you know what you have.  If you have old stuff you are not using you can call the local fire department and ask about getting rid of haz waste.  I just emptied out my dad's old basement and we got rid of all sorts of nasty old stuff for the cost of me driving it to a free drop off.

Overall there are many good ways to organize things.  Right now it looks like you are not using all the wall space and with the dresser and kitchen cabinets over the dresser if there is empty space in those you are wasting even more space.

The milk crates may work but I never liked them.  

I like buying big quality stuff even if it costs a lot since it makes it easier to deal with the stuff.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Pegboard is your friend . And even though it hurts sometimes , throw some stuff away ! If you haven't used it in a couple of years , pitch it . Obviously I'm not talking about tools , but that
old faucet that you changed out in the kitchen back in 1993 ---- You get the idea .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to keep my tools together.  I think a box might do the job.  We could call it a 'tool box'.

Yeah!  That's it!  A tool box.  I'm gonna be rich!  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
KA3B mentioned the word "bomb" and he's right in another sense. My HWH was exactly 25 years old when my wife told me to look at the drain basin it sat on. There was about a tablespoon of water in the bottom. I opened the access door and pulled back the insulation. Damp. There were some rust flecks on the side and I smudged one off. Immediately a tiny stream of water shot out from a pin size hole. If she hadn't noticed the water and we had been out of town, could have been big trouble.

I had a client who had a HWH on the second floor of his home. They were out of town and it let go, flooding down thru the first floor and ruining his computer setup in his basement. Many thousands of $ damage.

If you don't replace it, at least give it a thorough inspection.

I'd give you advice on your clutter, but your garage looks great compared to mine. I'm slowly going thru it and tossing/selling things I haven't used in years but will undoubtedly need next month.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why is there a car in the garage?  That's why you have no space....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top