Is Calrose a good "Chinese Style" rice?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
only if you add cream of sum yun gai to make it sticky
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's too sticky, it gets caught in your throat and you can't swallow it.  So I'm told.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Calrose is bargain stuff. I usually get Nishiki Premium. Runs about $13 pre 20 pound bag around here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Cal-rose is pretty decent for a *relatively* glutinous chinese/ korean etc stule medium to small grain rice.  

The Lao, on the other hand ,use an entirely different species of rice called "khow ngeow" (English: Sticky -- or Glutinous-- Rice).  It is eaten by taking a little glob of it in the hand, then using it to dip into (kind of 'glom onto') bites of the other dishes (such as road kill du jour).

Unfortunately, true Lao sticky rice requires a unique traditional cooking pot  and a variety of bamboo contraptions to cook it.  But it is *addictive* and wonderful fun to eat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]

gotta get one of these.. kick ass way of making it perfect every time.  (I have one just like it)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
rice-cookers.wowshopper.com/pics-inventory/sunpentown-rice-cooker.jpg

gotta get one of these.. kick ass way of making it perfect every time.  (I have one just like it)

me too.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too.

Huh.

My rice cooker doesn't have little pink flowers on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too.

Huh.

My rice cooker doesn't have little pink flowers on it.

Neither does mine:

The Tatung rice cookers double as steamers. You can cook rice, porridge, and steam whatever you can fit into it. Hell, there's even an adaptor to use bamboo steamer baskets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine has teh pink flowers  
I might have to dig out the sticky rice pot and bamboo steamer. First ya gotta soak the rice overnight though, then steam it, yumm

Calrose sucks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is Calrose a good "Chinese Style" rice?

Thanks
M4-AK

Look for these brands:
Kokuho Rose
Nishiki
Tamaki Gold
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Easy way of cooking rice perfectly.

1. Rinse rice quickly.
2. Add water and soak for 20 minutes.
3. Drain water then level rice. Put your hand flat on the rice and add fresh water until the water just covers your fingers.
4. Boil the rice until steam comes out, then adjust the flame as low as possible.
5. Boil for another 30 minutes.
6. Turn off the gas and leave it as it is for 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID!
7. Move the cooked rice to a wood box, then stir it a bit.

This method is very time consuming, but IMO it is well worth it
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to rinse the rice or the cereal powder on the rice can be icky.   You really dont have to soak the rice though.

If you follow the directions its really idiot proof.

My GFs kids though the sticky rice was weird.  They were used to the rice that falls apart and has a pic of a black man on the box.

But they came around and only eat the sticky kind.

As a side note.  Lots of rice will cause signficant build up of tarter under your gums.  Make sure you get your teeth cleaned.

Also its heavy in starch and carbs so if you are on a diet, you might want to limit the amount of rice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Asian "sticky rice" is a labeled "sweet rice" in the Asian supermarkets.  The medium grade Cal-Rose is favored by many Japanese people is a bit more stickier than the long-grain rice that is grown in Texas.  A lot of that stuff is grown in the Sacramento Delta area of Calif.  Much of the Cal-rose rice is exported to Japan.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually sweet  rice is a different variety all together.  Its used for different purposes then to make sticky rice.  Its put into soup for example.  You want the varieties mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Easy way of cooking rice perfectly.

1. Rinse rice quickly.
2. Add water and soak for 20 minutes.
3. Drain water then level rice. Put your hand flat on the rice and add fresh water until the water just covers your fingers.
4. Boil the rice until steam comes out, then adjust the flame as low as possible.
5. Boil for another 30 minutes.
6. Turn off the gas and leave it as it is for 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID!
7. Move the cooked rice to a wood box, then stir it a bit.

This method is very time consuming, but IMO it is well worth it

How is that easy?

Can't beat rinsing it....adding water....and then pressing a button.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Uncle Ben's and Zatarans for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
All the rice that I eat now is plain sticky rice. I don't bother with the converted rice (non sticky kind).

Chopsticks are a necesity when eating sticky rice.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Tried the Rotan Calrose last nite. Tasty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally figured out how to make rice in a pot and get it to come out right.

I buy big bags of the jasmine rice from sam's club and cook it exactly as they instruct on the package.

I've got a heavy stainless pot with a thick copper bottom.

The rice turns out great every time and a little soaking in water cleans the pot right up.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If it's too sticky, it gets caught in your throat and you can't swallow it.  So I'm told.

So, just spit instead of swallowing.....

Calrose is fine.  Any medium or short grain rice should be sticky enough.  The shorter the grain, the stickier it is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Cal-Rose is a nice average rice.  Nice taste and about average sticky. Comes out real nice in our cooker.

Jasmine rice is nice for a change

Check before rinsing your rice, usually isn't necesary anymore.  Soaking overnight?  save that for the beans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top