Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
question. are there problems with the CZ75B? reliability/accuracy? I like being able to fire it double or single action, and it has a saftey that works the same as a 1911.

anything wrong with the ruger P series? reliability/accuracy? I want one of the ones with the manual safety and metal frame.

its one or the other, so no "get both". I would like it in 9mm. I know its not 45, so dont flame me.

this will be used for CCW when I get it, home defense, and SHTF use.

your opinion?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the CZ but I would stay away from the Rugers. I know many of you own them, never had a problem etc. But I have seen many of them go full auto, lock up, split barrels etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know about the CZ but I would stay away from the Rugers. I know many of you own them, never had a problem etc. But I have seen many of them go full auto, lock up, split barrels etc.

how many? more than 1? if you are BSing its ok, just own up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
question. are there problems with the CZ75B? reliability/accuracy? I like being able to fire it double or single action, and it has a saftey that works the same as a 1911.

anything wrong with the ruger P series? reliability/accuracy? I want one of the ones with the manual safety and metal frame.

its one or the other, so no "get both". I would like it in 9mm. I know its not 45, so dont flame me.

this will be used for CCW when I get it, home defense, and SHTF use.

your opinion?

hehe, I ask almost the exact same question six months ago. Ended up with a glock. Before I got the glock I had moved away from the CZ mentally because I heard about lots of problems with WWM ammo. This worried me because I knew I would be shooting a lot of that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Total

I actually own a Ruger, not someone with an agenda or someone that says Ruger sucks because ARFCOM said so. I've had it for about 7 years and I've never had a single malfunction of any kind, no failures to feed or eject...nothing. BTW, it's a Stainless P94 .40.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how many? more than 1? if you are BSing its ok, just own up.

Local PD had about 30 of them and SD had about 10 or so. Out of those approximately 25 of them were junk. Again they would lock up, go full auto, several had split barrels.

Two of the firearms instructors took 4 pistols to an instuctor course by the end of the course they only had one gun that was still functional.

And it was not ammo related.

They finally traded them in for Sig 226's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total
www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_bs2.gif

I actually own a Ruger, not someone with an agenda or someone that says Ruger sucks because ARFCOM said so. I've had it for about 7 years and I've never had a single malfunction of any kind, no failures to feed or eject...nothing. BTW, it's a Stainless P94 .40.

Whatever. BTDT.

Like I said many of you own them and have not had issues. I have seen it FIRST hand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a cz 75 and not a ruger so I can only comment on the cz 75.  

Great gun, very accurate, and reliable.  Shoots well and a great price.   Only "drawback" could be the weight, depending on what you want it for.  I did not buy this for a carry gun, so weight was not an issue for me.  But it does weigh over 2 lbs (all steel gun), so if you want to carry, you might look at a different gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Every story has a happy ending when it ends with 'and they traded them for Sig 226s', but I am awfully suspicious about the claims of 'split barrels' and whatnot on the Rugers. Bill Ruger may be Satan's cabana boy, but Ruger handguns tend to be rock solid, and I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total

Whatever. BTDT.

Like I said many of you own them and have not had issues. I have seen it FIRST hand.

Unless they were the very early P85s, this is bullshit, period.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total

Whatever. BTDT.

It was P85's and the stainless version.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ75's are DAMN fine handguns. I owned two of them. Only sold them because I needed money at the time. They are well made handguns. They are accurate and reliable as Hell.  I would rate them better than Ruger semi-autos.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total

Whatever. BTDT.

It was P85's and the stainless version.

Those were their first ones and were problematic.  They haven't made those in about 17 years now.  It was replaced by the P89.  Basing your opinion of the P-series on pistols that are now close to 20 years old and were known to be problematic is ridiculous.  They corrected all the flaws in the P85 with the P89.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Well shit, they haven't even sold P85's for over 16 years...even if what you say was true, which I'm not too sure I'm believing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with the CZ. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't own a cz75 but a Browning hi-power. I was at the range and a guy in the lane next to me had a cz75 so I asked him about it. He told me it was almost exactly the same as the hi-power but the CZ don't bite. So if that's the case go with the CZ.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
CZ75's are DAMN fine handguns. I owned two of them. Only sold them because I needed money at the time. They are well made handguns and are accurate as Hell.  I would rate them better than Ruger semi-autos.

