BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 7:56:18 AM EDT
Who woulda thunk it?!?

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060113/us_nm/usa_mexico_immigrants_dc&printer=1

New program in Texas jails illegal immigrants

By Tim Gaynor
Fri Jan 13, 5:44 PM ET

A pilot program that jails all illegal immigrants crossing into this Texas border town from Mexico has led to a dramatic fall in numbers attempting the journey, the U.S. Office of Border Patrol said on Friday.

A program known as Operation Streamline II, instituted on December 12, is aimed mostly at non-Mexican illegal immigrants who were arrested and released because Border Patrol agents did not have sufficient space to jail them.

The blanket crackdown is also being applied to undocumented Mexicans who were previously subject to criminal background checks and released back over the Rio Grande without charges.

The U.S. Marshals Service has freed up 1,000 beds in several county jails abutting the Border Patrol region that includes Eagle Pass, Texas, to accommodate the growing number of immigrants.

"The message is one of zero tolerance to all illegal immigrants, whether they are Mexican or (non-Mexican) nationals," said Hilario Leal, the U.S. Border Patrol's spokesman for the sector that includes Eagle Pass.

"It appears to be getting out by word-of-mouth and through the media south of the border, as the numbers attempting to cross has fallen dramatically."

Since the pilot program began around Eagle Pass, 140 miles west of San Antonio, the number of undocumented immigrants picked up by Border Patrol agents has dwindled to 10 a day, down from highs of around 150 a day in mid-2005, officials said.

The U.S. Office of Border Patrol said 740 illegal immigrants have been arrested and charged with misdemeanor illegal entry under the program. They are tried in federal court and jailed for up to 180 days pending deportation to their country of origin.

"We have lots of space, and we can handle all the prisoners the court sends us," Deputy U.S. Marshal Tim Hughes said. "If it grew to an incredible number we could send them out of state."

Each year, an unknown number of illegal immigrants, most from Mexico and Latin America, cross the 2,000-mile (3,200-km) border from Mexico, seeking a better life in the United States. Last year, almost 1.2 million were nabbed making the journey.

A proposal in the U.S. Congress to build a steel fence equipped with lights and security cameras has angered Mexico.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Texas Kicks Ass!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
that idea is so nutty that it just might work......
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Just think how few would try to cross if we were deporting them to Afghanistan....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, so here's the plan. We build a jail the size of Mexico and . . . .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#5]
No no no no no!!! Dont you think for a minute, that if this was a good idea, our very intelligent leaders would have thought of this earlier??

Nah, aint gonna work... it cant!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just think how few would try to cross if we were deporting them to Afghanistan....

I nominate YOU as my next president!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Better yet..........let's use a few Air Force transports and LAPES them into Panama.........let them walk beck to Meh-Hee-Co!

Picture a pallet full of mexicans flying off the back of a C-130:
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better yet..........let's use a few Air Force transports and LAPES them into Panama.........let them walk beck to Meh-Hee-Co!

No workee--they already speak the language (or close enough to get by) and will come back like a bad case of athlete's foot.

Drop them off in Kabul. Maybe they can do the jobs that the Afghani's won't.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No workee--they already speak the language (or close enough to get by) and will come back like a bad case of athlete's foot.

I STAND CORRECTED!!!!..........
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You mean to tell me if you actually make an attempt at doing something about the illegal alien invasion it will actually result in measureable improvements?

Damn, we've been told all along that there was nothing we could do, that the job was too hard, the costs too great, the burden too heavy, the blah, blah, blah...

Wow, who would have thought that actually enforcing our laws would result in a decrease in the number of people willing to break those laws.

It boggles my mind!!!

Really it boggles my mind!!!

Really really it just boggles my mind!!!

NO really it just boggles my mind!!!

That we could actually achieve results in a short period of time by actulayy doing something.

Wow!!!

Actually doing something really did work!!!

Son of a gun!!!

Wow!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Have I said wow yet?

Wow!!!

Now if we think about the improvements brought about by a little 'enforcement' of our current laws.

HOW ABOUT THAT FENCE!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Does it really stop them or are they just getting a little smarter and going a few more miles down the line and coming across at new hotspot?

Delays and hassles are good, but completely deterring would be better.  Who want's to guess what is really happening?

Not to be non-politically correct, but does anybody remember Psych experiments on how long it took to train rats to go through a maze?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Bout' fooking time. And may God Bless Texas!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There goes afghanistan!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A proposal in the U.S. Congress to build a steel fence equipped with lights and security cameras has angered Mexico.

For God's sake...who gives a flying fuck what Mexico thinks...

Their government should be ashamed that their people are fleeing their shitty country!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For God's sake...who gives a flying fuck what Mexico thinks...

Their government should be ashamed that their people are fleeing their shitty country!

Glad I ain't the only one who feels that way!

Woody
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does it really stop them or are they just getting a little smarter and going a few more miles down the line and coming across at new hotspot?

+1

remember when the minutemen would guard a section of the border they just slid over a few miles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
We provide Mexico with a significant portion of their economy and healthcare for their citizens.

Has anyone required medical help in Mexico? They wont touch you without cash or a credit card. Thats what they should do in the US. No papers?  You better show your cash.

Locking them up, however is expensive and wait until the lawsuits start.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my thread on fixing America, I recommended deporting them to Liberia. Along with all my other ideas, I think you'd rather have ME as president.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

remember when the minutemen would guard a section of the border they just slid over a few miles.

Yeah, that's why Canadians buy all their illegal guns in the U.S. now.

