Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:06 PM EDT
Reason I ask,

Three months ago a kid started working for me.  He's 18 and home schooled.  Obviously this is the first time he's ever been let off the leash.

Within the first month he has the drip...you know, the DRIP

I asked him how this could happen?!  His answer is he had never had sex before and didn't know about protection!  He seriously had NO IDEA about condoms or anything!  I had to tell him what to look for at the store.

Anyway, he has zero people skills and just this week he put a ring on that girls finger.

Okay, okay, whats the kicker you ask???  She's 36, has a 14, 12 and 7 year old.  Keep in mind, my guy is 18!

At first, I was sympathetic toward him.  Then started getting a bit aggravated.  Now I think he's just downright not ready or prepared to live on his own.  I seriously think since he's been sheltered his whole life and NEVER went to public school, he's missed out on some very important lessons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to add....

The woman he plans on marrying....pregnant.  Its his.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
tag

Edit-that's SERIOUSLY messed up.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
send the kids to school, if the school doesn't do a good job teaching some subjects, then tutor them at home after school.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh, what does this have to do with homeschooling?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

no kidding, sounds more like a case of an incredibly overly sheltered childhood
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess your right.  I just related it to the fact that he's never interacted with other people before.  I'll edit the topic.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of Natalie Holloway, but in a less tragic way.  Live a sheltered life, spread your wings the first time without proper guidance, and bad stuff is gonnna happen.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
There's bad home environments, and there's bad school environments.

What going to school gets you is the chance to be put out of one environment and into another, so you learn how to adapt and get along.  Same thing's likely to happen in a boarding school, or any situation where you never have to adapt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess your right.  I just related it to the fact that he's never interacted with other people before.  I'll edit the topic.

I think home schooling is definately a part of that. Most people who go to school learn normal socialization skills, and I can't imagine anyone going through school and not knowing about condoms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Reason I ask,

Three months ago a kid started working for me.  He's 18 and home schooled.  Obviously this is the first time he's ever been let off the leash.

I asked him how this could happen?!  His answer is he had never had sex before and didn't know about protection!  He seriously had NO IDEA about condoms or anything!  I had to tell him what to look for at the store.

Anyway, he has zero people skills and just this week he put a ring on that girls finger.

Okay, okay, whats the kicker you ask???  She's 36, has a 14, 12 and 7 year old.  Keep in mind, my guy is 18!

At first, I was sympathetic toward him.  Then started getting a bit aggravated.  Now I think he's just downright not ready or prepared to live on his own.  I seriously think since he's been sheltered his whole life and NEVER went to public school, he's missed out on some very important lessons.

WTF is the drip?

I went to public school until the 5th grade, when I was pulled.  Graduated in 04 from HS with my Diploma. Started going to college to work on my associates degree and Bachelor's in Criminal Justice.

I don't drink, smoke, go out and get into trouble. I guess it's cause I was homeschooled....yeah.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think home schooling is definately a part of that. Most people who go to school learn normal socialization skills, and I can't imagine anyone going through school and not knowing about condoms.

One of the sharpest kids I ever met was home schooled at home and also schooled because he spent time with his barfly parents.(Yeah, they were barflies with a sense of responsibility to their kids)

An odd education?

Worked for him.

Kodiak was a wierd place.

ETA: I changed his diapers on the pool table at Tonys Bar.

And, NO, Kodiak_AK I will NOT tell you who he is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a ridiculous story that rivals this.

My in-laws have neighbors with one daughter.  She is 18.  The mother has been bathing and showering with her for her entire life.  She has not been allowed to go on any dates, except prom, when her mother and father went with them.  She is preparing for college now AND THE MOTHER IS MOVING INTO THE SCHOOL APARTMENT WITH THE DAUGHTER.  This is 50 miles from home.  The situation is the school owns apartment buildings ad rents them to students.  So it will be as if her mother is moving into the dorm with her.

She should be pregnant by the end of the year, I would suspect.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My in-laws have neighbors with one daughter.  She is 18.  The mother has been bathing and showering with her for her entire life.  She has not been allowed to go on any dates, except prom, when her mother and father went with them.  She is preparing for college now AND THE MOTHER IS MOVING INTO THE SCHOOL APARTMENT WITH THE DAUGHTER.  This is 50 miles from home.  The situation is the school owns apartment buildings ad rents them to students.  So it will be as if her mother is moving into the dorm with her.

