Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 9:36:33 PM EDT
....of one dish.

Is it possible for me to buy ANOTHER used DTV satellite dish, say, from eBay, and then give away one of my receivers to my sister, and she just pays me the $20 bucks or so a month from her house in CA?

I was thinking it might work since I won't be hacking anything, and will still be a paying subscriber to 3 receivers....but not sure if anyone else has tried it.

Would it?  Would I need to do anything else?

If it does work.....anyone have an extra DTV dish for sale?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
....of one dish.

Is it possible for me to buy ANOTHER used DTV satellite dish, say, from eBay, and then give away one of my receivers to my sister, and she just pays me the $20 bucks or so a month from her house in CA?

I was thinking it might work since I won't be hacking anything, and will still be a paying subscriber to 3 receivers....but not sure if anyone else has tried it.

The signal that you receive has no idea who owns the box/card. Yes it will work provided she lives within the spot beam that YOU receive. Its huge. If she lives within  100 miles or so it will be fine as long as YOU pay your bill
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That should work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking thief!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the way it used to work. I have DISH. My receiver has a phone line that has to be plugged in. This is how they check to make sure it is in my house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's the way it used to work. I have DISH. My receiver has a phone line that has to be plugged in. This is how they check to make sure it is in my house.

Ours does to, but we only plug it in, to order movies.

Other than that, we never plug it in.

Thanks guys.....now to shop ebay!

:)

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
....of one dish.

Works fine until it comes time for the phone call.  They use caller id to make sure it comes from your house.

It used to be my box would shut off if it didn't make a phone call for some number of days, but I've got one that's been running for 60+ days.  It bitches every time I turn it on that I need to make a call, but I haven't been shut off.  I never get pay per views on it, that might help some.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Neagative. That phone line is ONLY there to transmit a PPV purchase.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just repeating what the installer and customer service told me. I asked why I had to plug that in, I don't order PPV. They said they send out random checks to be sure the receiver is were it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
doesnt the DTV box you buy from ebay require a programed card?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just repeating what the installer and customer service told me. I asked why I had to plug that in, I don't order PPV. They said they send out random checks to be sure the receiver is were it is supposed to be.

I guess we've been lucky, as that's never happened to us....but I wonder what they can do, if you simply say you dont' have a landline, just like I don't have one anymore.  

.....I dont' think having a landline, is part of the contract at all, and I wouldn't want to raise any alarms, by calling and asking......might as well shoot myself in the foot while I"m at it.

PDYNAK:

I'm just looking for the actual satellite dish, with LNB's

All 3 of my receivers have their own HU card, and already programmed.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
doesnt the DTV box you buy from ebay require a programed card?

Yes they do (I assume he has one as his receiver currently works). Some of the so called cardless actually have a card but its built into the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My box has been running upwards of two years with the phone line unplugged.  I've never ordered anything from PPV and barely watch it at all.

I don't have a phone jack in my living room.  Go figure that one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we've been lucky, as that's never happened to us....but I wonder what they can do, if you simply say you dont' have a landline, just like I don't have one anymore.  

.....I dont' think having a landline, is part of the contract at all, and I wouldn't want to raise any alarms, by calling and asking......might as well shoot myself in the foot while I"m at it.

PDYNAK:

I'm just looking for the actual satellite dish, with LNB's

All 3 of my receivers have their own HU card, and already programmed.  

HU cards are dead fro about a year now. You most likely have the new P series.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It is only for PPV.  One is dedicated to my damn RV how could it be called.  And I know someone who has done this scam for years.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ours does to, but we only plug it in, to order movies.

Other than that, we never plug it in.

Thanks guys.....now to shop ebay!

:)

Dont pay too much for it. You should be able to get the Dish and LNB's for $25 or so. Maybe less.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#16]
just go to a dish network HSP, the dumpsters out back will be full of DTV dishes.

Oh, and this is a federal crime, I think....Unless you have a recreational account.

I think Paul on site staff could shed some light on this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
It is called "theft of service", and it is a crime.

Will you get caught? Probably not.  But what usually happens is the 3rd party has reception problems, and calls the provider.  Quick scan of subscriber database, and service guy shows up with local JBTs to confiscate equipment and press charges.

If you want service, pay for it, don't steal it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1999, and have YET to ever connect the phone line. And if I want PPV, I can order on the internet.  I've asked about it and they told me "no problem". I currently have two receivers, and can order via internet PPV's and can select either or both receivers.

As long as the receiver stays within the beam they have you on, it will work fine. The "recreational" account, if I understand it correctly, allows you to travel (in an RV for example) anywhere in the country - you're on all the beams.

They WOULD, however, seriously frown on you supplying your sister with service at a different location without having a seperate full priced account for that location. Don't get caught!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By ar-wrench with a BIG GRUFF VOICE:
It is called "theft of service", and it is a crime.

YES SIR!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll look at the TOS again, but just can't imagine how it could be theft, as I'm paying for 3 receivers....not not pirating any signals, and I own all the receivers.

I could see the theft, if I were to clone one of the cards, but that's not possible, AFAIK, any longer.  I'll double check that.....but DTV would still be getting their money, and I get my money's worth, rather than sitting on a receiver no one uses any longer.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll look at the TOS again, but just can't imagine how it could be theft, as I'm paying for 3 receivers....not not pirating any signals, and I own all the receivers.

I could see the theft, if I were to clone one of the cards, but that's not possible, AFAIK, any longer.  I'll double check that.....but DTV would still be getting their money, and I get my money's worth, rather than sitting on a receiver no one uses any longer.

They consider your house one installation and your sister's house a seperate installation. If they were only charging $5 for the service, you might be right. Since they are charging $35 and up, plus $5 or so for each additional receiver, per installation, you are breaking their TOS by giving one to your sister (unless you set up a seperate account for it, at full price).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#22]
AHHh........I see.

I suppose it would be grounds to terminate my contract, but a Federal Crime, that I don't see it yet.....still searching the FCC website.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I doubt they'd do more than terminate the contract. Not worth their time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I doubt they'd do more than terminate the contract. Not worth their time.

These "thefts" are prosecuted by the local DA's office, the same way shoplifting and purse snatchings are prosecuted.

In my hometown weekly paper, the court reporter has cable service and electricty theft cases going before a judge about twice a month.

But, like I said, you're not likely to get caught.

On a related note, how tough is your jurisdiction on background checks for CCW?  Care to be our test case?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had direct tv since 1997. I live in an rv and have had no trouble with reception from here by San Antonio, to Denver, to Duluth. I have gone months without a phone line plugged in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top