Do you actually have experience with the Rugers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Ruger P 92.  It was rugged and reliable.  It was also heavy as hell, had a crapy trigger, poor ergonomics and wasn't very accurate.  I sold it and got a Sig 229 .40 and haven't looked back.  Get something that you will be happy with and don't be afraid to pay a little more for something that you will not only be happy with, but something that is 100% combat reliable both in operation and shootability.

I have heard good things about CZ though never fired one.  They almost have a cult following and a lot of people here love 'em.  CPO Sigs have flooded the market and are one of the best deals out there.  You can get a CPO Sig in 220, 226, 228, or 229 under $470.  You can't beat that since they retail new for $750.  Sigpro is also an option.  You can also get a NIB Glock for $430-$470 depending on model.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZ75's are DAMN fine handguns. I owned two of them. Only sold them because I needed money at the time. They are well made handguns and are accurate as Hell.  I would rate them better than Ruger semi-autos.

Do you actually have experience with the Rugers?

Come on, this is ARFCOM you don't actually need to know what you're talking about. Peope here see some of the members here cutting Rugers to shreds so to play it safe they're like "Yeah man, Rugers suck, I hate Bill Ruger".

Then you ask 'Have you ever even shot one?" And then they're like "Ummm....no...but I hear they suck."
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I had a Ruger P 92.  It was rugged and reliable.  It was also heavy as hell, had a crapy trigger, poor ergonomics and wasn't very accurate.  I sold it and got a Sig 229 .40 and haven't looked back.  Get something that you will be happy with and don't be afraid to pay a little more for something that you will not only be happy with, but something that is 100% combat reliable both in operation and shootability.

I have heard good things about CZ though never fired one.  They almost have a cult following and a lot of people here love 'em.  CPO Sigs have flooded the market and are one of the best deals out there.  You can get a CPO Sig in 220, 226, 228, or 229 under $470.  You can't beat that since they retail new for $750.  Sigpro is also an option.  You can also get a NIB Glock for $430-$470 depending on model.  

WTF is a P92?

Take this advice with a grain of salt. There's no such thing as a P92.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every story has a happy ending when it ends with 'and they traded them for Sig 226s', but I am awfully suspicious about the claims of 'split barrels' and whatnot on the Rugers. Bill Ruger may be Satan's cabana boy, but Ruger handguns tend to be rock solid, and I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

I owned a 226, but needed the money so i sold it. it was a great gun, but i think ill try something else. the ruger seems solid, but the CZ seems like it has a better folowing. i dont know. ill let yall hash it out then make my decision.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
CZ

best gun value out there IMHO
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
CZ!

ex-GF bought a CZ75 BD (her first gun).

Solid, built like a Swiss watch, easy to shoot, accurate, good trigger.  As stated it's a bit heavy but dead nuts reliable and a classic.

I've also shot a Ruger and it's NOT in the same league as the CZ.

PS: My ex uses the 75 as her primary carry (SOB) and given her build (tall/curvy) it works just great for her, the weight doesn't bother her in the least.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is a P92?

Take this advice with a grain of salt. There's no such thing as a P92.

Shit sorry......P94 I forgot the model number.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

P92???????????????
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

P92???????????????

See my last post.  It was a 94.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kept my P90, added a P89 and P345, AND got the Sig 226 (along with 3 other Sigs and an HK).

I have actually seen +P+ ammo with boxes that noted to be used in Ruger P-series only.  No matter what some THINK they know, the P-series are overbuilt and can take the pressures that some more "refined" pistols cannot take.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't know about the CZ's, but my ALL of my Rugers work just fime.  I have to admit they share a safe with such cheapies as HK, Kahr, and my sorry assed Springfield 9109L 1911 so I don't think I could be nonbiased.

I'm backing 89grand on his comment on the Ruger bashing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i've had both. kept the cz. it's a MUCH better gun.

rugers are reliable but accuracy is marginal at best even out of a rest mine was min of dumpster at 25 feet.

