Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:22 AM EDT
Is there a simple way to check and seeif a particular serial # gun is stolen, shy of calling up the local PD and giving it tothem? Funny how if it is, you are suddenly a criminal for posession of a stolen weapon, when you really just wanted info to prevent that from happening..  

Just one I am looking at...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same question.

look here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=427046
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...

I guess that leaves me either not being able to buy private party firearms with a clear conscience, or getting the rundown from the PD.

Why do they make doing the right thing so friggin' hard?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#3]
if you got a good SIGNED bill of sale, maybe even get it noterized, then if you are caught with it, you should be okay in the long run. it might get nasty at first but once they see the bill of sale, they should just take the gun. but make sure the bill of sale has a date, the model of the gun, caliber, and a statement that the gun is not stolen ( this part signed by the seller ). i used to when we could do FTF in maryland get their DL number
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There are bound books that C&R FFL users use.
If you are that concerned about it, just start recording as much info as possible in the book.
In ink.
Every time you buy a gun, note where you bought it, who you bought it from (if possible) and the date.
It ain't perfect, but it does give a chronilogical history.
Even if it is transferred, log it.
This should lend credibility to the non-FFL transferred guns by bracketing them, datewise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I was buying a mauser broomhandle from a fella who said it had been in the family for years, he said it was in his grandfathers house when the old man died, so i offered him the money on the condition that it came up clear, it was in 80% condition with the stock. I went to my local police station to register the gun, i didnt need a purchasing permit because here in MI we can use our CCW for that purpose, anyways the gun showed up stolen 18 years ago, they confiscated it on the spot. I called up the city's police department that the gun was stolen from about a month later and talked with a detctive who handled the whole deal. The gun was returned to the original owner after 18 years of it being stolen, how happy he must have been. I could have kept it, but i dont want any illegal guns in my house. McM
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks...

I guess that leaves me either not being able to buy private party firearms with a clear conscience, or getting the rundown from the PD.

Why do they make doing the right thing so friggin' hard?

Really. What is the big secret. Seems to me that it would cut down substantially on stolen guns and their sale for there to be a registry that we can all get on. Just more .gov BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top