Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:47:06 AM EDT
Just looking through my bookshelves and saw a book entitled "The War In 2020" by Ralph Peters. I read this what seems a million years ago and from what i can recall it is about a war between Russia and Islamic troops armed with super high tech Japanese weaponry. This seems almost right in my idea of the future except i see China making a play for some land in the russian siberian area for minerals and other commodities.

It's just a natural process when a nation gets powerful that they need to expand and it's only a matter of time before China seeks to do so. I could see a potential colloboration with the Islamic nations like Iran and Pakistan who can be swayed to a nation like China that isnt christian and who doesnt mind giving them weapons to kee our troops busy. It is inevitable we will duke it out with China within the next 50 years. This is my very basic take on where i think it will play out. To recap:

China rolls into Siberia. Russia asks for aid. We're tied up in the middle east with the Islamic Fascists. Perhaps the Russians can get EU help??? Maybe the UN??? (joking there)
I see us having to either leave and then return to Korea soon. Either we return to help repel a NKPA deluge or we help them wipe one up.

That's me prophecising for now. I would like to hear from armchair general ideas on this stuff. I am fascinated by what may be up ahead.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno about the world in another 14 years, but I am pretty sure that China will have to be dealt with at some point. My Grandfather seems to think there are biblical references to the USA and Russia joining together and defeating her, so who knows?

Dave
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother will be a Captain in the Navy.  That will be cool.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Beijing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#4]

...biblical references to the USA and Russia joining together...

You grandad is probably right. I recall a passage about an army of ten million and my dad said that it would likely be China even though the country/population is not specified in the scripture.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
dont know if its the 24hr news, the mass media or what ; but the world only seems to be getting worse. If Iran doesnt start something N. Korea or China will.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
If more spending gets cut.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Were not spending enough to be ready for the coming battle. China has been very open on their future intensions of going to war with us and how they are going to destroy this country.

Well if the Dems take over again..    Were screwed..

Currently they are destroying any and all Republicans from local to federal level position.. The Republican Party is not fighting back.

Excuse me while I send a personal message to the Republican Party at all levels..

----ATTENTION REPUBLICAN PARTY----

FREAKEN COWARDS.. GET OFF YOUR FREAKEN DUFFS.. CRUSH THE DEMS AT THEIR OWN GAME..

If the Replicans can't fight back and destroy the Dems at their own game, we will never be ready for the war against China, North Korea, Syria, and Iran.

If you don't believe me, watch the Judge Samual Alito Confirmation Hearing(TRIAL)..

Yes.. I call it a trial.. He is falsely accused, attacked, and damaged by the Dems. The press echo the lies, and the Republicans aren't being openly vocal by challanging those Dems as they make the allegations about Alito and the President.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Out of Dixie
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]

My Grandfather seems to think there are biblical references to the USA and Russia joining together and defeating her, so who knows?

My Dad says the same thing too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It will depend on the foreign policy of  President Barak Obama I guess, once he gets elected after being Hillary's VP for 8 years
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Clancy's "The Bear and The Dragon" is about this, although it gets headed off before a major war is started.

in 2020? I can't say where they'll be in 2010!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dunno about the world in another 14 years, but I am pretty sure that China will have to be dealt with at some point. My Grandfather seems to think there are biblical references to the USA and Russia joining together and defeating her, so who knows?

Dave

Even though i don't trust those ruskies one bit, i could see us fighting together against China.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Blue berets for everyone...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Robots fighting on the moon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Still smacking the ant hill with a stick in the middle east...  If we arent still there in a decade, then we will be going back to fix what we didnt do correctly this time.

I think China will just eclipse us, no conflict.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
If current trends in politics continue. What United States are refering to? There is no longer a country by that name.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
10mm pulse-rifles and a robot army!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You grandad is probably right. I recall a passage about an army of ten million and my dad said that it would likely be China even though the country/population is not specified in the scripture.

In Revelation there is a reference to an army of 200 million coming from the east.

