Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 8:06:18 AM EDT
and nobody gets IBTP..........

I save mine, seldom spend change.

Coinstar's counting machines now offer FREE Amazon coupons - beats paying 8.9% for their counting fee.

Skip the Coin-Counting Fee at Select Coinstar Centers and Get a Gift Card or eCertificate

Starbucks
Amazon.com
Linens
Borders
Hollywood Video
Pier 1 Imports

my pennies & nickels were $41.07 this time, dimes were $85.75
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#1]
iatp!
first poller!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
oh, btw, I save it up until I get a halfway decent amount - anywhere from $10 to $20 - and then I take it to the bank when I go there for something else.

Pays for a few fast food meals.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
NOTA. I put it on my dresser or leave it in my pants, & junior has mining rights to supplement his allowance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Got quite a bit saved.  ...some silver....

I "think" I will take it to the bank but don't get around to it.  I'm sure it's more than $100 but less than $500.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a large change bank that I throw my change into and have for years. I'll probably cash it in to help pay for my next big vacation (someday).

I occasionally spend change, and keep a little in my truck for when I'm at drive through restaurants.

Oh, a tip: If you're short by a penny or two at a drive through and don't feel like breaking a larger bill, drive forward to the window and look on the ground. Chances are you'll find a few pennies that people dropped and didn't feel like picking up. I did that recently  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#6]
As a kid, the family had a change jar that we bought camping gear with.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
all saved

many Crown Royal bags filled with silver.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I save the <'83 pennies (all copper).

Other change is wrapped. I take it to the range and use it for range fee. Cashier loves it. Seems like I have a roll up there now, and Saturday is going to be nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Spend it.  Soda machines, use it for exact change, etc.  Otherwise you gotta break a bill, and that's one less bill you have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It's my once a year "Oh Shit!" money.  

Usually rake in around $150 when I break down and take it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Mostly saved. Whenever I get home, I throw all my change into a little safe thing that I got when I was like 10 or so. Whenever it gets full, I empty it out, roll it up, and deposit it. I very rarely spend it directly. Once in a while, if I'm buying something small that's a few dollars and change, I'll see if I have the change to make the correct price instead of breaking larger bills.

It's kind of a version of Neal Boortz's dollar bill savings plan, on a smaller scale. His plan is that you never spend dollar bills. Any time you get any of them as change, you save them and put them back in the bank. Supposedly, it adds up pretty well, and really cuts down on buying lots of small things, which normally add up to a lot. I'm like that with change. It doesn't usually add up to all that much, though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I save everything but the quarters.  They end up in the vending machines at work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
We save it all year and then in the middle of summer we take it to our beach property and have great weekend. Kids get to ride on rides and really fast go-carts, mom and I have a good meal and maybe a new kite...We call the fund our Beach fund III as this is our third year...Saving is good
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Spend it.

pull the quarters for laundry duty (does that count as save?), spend the rest for exact change and vend machines.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Save them. Last I checked my GT receiver fund had 65$ in it from change picked up in the Ballard laundry rooms and change gotten by other means.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Coinstar is your friend
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 5 gallon pickle jar that i change in when it gets full. Silver, pennies, hell even some bitch bucks. It's sitting at about 85% now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I save my change for a year normaly from August to August.
Organize them with coffee cups; Dimes in one cup, quarters in another, etc
At the end of that period, I count them all up, put them in rolls, and exchange it for bills at the bank.
This years haul: $147.56
I also pick up change on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
We save it, roll it, then spend it when the coin jar (big one) is full.  Usually about $150-200 when its topped off.  My wife and I take turns each time deciding how to spend the money, but it always has to be for something "extra" or "fun" not something practical like paying the bills...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I save it ...................makes for good ammo money
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Took all mine to the bank a couple of month's ago and got over $400. Probably have another $100 sitting here right now. Bought a 18.5" Remington 870 Express Magnum with the tube magazine extension and bought $100 worth of ammo at the gun show
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Thats my toy money..  my silver change gets tossed in a gallon gaterade jug that i had..   when i fill it, I cash it in and splurge with it  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Took $80 in quarters to the bank today.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Save it.  We have a 5 gallon water jug that I put all of my change in at the end of each day.  Also empty out the car ashtrays and the wife's purse @ once a month.  Been doing this for @ 10years now and the jug is about 2/3 full.  I originally told my wife we would change it in when it was full or we couldn't lift it anymore (that was at 1/2 full) but now we want to wait until it's full to see how much $ is in it.

Maybe next year....

M590man
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I save change and dollar bills.

I always separate out the quarters, which go into a 1 gallon glass jar, but the rest goes into a #5 pickle crock.

Interesting how once it hits the crock, it goes from being my change to "our change" if you married types know what I mean. Thats why the quarters and dollars stay separate.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I save it and put it in a bucket at home, every three months I dump it, rolll it, cash it, and go away for the weekend.  Ninety day average is about $300.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Put it in a coffee can. It averages about $200 when full.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Coinstar is your friend

Why do people go to coinstar?

Don't you have banks? They do this kind of stuff for free.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coinstar is your friend

Who?  We've got one bank that does - the rest you have to roll your own, and put your account number or  name & phone number on the rolls, as I recall

PIA
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I save it in a glass milk jar and then every year I spend it on my son when his birthday comes!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coinstar is your friend

Who?  We've got one bank that does - the rest you have to roll your own, and put your account number or  name & phone number on the rolls, as I recall

PIA

Wow. That sucks.

