Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:35 AM EDT
No more glasses or contacts!  Doctor says I'm a perfect candidate, and they expect me to have 20/10 or 20/15 vision when done.

I'd like to hear some horror stories, and some success stories relating to LASIK.

(I'm having LASIK, cut done by Intralase, with added CustomView).

M.L.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I can only say that 100% of the people that I personally know that have had the procedure are wearing glasses again after 1 1/2 years.  

That has kept me from spending the cash myself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can only say that 100% of the people that I personally know that have had the procedure are wearing glasses again after 1 1/2 years.  

Heard similar stories
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I agree, LASIK is only temporary, you will eventually be back in glasses, it doesnt mean you will never need to wear glasses ever again like some people think

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Five years and I'm still better than 20/20.
If your personal observation stats were even close to reality, we'd be hearing much, MUCH more about this.

Go in for the evaluation and listen to doctors.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, LASIK is only temporary, you will eventually be back in glasses, it doesnt mean you will never need to wear glasses ever again like some people think

hickmanfamily.us/images/misc/eye_doctor_point_chart_hg_wht.gif

"Eventually" means that your eyes will weaken and you will need glasses to read, like most every other aging person.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Five years and I'm still better than 20/20.
If your personal observation stats were even close to reality, we'd be hearing much, MUCH more about this.

Go in for the evaluation and listen to doctors.

Ditto. My eyes are better than 20/20 and it has been over 3 1/2 years. Lasik has been one of the best things I have done, ever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#8]
After seeing pics of what they do, I would rather wear coke bottles.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I asked my doctor about it...he said "look at me"

I said "what do you mean"

he said "I am still wearing glasses"

Following the discussion that ensued, I decided i could buy an awful lot of contact lenses for the same money as lasik.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Comming up on a year in march and I'm still 20/10
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After seeing pics of what they do, I would rather wear coke bottles.

www.mrcophth.com/mock/mock12/lasik.jpg

That entire procedure took less than a minute for each eye.
I was in and out of the surgical center in 15 minutes.

Man up, for God's sake!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people who have had LASIK have reported positive experiences, even considering unscientific sampling like ARFCOM.

Everybody makes their own decision, but base it on research, not anecdotes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Contrary to some other people (apparently), everyone that I have talked to who have had LASIK have been thoroughly pleased.  It is understood that your eyes will continue to age/degrade at least at the same rate as prior to surgery.  If it's success rate was anything but stellar, do you think the FDA would allow it?

I am told that I will maybe need glasses for detailed reading, in about 10 years which is in-line with normal aging effects.

I've researched this extensively, and am convinced of the safety, reliability, and long-term benefits to LASIK.

Perhaps some of these people with poor experiences either were improperly recommended for LASIK due to their eye conditions?  Not everyone is fully suited for this surgery .

M.L.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The part that really sucks is that I really dont want corrective eye surgery, but the flying jobs that I want to apply for will require it. Im too damn blind uncorrected. I think I will just wait until I cant wait anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I had it in my right eye 4 years ago and I can still see fine.  My only complaint is it takes a little longer to focus on something close if I have been looking at something far away.  I dont even notice that anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Had mine done in December of 2004. Its been alittle over a year and I still have 20/15. Have to say its been one of the best things that I have evr done for myself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Had it almost a year and a half ago.  Went from 20/400 vision(blind as shit) to 20/20.  I love it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally don't know anyone that had a bad Lasik job and they aren't wearing glasses
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#19]
My buddy wore glasses all his life. They looked like damn coke bottles. He had the surgery 4 years ago and still no glasses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah I asked my doctor about it...he said "look at me"

I said "what do you mean"

he said "I am still wearing glasses"

Following the discussion that ensued, I decided i could buy an awful lot of contact lenses for the same money as lasik.

my wifes Doc told her there was no reason she couldn't have it.  Perhaps some eye-docs believe their bread is buttered by people w/ glasses needing yearly exams?  i really don't know what so many concerns are for.  I had Lasik and am happy w/ it 8 months later.  Yes, your eyes will age and you may need reading glasses.  i prefer to be w/o regular glasses, and though I am old enough to wear reading glasses, i very rarely do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]
It's been almost 5 years for me, and no glasses.  20/15.