I read an article a couple years ago that said the Chinese bragged about being able to field 200 million when they call up the reserves and round up conscripts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Out of Dixie

Fuckin' A man, fuckin' a
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Revelation there is a reference to an army of 200 million coming from the east.

I read an article a couple years ago that said the Chinese bragged about being able to field 200 million when they call up the reserves and round up conscripts.

For real? WOW.

That is scary.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Seen the movie On the Beach?  That is what will happen if the US and China go to war.  In summary, everyone will be fucked.  I believe the Chinese leaders are far more irrational than any of the Soviets ever were.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Seen the movie On the Beach?  That is what will happen if the US and China go to war.  In summary, everyone will be fucked.  I believe the Chinese leaders are far more irrational than any of the Soviets ever were.

Um, not really. There country is maintaining a amazing level of growth, and their cities are ridiculously safe and modern (to attract foreign direct investment). The Chinese government, aside from being a bit brutal in their treatment to domestic "threats" have actually been very rational and benign.

I'm studied the taiwan strait extensively and also studided chinese in Taiwan. I seriously doubt that there will ever be war between the USA and China. Looking into the flow of money, the two countries are heavily interdependent. China is NOT the next "big bad communist wolf" to step in to take russia's shoes. The biggest thing that annoys me however, is their blatant want to spy and adapt American weapons technology. But that's everyone in the world! Most analysts guesstimate that Israel actually has the largest amount of spies in our country, and they are supposed to be our friends!

Superficial similiarities to the cold war aside, our relationship with China is completely different.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
AP Press Release - July th, 2020 - New East America

Headline: Middle East Paving Project Completed.

Not since the celebration at Promontory Point for the transcontinental railroad has an engineering feat been so reveared. It was only ten years ago when the project to completely pave over the middle east was started. As the Army Corp of Engineers  filled in the last 10' x 10' section of cement, there were cheers and champange all around.

President Hannity commented, "After the Nuclear bombs, the world thought this would be a waste land for the next 100 years. But only ten years later, the entire area is covered with 100 feet of concreate, safe from radiation, and the oil and natural gas reserves are operating at 200% above their pre-war rate."

Dale Earnhart JR was on hand too, making  a speech and showing off for the crowd. NASCAR's first race of the season will now be the "New Eastern 2000". The longset race in NASCAR History will be held at the new Petty Raceway, which is 12 times larger than the track at Talledega Florida.

"We need to thank the troops who secured and built this raceway. They did a great job and one that i am sure the whole world will appreciate."

While the Pentagon said  there will be a mild troop reduction in New East, the over all force detatchment will stay strong enough to protect our interests.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not since the celebration at Promontory Point for the transcontinental railroad has an engineering feat been so reveared. It was only ten years ago when the project to completely pave over the middle east was started. As the Army Corp of Engineers  filled in the last 10' x 10' section of cement, there were cheers and champange all around.

President Hannity commented, "After the Nuclear bombs, the world thought this would be a waste land for the next 100 years. But only ten years later, the entire area is covered with 100 feet of concreate, safe from radiation, and the oil and natural gas reserves are operating at 200% above their pre-war rate."

Dale Earnhart JR was on hand too, making  a speech and showing off for the crowd. NASCAR's first race of the season will now be the "New Eastern 2000". The longset race in NASCAR History will be held at the new Petty Raceway, which is 12 times larger than the track at Talledega Florida.

"We need to thank the troops who secured and built this raceway. They did a great job and one that i am sure the whole world will appreciate."

While the Pentagon said  there will be a mild troop reduction in New East, the over all force detatchment will stay strong enough to protect our interests.

Ain't the future bright?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Your kidding right?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Either rockets and drones,
Or sticks and stones.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the military will be much quicker at getting technological advances down to the individual Soldier by then, unlike even 5 or 6 years ago when any military equipment was  a generation behind what was being sold commercially. I think most if not all of the weapons systems will be replaced by then, and there will be a much higher reliance on technology than we have even now. Retrospective shows on the History channel in 2020 about GW1 and GW2 will make those wars seem quaint by 20202 standards......but hey, I'll be retired out of the military for 10 years by then.....so I wont see any of it.

