Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:07:58 AM EDT
It was about 6:00 last night, and I was just about to sit the kids down to dinner.  My wife had to work late, so it was just me and the two hooligans in the house.  Suddenly, the doorbell rang.  I was expecting no company, so I first checked the front window and saw a Ford Explorer in the driveway.  It looked like my brother-in-law's car, but I wasn't expecting him to stop by.  When I looked out, I couldn't see anyone standing in front of the door.  So I opened the door, thinking that maybe someone had dropped off a package or something.  My bro-in-law was standing just to the right of the door.  He kind of laughed and said, "I was going to jump out and scare you!"    

I said, "You know better than that!" and showed him the .45 in my right hand.  He turned very white and swallowed a couple of times.  He then said, "You know, I just got the idea thinking that Kristin [my wife] would answer the door, and then I thought about you having a gun and that's why I didn't jump out!"  I told him he was learning fast, but not to worry because I would always identify my target and then shoot (not that identifying an in-law would necessarily prevent a shooting). He said next time he'd call first, and then show up.  

Then we went inside and I made omelettes.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You should have drawn down on him anyway and forced HIM to make the omelettes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
and some toast!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A thinking man.  You would do well in a crisis.

G
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
(not that identifying an in-law would necessarily prevent a shooting).

That's a good one!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Your BIL needs to pack a clean pair of pants in his Explorer.

My non-shooting friends always say to me: "if the SHTF, we are coming over to your house!"

Me:  "Make sure I can see who you are as you approach".

Them:
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is an unfortunate fact that no one in my wife's family (including my wife) is capable of producing edible food.  

Well, I guess that's not true.  My wife can bake, but she can't cook.  Luckily I am master of all things within the kitchen, and a god of the barbecue grill.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone knows to call ahead when they come to my place. My windows do not prevent observation of the front patio so I answer the door with a .45 in hand during the day, a 590A1 at night.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Does the .45 only have day bullets?

G
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does the .45 only have day bullets?

G

IIRC, home invasions occur more in hours of darkness than in daylight. And most everyone realizes that in my area, knocking on a door at night will bring the home owner with a weapon, while they dont expect to see a gun during the day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Once upon a time my brother didn't call or show up when he was supposed to, which was not his style at all.  There was also some other shit going on which led me to believe he might be in trouble.  When I got to his house (which was up in the mountains and fairly remote) I saw that his car was there but no lights were on.  Rather than use my key and go in looking for him, I knocked on the door FROM BESIDE THE DOOR JAMB.  He didn't answer.  When I finally opened the door with my key, I shoved it open and fucking got out of the way of the opening, and called his name.  Which is a good thing, because although I'm sure he wouldn't have shot me, the thought of having a loaded shotgun pointed at me doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy.  As it turns out, he was fine, but when he came to the door he showed me his old faithful shotty, which he said had been pointed at the door the whole time he was approaching it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top