So everybody else doesn't have a bank that has a free (for account holders) coin counting machine in the lobby?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wow. That sucks.

So everybody else doesn't have a bank that has a free (for account holders) coin counting machine in the lobby?

Uh, NO.  I've only seen one bank that does that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. That sucks.

wow. Glad my bank doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I save all my change and $1 bills. I have probably over $1K in cash and change at this point.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#36]
The only thing Harley in my house is my piggy bank.  I only save quarters and dimes.  Probably heavily dimes in it right now from robbing quarters to go to the car wash.  I weighed it the other day.  Just over 24 lbs.  Usually between $200 & $300. Like somebody else said, we use it for something fun, not bills.

rj
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Most of the quarters get spent at the carwash, road tolls, coffee at work, ect.  The rest just piles up here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Save it. Made over $460 last year, that paid for christmas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I spend it. I may wind up with a pocket of change after a  day of spending, but then I'll turn as much as I can in for bills, or try to pay exact change to burn some of it up. And then I have broke days like today where all I HAVE in my pocket is a small amount of change.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. That sucks.

My credit union has one and the amount goes right into your account. I have yet to use it.

At the end of the day all my change goes into a little bucket then the wallet/knife/pens/ammo.. etc.. on top. When the little bucket gets too full to contain the wallet, the change get dumped into a 5 gallon bucket. I have been doing this for about 15 years have about 20 gallons worth.

Anyone care to guess how much is there ????
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Save it.  When the teller at the local bank sees me walk in with a .50 cal. ammo can, she knows why I'm there.  Did I mention that it's possible to lug nearly $500 in change that way?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#42]
We save a small pile of it, but save it for the slots.  I am not a big gambler, but that is expendable to me.  After moving and having to deal with over 50 lbs of coins, I make sure that never happens again.  You need to roll it, the bank will NOT count it.  What a pain in the buttocks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
[At the end of the day all my change goes into a little bucket then the wallet/knife/pens/ammo.. etc.. on top. When the little bucket gets too full to contain the wallet, the change get dumped into a 5 gallon bucket. I have been doing this for about 15 years have about 20 gallons worth.

You need to get all that change back into circulation. What good does it do you sitting in a 5 gallon pail?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I almost never pay with change. It all goes in a jar. That jar doesn't go to a rip-off machine; it goes to my bank where I get 100% of its value in cash, not 80% or less in coupons.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[At the end of the day all my change goes into a little bucket then the wallet/knife/pens/ammo.. etc.. on top. When the little bucket gets too full to contain the wallet, the change get dumped into a 5 gallon bucket. I have been doing this for about 15 years have about 20 gallons worth.

You need to get all that change back into circulation. What good does it do you sitting in a 5 gallon pail?

In the past If I run into someone I know thats on hard time . Ive offered them to come over and roll some for the themself. I dont loan people money but I will give it away. Ive found out people dont like to roll coins so it kinda weeds out the really needy VS the people who just want a hand out. Depends on who it is what the rules are, everybody wants to roll quarters but there are alot of pennies and nickles too. If roll 25.00 in quarters,dimes,nicklels you roll the equal amount of pennies. Then Il spilt what ever they roll with them. Thats work some people dont minds other cant stand. Ive helped my brother, sister and some friends who have temp cash flow problems.

Its been about 7 years since anyone on hard times has rolled any. Seems I have moved out of the circle of people who are willing or need handouts . Now its just money waiting for a good deed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Every night I empty my change into a box in my desk at home. I sometimes use bills even if I have chamge in my pocket so I usually come home with well over a dollar in change a day but I don't really miss it on a day to day basis.

I count it up about one a year and usually have $500 - $600, then I go spend it on Eotechs, new uppers, new pistol, whatever.

Its a good way to make sure that you get a new toy at least ONCE a year if nothing else.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#47]
save it and then spend it an gun parts,
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I put whatever I have left at the end of the day in the sorter.
It isn't hard to roll your own when you keep at it.
I can handle the minute a day over coinstars service fee. Though, if they're now offering AMAZON credit with no charge, that sounds cool.

I sort out the statehood coins and roll them seperate. Not with any delusions of getting rich off of collectibility. I just do.

Whatever doesn't make it into the vending machines gets rolled.

I used to always make correct change when paying with cash, now I just pay with bills and stuff the change in my pocket.

I do keep a stash in my vehicles for tolls and sodas from the pit stops.

I've got two thirty cal ammo cans filled with rolled coins. One filled with pennies, and the other with the rest.

Suzie B's and half dollars reside in a cup on my dresser. Do they even sell rolling papers for them? Doesn't matter, I don't have enough to fill one.

Gold dollars I spend.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm an arfkommer....I do both.  

I've always got a bit of change with me, usually less than 50¢. By the time I aquire a heavy pocket full I seperate it. I'll get about $35-$40 for a coffee can (old 3# tin) in pennys. This time I've thrown in nickels too. It's now full. I've to another one almost 1/3rd full of dimes. I'll wait until it's level full to take it to the bank. Can't wait for that day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top