I suspect by 2020 you'll see some Asian countries really flexing their muscles trying to claim international political and military superiority for themselves. Might make for some intense conflicts in places.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#28]
The Mayan calender ends somewhere in 2012.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And the Bible thumpers were all  in a frenzy back in 1000 AD , convinced that Jesus was coming back in the clouds. We're all still here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Um, not really. There country is maintaining a amazing level of growth, and their cities are ridiculously safe and modern (to attract foreign direct investment). The Chinese government, aside from being a bit brutal in their treatment to domestic "threats" have actually been very rational and benign.

I'm studied the taiwan strait extensively and also studided chinese in Taiwan. I seriously doubt that there will ever be war between the USA and China. Looking into the flow of money, the two countries are heavily interdependent. China is NOT the next "big bad communist wolf" to step in to take russia's shoes. The biggest thing that annoys me however, is their blatant want to spy and adapt American weapons technology. But that's everyone in the world! Most analysts guesstimate that Israel actually has the largest amount of spies in our country, and they are supposed to be our friends!

Superficial similiarities to the cold war aside, our relationship with China is completely different.

Is it just me, or do you have a boner for all Asian countries and governments?

The Chinese gov't is anything but benign.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the Bible thumpers were all  in a frenzy back in 1000 AD , convinced that Jesus was coming back in the clouds. We're all still here.

tc556guy, I thought you said you went to church.

Do you believe in the bible? Or just go to check out the chicks?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Il be retired so it wont matter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#33]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i didnt know better i would send this to the FBI for them to open a case on you.I guess we just ignore all the many remarks made by all the many top ranking civilian and military chicoms going off about how they will one day destroy us in battle,etc etc?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And in 1999, and in 2000, and every time some natural disaster happens (which oddly enough, occurs naturally, hmm... ).  They remind me of the crazy catholics in Latin America that get in a tizzy every time a pigeon craps near the tear duct of a virgin mary statue.  

And it seems like some people always need a boogeyman,  First it was the Russians that were gonna destroy us all, then it was the the Japanese.  Then failing that, now it's the Chinese.  Jesus what a bunch of xenophobes.  "but.. but... they called us bad names. Why don't you hate them??  I'm gonna report you to the FBI!"     Cripes, I can only image what ARFCOM was like back during the millenium.  

I'm not saying there's not a threat, I'm saying the threat is not what it's drummed up to be.  The red scare was not what it was portrayed to be when it was fed to us.  Trade with Japan was not going to crash our economy like the right wing dolts said it would in the 80s.  Similarly, the Chinese threat is not what these same dolts are drumming it up to be.  The worse thing that could happen is everyone in the country drinks the kool aid and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, that could happen with any perceived threat.

And finally you got my favorite, the people that cite the bible for prophecies.  Imagine that, write a bunch of vague prophecies, wait 2000 years, and some of them sound like they might come true! What are the chances??!!   God has spoken to us!  It's just like after 9/11, we had all the Nostradamus idiots saying it was prophesied.  What wasn't bogus turned out to be prophesies that could have been attributed to any number of major events over the past thousand years.  I'm sure if I dig through these texts long enough, I would have found one that prophesied the color of the turd I shat this morning.  Freakin a, get a grip people.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't go anywhere near as often as I did growing up, only around the major holidays now. I am not  a believer myself; too many things wrong with the religion to list here, IMHO.

And my original comment was simply relating a historical fact; back at 1000 AD, a lot of believers were ina frenzy, thinking that the numerical of the millenium had some significance as far as the Second Coming . Of course, it did not. Someone else has since posted  a great comment in this thread about how religious folks see some great portent in every world event. The one I was hearing as  a kid was thet the Second Coming was any day now, because it was going to occur during the lifetimes of those who were around to see Israel reborn in 1948. I suppose that one will be good for another couple or maybe even three  of decades of wishful thinking by the true believers before the last of the folks alive then are gone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#36]
By 2020 the US military will be able to tap into every enemy weapon system and cause it to launch prematurely and/or turn around and hit the enemy. Electronic warfare at the hands of mischeivous grunts!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't go anywhere near as often as I did growing up, only around the major holidays now. I am not  a believer myself; too many things wrong with the religion to list here, IMHO.

