Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 9:21:03 PM EDT
Tried google but alot of what is going on now with the nuclear threat.
Do they have any type of long range missles I don't mean scuds , tanks , soviet migs anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
For the ADD impaired.  Just add recent SAM sales from Russia and some new infantry small arms.

Most of this dissappears under B-52s
Army
The Iranian army contains 345,000 total active duty members, of which 2/3rds are conscripts. The army is divided into 3 army headquarters with 4 armored divisions and 7 infantry divisions, 1 airborne brigade, and 1 special forces division.

Equipment:

MBTs: 1245+ T-54/55, Chinese T-59, T-62,T-72, Chieftain Mk3/5, Mk-47/48, M-60A1
Light Tanks: 80 Scorpion
RECCE: 25 EE-9 Cascavel
IAPCs: 200 BMP-7, 700 BTR-50/-60
Artillery: 2,320 individual pieces
Gnd-Grd Msl: Frog-7, 6+ Scud-B and C (under local development)
Air Def Guns: 1,500 individual pieces in range from 23mm, 57mm
SAM: SA-7, some HN-5
Army Helos: 100 AH-1J (attack helicopter), 40 CH-47C, 170 Bell 214A, 40 AB-205A, 90 AB-206

The IAF should make for a nice turkey shoot if they even get airborne, odds are like the Iraqis they will refuse to fly.

Air Force
The Iranian air force numbers some 30,000 members. The American equipment cannot be assumed to be fully operational. Additionally, some of the 112 Iraqi combat aircraft flown into Iran during Desert Storm remain but they are probably not operational.

Fighter Bomber Aircraft: 9 squadrons -- 60 F-4D/E, 20 Su-24, 60 F-5E/F
Fighter Aircraft: 7 squadrons -- 60 F-14, 25 F-7, 30 MiG-29
RECCE: 5 RF-5, 3 RF-4E
Transport/Tanker: 4 Boeing 707, 9 Boeing 747F, 11 Boeing 707, 19 C-130E/H, 15 F-27, 5 Falcon-20
Trainer: 26 Beech F-33A/C, 10 EMB-312, 45 PC-7, 7 T-33, 5 MiG-29B, 5 FT-7, 20 F-5B
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang, they have even less stuff than I had imagined. Their army certainly isn't that large. And most of their equipment isn't that special. They look like a smaller version of Saddam's Gulf War era army.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dang, they have even less stuff than I had imagined. Their army certainly isn't that large. And most of their equipment isn't that special. They look like a smaller version of Saddam's Gulf War era army.

It would be depressing to see F-14s shot down though  Hopefully none of them fly.  Their armor cannot form and stay intact or even really break cover so a conventional front or invasion of Iraq is out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be depressing to see F-14s shot down though  Hopefully none of them fly.  Their armor cannot form and stay intact or even really break cover so a conventional front or invasion of Iraq is out.

The F-14s havent flown since the late 80s due to maintenance costs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw on the military channel, that when the whole sha? Iotolla? thing went down, that all the grumman support staff left, and mysteriously, the f-14s became inoperable.. so when it is over, we may get 60 lightly used tomcats out of the deal
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw on the military channel, that when the whole sha? Iotolla? thing went down, that all the grumman support staff left, and mysteriously, the f-14s became inoperable.. so when it is over, we may get 60 lightly used tomcats out of the deal

They still had some operational F-14's in 81 and 82, a few of those ended up in the water
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
1. March with elan and great joy against invading Crusader army.

2. After 30 minutes, carefully arrange the corpses of comrades into impenetrable breastworks.

3. Take cover behind corpse-breastworks as infidel dogs hurl themselves against the battlements, breaking like porcelain on stone as the fires of a thousand Hells roast their guts.

4. After 6 minutes, make strategic heroic Islamic tactical retreat to Qum. Remind self that Mohammed  bugged out to Medina, so it must be OK - like screwing 9 year-old girls.

5. 30 minutes after unbelieving American swine and apes who are hated by Allah arrive in Qum with the foul taste of cowardly death choking their throats, state very clearly in English that you have always been a pro-democracy activist, working for the overthrow of the theocrats.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL on above. Did we splash to iranian f14s, I know we splashed some lybian planes, and it seems like we shot two more, were those the two you are talking about?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about missles, but they have a lot of young men who they will use as cannon fodder.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont think there will be a standup conventional war with Iran.What we will need to do can be done for the most part from the air.If they try to come across the boarder into Iraq we will be able to destroy there armored forces wholesale if concentrated,and if they commit them piecemeal our abrams will destroy them.I think there response will be with missiles against our troops in Iraq and against our ships in the gulf.I wouldnt look for a ground invasion by us,would be tough on our other troop commitments around the world.We may not be able to totally destroy there entire nuke infastructor,but if we destroy all electrical generation and other things that make modern life possible,they will have to decide if they want to rebuild nuke facilities or have clean water,sanatation,electricity,etcI would look for every terrorist cell in this country to go active as soon as the bombing starts though.2006 is gonna be an interesting year
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#13]
They have .50 cal sniper rifles, OMG! We're doomed!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The fact that their military force is so pathetic makes me worry even more about their nukes.  They know the only way they could realisticly win a war is through using them.  Iran is nothing more than part 3 of WWIII.  Not striking them now will allow them to do whatever they want in the future.  They will have us by the balls and that is extremely, extremely bad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1. March with elan and great joy against invading Crusader army.

2. After 30 minutes, carefully arrange the corpses of comrades into impenetrable breastworks.

3. Take cover behind corpse-breastworks as infidel dogs hurl themselves against the battlements, breaking like porcelain on stone as the fires of a thousand Hells roast their guts.

4. After 6 minutes, make strategic heroic Islamic tactical retreat to Qum. Remind self that Mohammed  bugged out to Medina, so it must be OK - like screwing 9 year-old girls.

5. 30 minutes after unbelieving American swine and apes who are hated by Allah arrive in Qum with the foul taste of cowardly death choking their throats, state very clearly in English that you have always been a pro-democracy activist, working for the overthrow of the theocrats.

Now thats funny.  I don't care who ya are.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I think by March, someone, the U.S. or  Isreal, will put a few bombs on the nuke plant, it's now or later, and waiting for them to have an operational bomb, would be plain stupid. I at least figure before W leaves office, Iran will get hit. As far as ground war, we are not trying to liberate anyone, so that would not be needed, total air superiority, they won't have a chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top