Douglas Mac Arthur's mother rented a place just outside of West Point and he went 'home' quite often.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The mother or the daughter?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's messed up.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't blame home schooling.  That is most certainly NOT the norm, not by a long shot.  As a person who was home-schooled his entire life, along with his six siblings and two of his cousins, I know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Douglas Mac Arthur's mother rented a place just outside of West Point and he went 'home' quite often.

Did she bathe him?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I know one family that home schooled both of their kids, the kids are both very smart, but are utter social retards. The son (who is like 19 now) has the mindset of a 12 year old. I'm not sure if he's planning on going to college or not, but I can't imagine him ever talking to a girl  ... Kinda talks like "Hey I got a new poster for my room ... it's really cool, if you come over to my house I'll show you .... I got some new numchuks too".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't blame home schooling.  That is most certainly NOT the norm, not by a long shot.  As a person who was home-schooled his entire life, along with his six siblings and two of his cousins, I know.

Honestly didnt know what to figure.  I cant say that I've known anyone who was home schooled.

Figured it was an easy connection, guess not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Many, many more socially inept and stupid kids come out of the public schools than home schools, but there's a percentage in each.  Ask any first sergeant how many of his new 18 year old recruits don't play well with others and make stupid choices.

Very poor causal link there between his stupidity and the fact that he was homeschooled--a sample size of one does not make for a valid conclusion.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in private christian school, then home school, then public school, then private christian school, and then finally home school which is where I finished my High School education.    My familiy moved alot.   My parents are both devout christians and felt that it was important to keep me under the proper influence.  Having had experience being in 3 different private schools, home school and Public school.  I will be sending my kids to Public School and supplementing their education at home.

Home School kids in a large part turn out like this Kid  I know I was involved in several home school organizations  in a LARGE part they are all carbon copies of this putz

Private School  can be divided into 2 classes

First Class worse than Home School kids are just as sheltered  as home scholl kids and brainwashed into a type of cult psychology

Second Class   worse than public school under the guise of beinga christian school you have the kids that were rejected from public school and the kids run the school

I have a large amount of Experience in Private Christian schools as I was involved in them for many years and attended 3 different schools

My least amount of involvement was in private school but in my high school years all of my friends were from public school,  the biggest problem with public schools is the fact the government has more say so over your children than you or youor community and they can not do much to enforce discipline.

I know many of you will be angry with response and try to tell me how I am wrong.  I know that in my experience which is probably greater than most here, this is the way things are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reason I ask,

WTF is the drip?
I went to public school until the 5th grade, when I was pulled.  Graduated in 04 from HS with my Diploma. Started going to college to work on my associates degree and Bachelor's in Criminal Justice.

I don't drink, smoke, go out and get into trouble. I guess it's cause I was homeschooled....yeah.

The Clap--Ghonorhea...lucky you don't know
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Unbelievable, I believe you but it is unbelievable.  Some people are friggin crazy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Direct result of home schooling. Children lose a LOT of social skills by not going to school.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I dunno... I was home schooled.. and I turned out ok. *twitch*
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Home schooling doesn't work out very well most of the time.

It's OK if it's PART of the kids education but it should never be all of it.

Private school same deal, been there, done that, agree with the above analysis.

Only the very best, most expensive private schools provide a better education than a decent public school, so what parents pay for is sheltering their kids and/or religious indoctrination.

Religious indoctrination in gradeschool backfires about 80% of the time, and the kids who swallow it whole have no ability to think for themselves.

Way too many of the kids I knew at the christian schools I attended went nuts or got themselves into serious trouble by the time they were 25, you've gotta learn some things the hard way, and the consequences are much more serious at 20 than 10 generally speaking.

A private gradeschool heavy on the three Rs isn't a bad idea, maybe home school  for a year or two when they're going through that really awkward pubescent stage, by HS public school is the only choice that makes any sense.

No matter what route you go you've gotta teach them yourself, why not take advantage of all that tax money to round them out?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Freaky.

Send her down my way....    I'd be more than happy to complete her 'education'.

If Mommy wants to come along I'll be more than happy to shower with both of them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry, I misread. Edited for correctness.

He is 18, doesn't know what a condom is, and is that naive about sex?

OK, that family has pretty much destroyed any argument in favor of home schooling at their house. Where the hell were they for the last 18 years? They didn't think this area of education was important?

Sheeesh.

Just my opinion, but I would guess that he isn't prepared for the real world in lots of ways. Playing boy-toy to a middle-aged woman might be the first clue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top