Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:13 PM EDT
So, I've been playing around with synthesizer emulators on my computer, composed a couple trance songs (which I may post when I get hosting), but I figure I might want to get a MIDI keyboard pretty soon to use for more direct control than simply entering values... I was looking for probably a 25-key for compactness (desk real estate is a premium with my scanner and massive case), preferably something in the $50-100 range.

Any suggestions?

ETA: If there's nothing quality in that range, I can MAYBE go to $200, but the lower, the better...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/703605V/

Refurb, so it's cheaper than brand new (but still under warranty)

USB connectivity.

Pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
they also have a blemished one for about $5 more (probably a return because someone didn't like it for some stupid reason so you save 20% off the price off new.

But if you spend $99 on a new one, you get free shipping. Which you wouldn't with the refurb / blem keyboards, unless you bought something else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Significant Terminology if you are shopping:
A MIDI keyboard is (generally) a keyboard that has input and/or output of MIDI signals, but that also works as a standalone instrument. It may not have speakers built-in, but it will have its own on-board sound generating ability (such as a line-out or headphone jack, that you can run to a mixer or external amp).
A keyboard MIDI controller is a keyboard that has ports for OUTPUT of MIDI only, and does not work as a standalone instrument. They usually costs less, but have no actual "sound-generating" capabilties of their own built-in---ALL they do is generate MIDI signals. They must be hooked to another device that has MIDI-input to do anything useful. MIDI controllers come in various types--keyboards, drums, string instruments, ect.
I have a keyboard controller for messing around, a Evolution MK149 because I just got it for messing around doing songs on the PC.
~
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Just for messing around you might look at the Oxygen 8 series,
I bought mine to work with reason on my laptop and its full featured, plus you don't need Midi cables as it runs midi-via-usb.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Kurzweil.

You'll never be happy until you do.

BenDover's Studio...

Kurzweil K-2600

Reason
Cakewalk
Pro-Tools
Soundforge
CuBase
Rebirth

MOTU PCI interface 48 channels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top