Gotta start somewhere, guys.  If all of TX, NM, and AZ close their borders, then California will be the only place left for the Minutemen to have to do the government's job.  Then we just have to nuke the everliving crap out of Canada.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#23]

The U.S. Office of Border Patrol said 740 illegal immigrants have been arrested and charged with misdemeanor illegal entry under the program. They are tried in federal court and jailed for up to 180 days pending deportation to their country of origin.

While they are being "processed" during this 180-day period, how about putting them on a chain-gain work detail to pick up all the trash lining our roads and bridges? Why don't we have the cleanest streets in the world with all this idle labor?

"We have lots of space, and we can handle all the prisoners the court sends us," Deputy U.S. Marshal Tim Hughes said. "If it grew to an incredible number we could send them out of state."

This sounds like what we said about all the homeless Coon Asses that came to Houston after Katrina. Come on over! Plenty of room for everyone!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This sounds like what we said about all the homeless Coon Asses that came to Houston after Katrina. Come on over! Plenty of room for everyone!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#25]
God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
They should be doing hard labor.  Make them earn their stay.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Bullets are still cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You mean to tell me if you actually make an attempt at doing something about the illegal alien invasion it will actually result in measureable improvements?

Damn, we've been told all along that there was nothing we could do, that the job was too hard, the costs too great, the burden too heavy, the blah, blah, blah...

Wow, who would have thought that actually enforcing our laws would result in a decrease in the number of people willing to break those laws.

It boggles my mind!!!

That we could actually achieve results in a short period of time by actulayy doing something.

Wow!!!

Son of a gun!!!

Wow!!!

Maybe we could actually start enforcing those pesky drivers license\automobile insurance laws against the illegals too
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It boggles my mind!!!

Wow!!!

Son of a gun!!!

Wow!!!

Maybe we could actually start enforcing those pesky drivers license\automobile insurance laws against the illegals too

Lol, I agree. Something, anything.

But you know as I do because we've seen it before. As soon as we start enforcing laws some asshat claims that it unfairly burdens the hispanic community and is therefore racists. After shutting down or severely curtailing the 'too' successful enforcement efforts everyone scurries to find hispanic babies to kiss in a vain attempt to appear as non-racists as possible. As heard by politicians afterwards "Im not racists. In fact I'm shocked that some misinformed citizen would thing that I am a racists. In fact I dated a hispanic before I was married. Some of my best friends are hispanics. I have hispanics to my house all the time. My garder is hispanic. My butler is hispanic. My maid is hispanic. My nanny is hispanic. My mechanic is hispanic. My barber is hispanic. The guy who takes my trash is hispanic. Why even my protocolgist/ gynocologist is hispanic. I love to immerse myself in the hard working family-oriented hispanic culture."

Of course common sense tells anyone with an IQ above room temperature or without a quick-knee-jerk-reaction-of-race-card-flipping-reinforced-by-race-card-flipper-ass-kissers that it only inconviences the illegal hispanics and there isn't anything racists about that.

So, while I do celebrate the too few occasions when our masters.gov seems to pull their heads out of their collective asses, I still do harbor a serious resentment born from the vast difference between what is and what should be.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my thread on fixing America, I recommended deporting them to Liberia. Along with all my other ideas, I think you'd rather have ME as president.

It's too late! The machinery is in motion! Soon, I will be your evil overlord......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
We provide Mexico with a significant portion of their economy and healthcare for their citizens.

Has anyone required medical help in Mexico? They wont touch you without cash or a credit card. Thats what they should do in the US. No papers?  You better show your cash.

Locking them up, however is expensive and wait until the lawsuits start.

Illegal aliens working in the US provide Mexico with their 2nd greatest source of income (behind oil exports).  That's why the Mexican government  doesn't want a fence.

And while they provide US businesses and individuals with cheap labor, they are a drain on the local government resources.  They have literally bankrupted hospitals in California by coming across, getting their healthcare, and the leaving without paying the bill.  The rest of us are left to pick up the tab, which is where the proverbial $10 aspirin comes from.   Mexican women that come over utilize a tremendous amount of federal and county government social services, particularly after having children.

In Cameron county (border county) here in Texas, the police arrested an illegal who came across with his medical records, and brought a gun into a convenience store.  He told the police he intended to get arrested so that he could have his health care needs taken care of once in confinement, all courtesy of the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, my job requires me to be very familiar with the illegal immigration situation.  The full extent of the problem is quite depressing.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Delays and hassles are good, but completely deterring would be better.  Who want's to guess what is really happening?

Not to be non-politically correct, but does anybody remember Psych experiments on how long it took to train rats to go through a maze?

Rats have to go through the maze only once to learn how to get to the goal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A program known as Operation Streamline II, instituted on December 12, is aimed mostly at non-Mexican illegal immigrants who were arrested and released because Border Patrol agents did not have sufficient space to jail them.

WTFO?

??  Are you expressing surprise that they exist, or wondering why they're being targeted more than Mexicans?

I'd guess it's because it is far more expensive for them to do a border run, since they have to get to Mexico first.  Discouraging them by specially targeting them probably has more of an impact than catch-and-release with Mexicans who just get dropped off at a titty bar in Tijuana.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
They should be doing hard labor.  Make them earn their stay.

Building the wall,...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#38]

....aimed mostly at non-Mexican illegal immigrants

And how exactely do they make the distinction between  Mexican,Venezeulan,Spanish or any other person from any one of the various Central American countries ?

They should just jail them all,but it's a start.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#39]
They should auction off all the illegals caught to U.S. Citizens.

I'd buy a couple for $20.00 each.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top