Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:05:56 AM EDT
Never been in one. I noticed a few around the area I now live...can a deal be had or is it not worth my time?

Anyone ever score at one?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
most of the time they are a waste of time or downright dangerous, like the one here in town where the owner said "yeah its a ten milimeter, which means you can shoot .40 s&w through it just like .38s in a .357!"

on occassion you can find a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Never been in one. I noticed a few around the area I now live...can a deal be had or is it not worth my time?

No...NEVER. There are NO deals to be had at ANY pawnshop ever. That is one truth in life. Just a bunch of stolen junk sold for the same price as if the item was new.  Usually tons of VCR's for $85. Electric guitars that dont work and you wont be able to return and crappy jewelry. Cameras that barelly work sold for high prices.

Stay away !!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up an Eotech 552 for $250 not too long ago. There are deals to be found, just gotta look for them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
It all depends. I've got some good deals. But you have to make a lot of visits.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It all depends. I've got some good deals. But you have to make a lot of visits.

like a Kimber classic custom with 2 wilson mags and ivory grips..for 500.00 out the door???
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it all depends on the broker himself. It's like anywhere you buy stuff, it all depends on what you find and if you feel it's something worth while or not. I have found a few good buys over the years but non gun realted though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Pawn brokers are a valid source for some incredible deals, you just have to watch for them. Get to know the people who work there, tell them what your interested in and have them contact you if something to your liking come in.

A good friend of mine, recently bought a makarov 9x18 with all the trimmins for $65.00 it was absolutly minty.  I have to admit, I was a bit envious.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Duke-Nukem used to work in a pawn shop, and he's posted some very funny stories here from his time behind the counter.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
In my experience military town pawn shops sometimes have pretty good deals on stuff.  Some GI needs quick money to pay for his rice rocket or some such.  I like to look but that is about it.

amk
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
found a really nice one here.
the guy does interstate transfers for $10-$15 less than gun stores.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a big fan of pawn shops, but once in a while you might find something interesting.

A few years ago, I scored a nice used M9 bayonet for 30 bucks and sold it on Ebay for around 80. Oh, and I recently got a used copy of HEAT on VHS for $1.00

Scott
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I once bought a nikonos camera (underwater Nikon) for $25.00 because the broker thought it was a toy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Pawn shops fill a niche for poor people with no credit and little income but have assets worth something to other consumers.  But it's a pretty shitty deal for the seller, but they accept cash amounts a lot less than what their pawned goods are worth in exchange for quick cash from the pawnbroker.

With Craigslist.com, if you need cash and have shit worth buying, you can get better prices without shipping and advertising costs or being ripped by pawnbrokers. It works wonderfully.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a Swiss Schmidt Rubin 1911 for $150. Its the basically a long Swiss K31, but much more rare. It was a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No...NEVER. There are NO deals to be had at ANY pawnshop ever. That is one truth in life. Just a bunch of stolen junk sold for the same price as if the item was new.  Usually tons of VCR's for $85. Electric guitars that dont work and you wont be able to return and crappy jewelry. Cameras that barelly work sold for high prices.

Stay away !!!!

You need to check out some different pawn shops dude, there are plenty of good deals out there.

In the last week I picked up  a calcutta reel on an allstar rod that was a little rough looking for 40 dollars.  The reel just needed a little cleaning.  I could take it anywhere and catch fish today.

I also picked up a greenlee knockout set 1/2 to 2 inch in the box ,only the one inch punch had been used, cost 100.00 out the door.  That is a great price.

Also a 1 inch to 4 inch knockout set greenlee hydraulic working order ( 2of the small cutters were bad but the 4 through 2 inch were virginal)  134 + tax out the door.

Those were all f'ing great buys.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
There were 3 or 4 pawnshops within about 2 miles of the last place I worked. So, what do you do with a whole hour for lunch?  Look for deals.  
The key is to get to know the people working there.  It got to the point that I would walk in and they would show me stuff that was about to come out.
"If the guy doesn't come to pay by friday this will be on the shelf. You interested?  How much should we price it when it goes on the shelf?" (One shop knew almost nothing about guns)

This was between 6 and 8 yrs ago.
I got...
MAK 90  $175.00  
NHM 91  $300.00
Mossberg 500 8shot  $75.00
Colt MKIV     $217.00  (about 50% of the bluing gone but no rust)
Kerosene Heater   $40.00   (like new)
Daewoo DR200   $350.00

That's all I can think of right now.
Being a cheap SOB, I love pawn shops.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I only go to one shop locally they have had some real good deals. Its about half gun shop and half pawn shop they also have allot of surplus ammo at decent prices for a shop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a plastic gun case at one for $15.

Thats my only deal.

I'm sure they have some other deals too but most of the stuff around here is pure junk or marked up too high.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Pawn shops can be crazy. Back in the 70's there was this one near where I worked that actually guaranteed the guns and had decent prices.  At another a couple of women ran it and they would have good prices pretty regular.  Some other pawn shops put the stuff out there at NIB prices and the stuff is about 65% at best

The local one I now  hit about 2 or 3 times a month is hit or miss.  Bubba'ed Lee Enfield for $155.00, worth maybe $35.  Beretta O/U with messed up choke tube threads $950.00 worth maybe $650.  Stevens 311 as new for $150.00 worth $275  Norinco SKS as new for $99 worth $175  .

What gets me are the ones that have the same over priced stuff sitting on the shelves for YEARS !!!   They make some much on the interest that it seems like they don't need to sell the merchandise.

rj

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top