Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 8:40:44 AM EDT
I heard this on public radio several times last year.  Anybody that says public radio is fair and balanced has their head up their ass.

MY COUNTRY USED TO BE
Dave Frishberg  - 2003

Once I pledged allegiance to the flag of the good old USA
And to the values for which it stood:
The home, the family, the neighborhood,
'Cause while it lasted, well, it sure felt good.
While it lasted, it sure felt good.

Now I pledge allegiance under God to the mighty corporations,
To the airport search, to the secret police,
To the wiretaps, to the war on peace,
As America marches into action
With our weapons of mass distraction.

My country used to be
Emblem of democracy,
Freedom unfurled.
Once we were hailed and cheered,
Honored, world-revered,
Now we're despised and feared,
Alone against the world.

My country used to be
Land of productivity.
We stocked the store.
Now we make paper trails,
Profits from secret sales,
And then when all else fails,
We concoct a war.

My country used to be
Land of opportunity,
Second to none.
My country once was proud.
We stood above the crowd.
No need to shout out loud,
"We're number one!"

I hope my children live to see
A land like my country used to be.

[The tune to verses 1 and 2 borrows from "Yankee Doodle," and the tune of verses 3-5 borrows from "My Country 'Tis of Thee" a.k.a. "God Save the Queen."

Frishberg recorded an earlier version of this song on his album "Quality Time," 1993.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
what a homo!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
And now the tax thieves have Ted Kopple.  Killing time is near.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hope my children live to see
A land like my country used to be.

That's the real pisser! This worthless bastard has been breeding!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
He thinks the under god part is new?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
So move to a different country asshole.  I'm so sick of that shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
correct me if i'm wrong, but he wants things how they USED to be, before the bullshit. Not how they are now. And yes, I'll admit it, I do think the war in iraq is bullshit.

But I do support the troops, and plan to join them as soon as I'm legally able to. I just don't support the war.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
correct me if i'm wrong, but he wants things how they USED to be, before the bullshit. Not how they are now. And yes, I'll admit it, I do think the war in iraq is bullshit.

But I do support the troops, and plan to join them as soon as I'm legally able to. I just don't support the war.

You support the troops but not what they are doing? Why dont you walk up to a Marine or Soldier and say that?.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You support the troops but not what they are doing? Why dont you walk up to a Marine or Soldier and say that?.

Easy now. I think it is totally possible to support the troops, and disagree with the war.  Supporting the troops does not mean you have to agree with the war.  You can thank a soldier or Marine for defending this country, and doing his or her duty.  why does support for the troops mean you have to be Pro-War.  I wish things could be solved with out war, and with out sending our men and women over seas.  If every conflict could be solved with out people dying then that would be great, but that is a pipe dream at best.  I think this young man shares the same opinion as many of our soldiers, sailors and marines.  They have a job to do, and they are doing it.  But I bet you they wish they could do it closer to home, and do it with out their friends dying and being injured.  

And before you start, Yes I was in the service.  4 years and have the DD214 to prove it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top