Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 2:28:10 PM EDT
i sent out a money order last week friday from california to alabama for a no.1 mk.3 enfield and as of wednsday the seller hasnt received it yet. its a western union money order and i have the receipt/stub from it, they want $12 to run a trace. my question is if the seller cashed the mo and tells me he never received it do i have any recourse, will the trace reveal its been cashed by him? this is my first buy from a private party and i was leery going into the deal but he has 2 or 3 positive transactions that i traced down. i probably should have sent it return receipt but i didn't. thanks for any advice....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the learning curve.  Next time, get ALL of his info.  Call him at his home number and use Postal MO's for anti-fraud insurance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
oh well live and learn i guess. do i even bother running the $12 trace?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How did you send it?  First class, or priority?  The mail is still screwed up from the holidays in some places.  Are you still in contact with the buyer throughout this whole time?

I'd give it till the end of the week. Best case, he didn't get it, you just go and suck up the fee to cancel the MO, and try again. Worst case, he scams you, and there are some (albeit few) options for recourse.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What city does the guy live in?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would run the trace, I had to deal with this awhile back, I thought the seller was shady when he kept saying he didnt get my money order. I ran a trace, turns out it was most likely stolen from my mailbox and altered, then cashed by a third party.  I ended up getting both my items that I had paid for, and my money back from USPS for the stolen money order.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
oh yeah i know of a few dirty deeds done dirt cheap too. the seller is in phenix city, al. , i mapped it out and he is way out in the sticks. the main reason i went through with it is my gut said this guy is honest and hopefully its right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Phenix, AL!  Oh shit man!  That's Ft.Bennings' whorehouse/saloon/pawnshop.  Almost as bad as Columbus.  Take heart and run your trace.  Next time just remember to use USPS MO's and get all his info first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah i think this guy is an army ranger or in the army. his avatar is a pic of him presumably in iraq in front of a saddam flag and his avatar on another forum is some kind of army ranger insignia.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
my gut is still giving me a warm fuzzy feeling
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
give it a couple of more days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How did you send it?  First class, or priority?  The mail is still screwed up from the holidays in some places.  .

+ 1,000,000

I sent out a rifle [ to an arfcomer no less ] on Jan 4th, priority mail.   It just got delivered today.  I had signature confirmation and the receiving post office did not log it in as per regs and my local post office could not even track it !!  I was really thinking the thing was lost and then got the email saying it had arrived

rj
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top