Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 2:51:47 AM EDT
about 10 years ago i had a 750 standard (honda nighthawk)/.

sold it an now i have the bug again.
i want to spend less than 3000.00 on it.
looking at sport bikes.
the 600 cc series looks good.  you can find them all over houston for about 3k
the 900-1000 are a lot more and they seem to fit me 6'-4" better but how important is fit?
how fast if a 600 with 240# of meat on top?
just looking to have a little fun.  not race or "punk out"

thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Go for a 900, 240# of person will be better propelled by the 900s or above.  I'd recommend putting a little more money towards your budget, say, about $6500 and buy something like a 2001 GSX-R1000.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, you won't get a lot of current sport bike for $3k. You might be able to touch an early to mid 90's bike for that, but not many of those are in the $3k range. One bike that should be about that range but is a terrific bike is the Suzuki RF900. Kind of a sport tourer with about 80% emphasis on the sport part. Good looking bike too.

If you want something newer, an SV650 would be worth your trouble, but a few hundred dollars more. IF it were me, I'd just save until you can afford what you want. That's what I did this time around-it's not like you haven't ridden before, pick what you want in a bike and get it. If it takes a little longer, so be it.

Dave

BTW: Look in your area for salvage auctions. Those places can be a real gold mine for lightly damaged bikes that just need cosmetics to new bikes that were stolen and just need a few parts replaced.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend you take the MSF course again if it's been ten years.  As for buying a 600/750/1000 it's purely up to you.  They will all kill you a flash if you're not careful but the bigger bikes are less forgiving to mistakes (i.e. an accidently blip of the throttle can flip you right over).  As for fit it is very important if you plan on riding more than 30 minutes at a time.  I ride an '01 929 which is probably the most comfortable of the sport bikes; higher clip ons, lower foot pegs which equal a more up right riding position.  If I could do it over again (I can't afford to buy another bike right now) I would buy something in the sport touring class - FZ1, Interceptor, 919, SV series or if I dare say even a BUELL.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing in the $3k range is going to flip him over with a whiff of the throttle.. Hell, I have a 2005 GSXR1000 and it ain't that bad. Sure, it will flip you over in 2nd gear on the throttle, but you have to be a real fucking hamfist to do it. It's not like you are holding a hand grenade in your right hand...

Riding like a lemming will getcha killed on any bike.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Go here for info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top