Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:17:47 PM EDT
I have a model 94 that was in very poor condition. The wood was cracked w/ no stain but lots of dents. The metal had ZERO bluing, was rusted an pitted. The rifling doesnt look bad but has seen better days. The front site blade was  homemade and you couldnt hit the side of a barn trying to use them. I have since completely stripped it and glass beaded the receiver. It is coming along nicely. I removed the barrel and I am considering cutting it down to 16 inches, and adding a new set of sites. My only problem is the rifle serial number is in the 800,000 mark. It was made in 1912. I got it from my grandpa, who used it as a trunk gun for several years, and had now idea what oil is. I dont know if  I should try to restore it back to original or just have fun with it. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't cut it. Have it refinished since you already blasted it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
.30-30 ?

Keep it as a momento.  Shoot it.

Granpa would have wanted it that way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If keeping grandpas gun in original condition doesn't mean anything to you it sure wont mean anything to a stranger.  Cut it, sand blast it and put a matte finish on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy and cut up a new one before I  screwed with  grandpa's gun!!!!!  That could be bad karma!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.30-30 ?

Keep it as a momento.  Shoot it.

Granpa would have wanted it that way.

This is what I am thinking, It will never be sold. It is a solid shooter, just bad sites. I am probably going to put a synthetic stock on it, and through it in my truck. It worked for him it will work for me. The only reason I am thinking of chopping it, is because I have to recrown it anyway, and I thought a 16" barrel would make it a little handier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
And yes its a 30-30.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If keeping grandpas gun in original condition doesn't mean anything to you it sure wont mean anything to a stranger.  Cut it, sand blast it and put a matte finish on it.

It was only a tool to him, nothing more. That is what it is to me also. It is nice to have a reminder of him around, even as grumpy as he was, but apperiance doesnt make me remember, function does.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I would send it to a gunsmith and get it restored..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a model 94 that was in very poor condition. The wood was cracked w/ no stain but lots of dents. The metal had ZERO bluing, was rusted an pitted. The rifling doesnt look bad but has seen better days. The front site blade was  homemade and you couldnt hit the side of a barn trying to use them. I have since completely stripped it and glass beaded the receiver. It is coming along nicely. I removed the barrel and I am considering cutting it down to 16 inches, and adding a new set of sites. My only problem is the rifle serial number is in the 800,000 mark. It was made in 1912. I got it from my grandpa, who used it as a trunk gun for several years, and had now idea what oil is. I dont know if  I should try to restore it back to original or just have fun with it. What do you all think?

Good question, I have a similar situation and wondered the same thing about restoring an old 94 from my grandfather. It's a model 94 with a 5 digit serial number. In about the same condition.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My only problem is the rifle serial number is in the 800,000 mark. It was made in 1912.

Mine's in the 100000 range. Where do you find manufacture date?

NMSight
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have my Dads Model 64 .32 special (long barrel,5 shot)
I will NEVER mess with this rifle!!!
I still hunt with it occasionaly and it will go to my son and then hopefully to my grandson.

DO NOT MESS WITH HERITAGE!!!

Model 94 30.30 carbine?  Yeah, I have one of those too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Restore it or you will regret it for the rest of your life.  Sorry to put that on you but that is the fact.  I've wasted a few of those opportunities and I'm sick every time I think about it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My only problem is the rifle serial number is in the 800,000 mark. It was made in 1912.

Mine's in the 100000 range. Where do you find manufacture date?

NMSight

I brought it in to a gun dealer a while ago and he looked up the umber for me, I am not sure on the accuracy on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
McNasty, ol' buddy . You work at a gunshop don't you? Do you have a listing of Win manufacturing dates by serial number?

NMSight

Oh yeah, to stay on track. I got mine from my Grandad too. Wouldn't dream of changing it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Restore it or you will regret it for the rest of your life.  Sorry to put that on you but that is the fact.  I've wasted a few of those opportunities and I'm sick every time I think about it.

That is what I was afraid of but to restore it, I would have to get a new barrel anyway. The sites are screwed up and the bore isnt pretty.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
McNasty, ol' buddy . You work at a gunshop don't you? Do you have a listing of Win manufacturing dates by serial number?

NMSight

Oh yeah, to stay on track. I got mine from my Grandad too. Wouldn't dream of changing it.

Just a min.. Ill call the shop...

