Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 12:21:03 PM EDT
Basically what I want to do is use some kind of encrypted connection FROM work TO a PC running at home to do remote desktop.

The idea being that the net snoops at work can tell that I'm doing something, but can't tell what unless they swipe my passwords or monitor whatever shows up on my screen here.

The problem is that work has a firewall.

I can browse the web though, so I wonder, is there anyway I can connect to the home machine through the firewall by making the connection look like web browser activity?

Any software I should look into?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
SSH tunnels.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you should look at a new job.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like you should look at a new job.  

Why?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Not without pissing off the IT guys like me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a look at vnc - google it.

I've used ultra vnc with tcp/udp 80 and it worked ok.

You might want to corrupt remote reg, rdp and sms.dll before-hand though.

<edit>
If you get a "no so nice" it person, he is just going to key-log you and kill your home machine though. It's kind of an escalating game which you will eventually lose.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have a look at vnc - google it.

I've used ultra vnc with tcp/udp 80 and it worked ok.

You might want to corrupt remote reg, rdp and sms.dll before-hand though.

<edit>
If you get a "no so nice" it person, he is just going to key-log you and kill your home machine though. It's kind of an escalating game which you will eventually lose.

I don't have a problem browsing the web at work. I do it all the time. My boss doesn't have a problem with it either.

I just thought it would be attractive to be able to browse without having some dude get a regular list of every web site I frequent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
GOTOMYPC.COM

Beautiful system, works through any firewall, and reasonably fast too boot.

You pay a monthly fee, download and run the host software on your home 'puter, and then log in through "gotomypc" on your work computer.   It downloads a temporary client and the client displays graphically your exact other desktop.   Its like you're sitting there.  

I use it to access my work computer from home, from the road, etc.  

WELL worth the monthly fee.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to logmein.com. You can install a pc-anywhere like program (on both machines) and login just as you would if you were right there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Router at home, What about VPN?, then use anything to actually connect.

or
logmein (I have used it in a commerical environment) seemed to work well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top