Oh horsepuckey.  If you remember, after a few shooting tips from you, I was knocking those plates down at FOP quite nicely with my P345.  If I remember correctly, you shot a mag through it and did not miss.

As for CZ being a much better gun, more horsepuckey.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I gotta agree with the Cz-75 buts they are great, I do not currently own one, but hope to remedy this soon.  As for Rugers I have owned them and have shot alot more I will not be adding one to my collection.  nuff said
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rugers are reliable but accuracy is marginal at best even out of a rest mine was min of dumpster at 25 feet.

Oh horsepuckey.  If you remember, after a few shooting tips from you, I was knocking those plates down at FOP quite nicely with my P345.  If I remember correctly, you shot a mag through it and did not miss.

Come on Larry. I've own a few P-series handguns and at best they are adequate poodle-shooters, but nothing to write home about. In the 9mm platform the original poster asked about, 9mm Glocks and 9mm Sigs are far superior in weight, size, and accuracy to the 9mm P-series. I have several of each, so this is first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I've owned my P-85 since 1987 can't say how many rounds it has gone through without any issues what so ever. It's digested +p, surplus, ball, jhp, and some dirty lead crap I bought for cheap. Well I guess I bought the only good one they sold.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#33]
so is the general consensus that the rugers are adequate pistols, with adequate accuracy, but nothing uber special?

it seems that no one hates the CZ 75B. is $409 + tax a good price for one new?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Have both sold the Ruger. The CZ are much nicer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on Larry. I've own a few P-series handguns and at best they are adequate poodle-shooters, but nothing to write home about. In the 9mm platform the original poster asked about, 9mm Glocks and 9mm Sigs are far superior in weight, size, and accuracy to the 9mm P-series. I have several of each, so this is first hand knowledge.

Well, he only asked about the P-series and the CZ, not all the others.  I owned a CZ75 for a while and absolutely did not like it.  Not saying it was bad, just did not like it.  It does cost a little more as well.

As for the accuracy, my Sigs are only slightly, if any, more accurate than my Sigs.  I rotate through my pistols weekly and carry my P-series as readily as my Sigs or HK.

As for Glock, no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
so is the general consensus that the rugers are adequate pistols, with adequate accuracy, but nothing uber special?

it seems that no one hates the CZ 75B. is $409 + tax a good price for one new?

Facts really have little to do with a lot of the posts.  No one "hates" the CZ because most have no experience with them.  They "hate" the Rugers based on bullshit they heard, for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

remind me to bring the cz next time. you'll sell the ruger within a week i usually don't miss unless i'm having a REAL bad day. lately i've had more bad days than good ones

Nope, had a CZ before.  Look which ones I kept.

If the Ruger was so bad on accuracy, as you claimed in the quoted post, you would have had to miss, not matter how good a shot you are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Look the Ruger is a good solid pistol,  the CZ-75 is a VERY good pistol, I know alot of people that have had Rugers and got rid of them for the same reasons I do not like them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
so is $409 NIB a good price for a CZ75B?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]
CZ
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 2 P series Ive owned for over 12yrs now.....my p89 and P90 have each seen over 10k rounda easily...without one issue. They are soild pistols..BUT I would never carry it because they are tanks........
Ive never owned a CZ so I cant comment on those. Im looking at picking one up but havent done so yet. My CCW piece is a Glock 26.
good luck
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
so is $409 NIB a good price for a CZ75B?

thats at my local academy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd say CZ. the rugers felt cheap in my hands, much more so than the Mk II that I own.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#47]
While I'm perfectly happy with my P89DC, I'd probably get the CZ75B.  How do they feel in your hand?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a P-89 for a while.  It was solidly built, reliable and reasonably accurate.  I ended up selling it because it was too bulky for me to CCW and I couldn't get used to the long trigger pull.  Most of my pistols are single action and the Ruger trigger left a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
While I'm perfectly happy with my P89DC, I'd probably get the CZ75B.  How do they feel in your hand?

I held them both today, and I like the thinner grips on the CZ. I have large hands and its easier for me to grip onto smaller pistols. a set of hogue grips on that bad boy, and it would be "like a glove".

how the finish on them?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top