What are / is the #'s?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
A proper re-crown will take less that 1/8 inch off the barrel. I'd get the missing parts from gunpartscorp.com, mat blue it, add a nice walnut stock/handguard and keep it for posterity. An SKS makes a better trunk gun anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NMSight

What are / is the #'s?

Mine is 802,8XX
Thanks for looking these up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A proper re-crown will take less that 1/8 inch off the barrel. I'd get the missing parts from gunpartscorp.com, mat blue it, add a nice walnut stock/handguard and keep it for posterity. An SKS makes a better trunk gun anyway.

I will use it for hunting, I have other trunk guns that will work for 2 leg varmints.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NMSight

What are / is the #'s?

IM inbound
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't know if these are accurate though.
 Winchester manufacture dates
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

By that site it was made in 1916.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok you guys need to thank my dad.. He's at the shop looking it up..

Warhound.. 1916

NMSight.. Sometime between 1943-1947.. The record # for these years are missing..

Dad said no more tonight...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yup there the same as I have in my book..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Get new wood stocks from Boyds and have it re-blued.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to keep it as a trunk gun, pimp it out by putting a military style parkerized finish on it.

I've never seen a model 94 with a park finish but I think it would look cool and be very durable.

Don't cut it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Warhound.. 1916

NMSight.. Sometime between 1943-1947.. The record # for these years are missing..

Great to hear. Thank the dad for me to. Sometime I dont trust the websites.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]
How bad is the pitting? Most of it can be flat sanded/ drawfiled out.. As for stocks you can get thoses from Dixey Gunworks or Numrich.. What ever you do DO NOT CUT THE BARREL!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#30]
You could have the gun profesionally restored. At least that is what I would do with such an old gun.. There are places that specialize in this type of work..

At least send it out and have it rust blued, not hot tanked. You could probably restore the orginal wood as well.

Buy a newer Winchester for 200 bucks to throw in the trunk..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
How long is the barrel now?  Seems like you’d also have to shorten the magazine tube.

FWIW, you could probably restore the stock if you wanted to by epoxying the crack, raising the dents with steam, and refinishing it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope you are just jokeing about doing anything but haveing the front site restored,and re-blueing this fine old 94!!!!

Your GrandPa would want you to refurbish this rifle!!!!

DWGWD  (Do what Grandpaw would do)!!  I'll trade you a damn nigh new Win BB in .375 Win for it ,before I'd see you cut it up!!!  Go with what your heart tells you!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How bad is the pitting? Most of it can be flat sanded/ drawfiled out.. As for stocks you can get thoses from Dixey Gunworks or Numrich.. What ever you do DO NOT CUT THE BARREL!

The reciever is done and looks a lot better, just needs a finnish of some sort. It is sitting in oil till I figure out what to do. The barrel is sitting in the lathe right now awaiting is future. The stock is trash, he cut of the old curved butt-plate and added a after market butt-plate on it. front hand gaurd is cracked down the middle about 90% of the way. It is almost 2 pieces.

I am thinking of just getting it up and running for now, until I can do a full restore.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Warhound.. 1916

Please tell him thanks from me! I know Grandad got it sometime around the end of WWII, then gave it to me on the day I was born in 1950.

NMSight
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I hope you are just jokeing about doing anything but haveing the front site restored,and re-blueing this fine old 94!!!!

Your GrandPa would want you to refurbish this rifle!!!!

DWGWD  (Do what Grandpaw would do)!!  I'll trade you a damn nigh new Win BB in .375 Win for it ,before I'd see you cut it up!!!  Go with what your heart tells you!!!!

Bob

Dont say that, He would tell me to cut the damn thing. Like I said it was a tool to him. What ever makes it more usefull. It aint for lookin, its for shootin.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Warhound.. 1916

Please tell him thanks from me! I know Grandad got it sometime around the end of WWII, then gave it to me on the day I was born in 1950.

NMSight

That one there is special.
I got mine when I first started hunting. Was told I could use it as long as I would like, he hadnt used it in years. He ended up dieing before I ever gave it back to him. My grandma told me I could have it as long as I never got ride of it. I also got a 30-06 built on a mauser action. That one I will never touch since he liked the stock on it so much.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I was afraid of but to restore it, I would have to get a new barrel anyway. The sites are screwed up and the bore isnt pretty.  

And...?

ETA:  Why do you have to get a new barrel?  Is the rifling worn out?  Just because its not pretty, doesn't mean it can't shoot straight.  Clean it real good.  Put new sights on it.  Clean up the wood and evaluate it again.  We all get character with age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top