Lasik is for nearsightedness.  It won't fix the need for reading glasses later on, your eyes still degrade.

The only question is whether you will get lasik and need reading glasses, or not get it and need to wear bifocals all the time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I got it about 5 years ago. The $1500 price tag has more than paid for not having to buy contacts or glasses at all.

Still at 20/20 & no problems.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Just don't let this guy do your surgery.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I want to do it. I'm going to appropriate the money in my Flex medical account this year. I hate wearing contacts and I refuse to wear glasses. I go without wearing either most of the time, though I want to get back in the habit of wearing contacts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Friend of mine was told the same thing. Had it a couple of years ago after a lifetime of thick glasses. Unfortunately, his condition has regressed and he again has to wear glasses albeit weak ones. He was now told this sometimes happens. He said it is still worth it, considering where he was then and where he is now in terms of vision. He still gets the night halos, too.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Friend of mine was told the same thing. Had it a couple of years ago after a lifetime of thick glasses. Unfortunately, his condition has regressed and he again has to wear glasses albeit weak ones. He was now told this sometimes happens. He said it is still worth it, considering where he was then and where he is now in terms of vision. He still gets the night halos, too.
FWIW
YMMV

I was one of those 20/400 guys who suffered with glasses, particularly during my military career.  LASIK brought me to 20/15 the week after and, like so many people, I confidently say "It's the best money I've ever spent."

Yes, even if i regressed to 20/40 or such, I'd consider it an outstanding success.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I personally don't know anyone that had a bad Lasik job and they aren't wearing glasses

+1 on that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I was told the same thing about being a perfect candidate for LASIK.  

I had it done in early December, taking me from legally blind (hell I couldn't even see the big E at the top of the chart) to 20/10 in both eyes.  

I had the halos around lights at night for a while but they are definitely getting better/going away.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No more glasses or contacts!  Doctor says I'm a perfect candidate, and they expect me to have 20/10 or 20/15 vision when done.

I'd like to hear some horror stories, and some success stories relating to LASIK.

(I'm having LASIK, cut done by Intralase, with added CustomView).

M.L.

... I'm using your thread here to minimize starting another that's related.

... My question is simply this. Is there a "market value" on this type of procedure?

... Considering it myself, but not sure how to "shop" for pricing.

... What would one expect top pay assuming no astigmatism?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]
WinstonWolf,

At least with my doctor, I don't think it mattered whether or not I had astigmatism.  He gets $1,700/eye, period.

BTW, I am still loving my newfound freedom.  I do still catch myself reaching up to take off my glasses before bed sometimes though.  

Oh and the halos are now completely gone.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine was done 15 months ago. I went from 20/600 to 20/15. Best $3k I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Had mine done in December 2003 and I still have 20/15.  Best thing I ever did.  In fact I know three fiends I all shoot with who had it done between 3-5 years ago with no issues.   I guess it depends on how old you are when you get the procedure.  Man is it fun to shoot 8 inch plates at 300 yards with iron sihts
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Everyone I know that had it loves it.  The doc said that there was a good chance I'd need reading glasses eventually, but that is only because my nearsightedness would be gone and many people that are not nearsighted eventually need reading glasses.  Even if I do eventually need glasses again, I could care less, because right now I simply cannot function without contacts or glasses (my eyes are horrid).  I can't wait until I'm old enough and have enough cash for the procedure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
hope all goes ok.  been two years since mine.  Now eyes are right back were I started.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends how old you are too.  Nearsightedness pretty much stops by 40, then the close up vision starts to go  Did mine almost 6 years ago and went from 20/400 or worse to 20/20.  My doctor told me the older you are, the better the chances of it lasting.  Best 4K I ever spent.  I've noticed my close up is fading a bit but I wouldn't swap for the world.  Renewed my license this year and for the first time in my life, it was without a corrective lens requirement.  The guy at the DMV couldn't believe it and I couldn't get away with just reading the chart on the wall; had to look in a machine like the eye-doctors use.  Great feeling.  BUT... the surgery was scary and I would advise all drugs they offer.  I don't like drugs and settled for valium.  They numb your eyes so it's not painful, just sucking it up, heart pounding scary.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top