Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 11:57:22 PM EDT
I know everyone says get a USGI, but does anyone know anything about the IAI M1 carbines? Are they generally reliable?  I have a chance to trade into one with less than 500 rounds fired, replaced all bolt parts with USGI and a new recoil spring.

Would this gun make a good shooter?

Edit to add:

whoops I meant this to go into the General Firearms Discussion forum. If a mod could please move that would be great.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I ahve been wondering about this also.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Run Forest Run. My neighbor had one. His slide broke, then his bolt broke. He sold it and is looking for a good USGI carbine to replace i. Skip the IAS and buy a GI
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If you just want a shooter and don't care if it's USGI, see if you can find yourself a Plainfield M1 Carbine. These were probably one of the best commercial M1's produced and should serve your needs well, at a price less than GI versions fetch these days. I use to have one of the Plainfields, but sold it once I got a GI. Wish I had kept it now. I am very much a fan of those lil' .30's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only heard negetive things about them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The Iver Johnson carbines aren't too bad, but stay away from the Universal carbine, even if it's cheap and seems like a good deal. They're different... like, not even similar aside from outward appearance.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a Univesal for a bunch of years. It was a great rifle.

You're the only man in America who thinks so then, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an IAI carbine for awhile...eh, it was an OK little gun, but nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you guys are confusing IAI and Universal.  Universal made shit guns that didnt work right from the start.  Totally out of spec.  The IAI guns are much better and most of the parts will interchange with GI parts.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top