Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
does anyone make a scope with a built in rangefinder? if so, does anyone know if they're any good?

ETA: laser rangefinders specifically
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
they used to have them but the peak oil idiots put the company out of business for using oil based composites in its manufacturing department
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
great answer

maybe i shouldn't have asked this in GD
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Shepherd makes some, but you have to know the size of the target.  The system and scopes are decent, but heavy.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
hmm, i was thinking of something more along the lines of a laser rangefinder built into the scope, with a small readout showing the distance to target in yards.  that shepherd system looks pretty neat though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag

I'd like to know...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
no laser, but a mildot scope is pretty effective.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Shepherd system is simple and optical, no batteries to wear out or die.  If you are shooting at targets of that are relatively the same size, it works well.  Along the same lines, Premier Reticles used to install a hollow dot where you want it on leupold scopes.  Redfield's system was also optical but I don't think anyone is producing it know.

The Horus system trys to do everything and is pretty complex.  If you don't have a laser RF, mil-dots can be effective too.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
does anyone make a scope with a built in rangefinder? if so, does anyone know if they're any good?

Ask these guys.  They make what your looking for.  Its not cheap though.  Several thousand dollars.

www.usoptics.com
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
FN makes one for their F2000 bullpup assault rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask these guys.  They make what your looking for.  Its not cheap though.  Several thousand dollars.

www.usoptics.com

those seem to use the mil-dot system, i didn't see anything on that site about laser rangefinders...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.usoptics.com

those seem to use the mil-dot system, i didn't see anything on that site about laser rangefinders...

Call and talk them on the phone.  I did this some years ago.  It was unreal what they were offering on a scope.  Led read outs on the reticle.  Laser rangefinder.  Optoelectronic range finder.  50mm tube body...88mm objective lens....ocular(spelling?) lens bayonet attachment for night vision....thermal....4x through 50x....front focal plane....rear focal plane.....ect....ect...ect.  I talked to the owner of the company many times about options.  The proposal they sent me for the scope I wanted built came to about $8,000.  Everything costs.

[Edited to add]  I didn't go with the night vision or range finder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top