Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 9:48:51 AM EDT
I am trying to learn the language that I should have long ago. I feel that I have let my mom down a little not being able to speak it. I wish I could go back when my mind was still sharp and let her teach me but what done is done and all I can do is try to learn again. Now I have two sons of my own and want to pass something on. I checked wikipedia and I found a little but all the words were pretty basic and I knew those already. So if there is anybody that has any tapes or books or knows where to find them
It would be much appreciated. Thanks, Vince  

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Lithuanian here! Sorry, no luck with the language though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I thought you meant Leutonian.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
See if there is a local church.  Here in Philly there are groups for Polish so you might find the same thing for Lithuanian.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Lithuanian extraction here on my mother's side, but my grandmother did not pass the language along to her children (they were in America after all) so it died out.  When my grandmother had her stroke, she lost English language completely, but Lithuanian was still in there.  When you spoke to her, she translated it into lithuanian and answered in broken lithuanian further scrambled up by ephasia.

Find an ethnic church group.  One of the older people there will be able to speak lithuanian and may be able to help you.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I am tring to find a church or maybe a senior center that might be able to help. I could learn the language and spend a little time with one of the seniors, I am sure they wouldn't mind the company.

Voodoo17- I was born an raised in Philly. There used to be a Lithuanian club on Allegheny Ave that my Grandmother used to go to. You wouldn't be familiar with it would you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top