And my original comment was simply relating a historical fact; back at 1000 AD, a lot of believers were ina frenzy, thinking that the numerical of the millenium had some significance as far as the Second Coming . Of course, it did not. Someone else has since posted  a great comment in this thread about how religious folks see some great portent in every world event. The one I was hearing as  a kid was thet the Second Coming was any day now, because it was going to occur during the lifetimes of those who were around to see Israel reborn in 1948. I suppose that one will be good for another couple or maybe even three  of decades of wishful thinking by the true believers before the last of the folks alive then are gone.

Then why do you go at all? I am not saying you are hypocritical or something, but if you don't believe at all, then why end up in a church? And more important, how do you feel while you are there? Uncomfortable? Happy?

I am going to enlighten you on a couple of things. First, Jesus and the faith that he died for our sins if we accept him, doesn't have ANYTHING to do with religion. Religion is man made, but it serves a purpose. Just like the Mosques, churches are a way to get the word out. I have gone through a great deal of trouble with my opinion of people that run churches, but I have faith and know deep in my heart, that my belief in Christ is a sound one. As for churches, every person on this planet isn't perfect and if you find a good church where you feel welcome and you don't see a bunch of real oddities, then you've done well. But you have to separate your faith from religion, because the devil will work through people in religion. But he can't work through your faith.

And, people CAN'T know the hour of the second coming. Even Jesus said he doesn't know. Only the father. People have been going off about the second coming of Christ ever since he died. However, they aren't using his quotes, nor are they using the bible as a reference. First, he did say, that when Israel becomes a nation once more...THAT generation will not pass before Christ comes back to earth. The issue of Israel coming back together DID happen in 1948. So by just that statement, that's a pretty good "indication", that something is up. The question is, what does he mean by a generation? 100 years? 120 years? Noah's generation that was 900 years or so? BUT! for the FIRST time in recorded history, we have the technology to actually have bible prophesy come to life. I am not talking about the 10 headed monster. But the ability to have complete control over every human being over the face of the earth. We DON'T have the infrasturcture to do it right now, but we DO have the technology. GPS tracking, the veri-chip, where you could control buying and selling by going to a cashless world where you have ALL of your information in the chip of your hand and by the swipe of that chip, you can access your finanical accounts, medical records, etc. We NOW have the ability to wipe humans off the face of the earth with nukes...eye's being melted in their sockets. The middle east has come to a point where they are just not a bunch of sand farmers, but now COULD come to rule the world with their control of the oil and with the increase of their ability to use technology. China's gaining military and technological strength that it IS possible, that they could field a 200 million man army against Israel. AND Israel does seem to have a way of pissing off most of the world by just being a nation and nothing more.

NO one knows the time or hour, but the base signs of the technology it's going to take to complete bible prophesy is here. And that's a FACT. Like I said, the infrastructure is not there, but the technology, for the FIRST time in history, is.

People like to jump to conclusions, make stuff up and go to the extreme and by discounting these facts, people are just thinking with their emotions instead of their brains. And if you don't believe, that's your choice...you DO have free choice on your destiny. Even God recognizes that. But, try not to lump ALL believers of the faith of Christ with a bunch of people with opinions based on emotion and nothting else. Christ is good, religion can pervert the teachings of Christ. You just have to know the difference and have faith that God will show you the difference.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Then why do you go at all? I am not saying you are hypocritical or something, but if you don't believe at all, then why end up in a church?

Seasonal observations.

And more important, how do you feel while you are there? Uncomfortable? Happy?

All I can say in that regard is that Catholicism is like Christianity Lite compared to the Baptist sermons of my youth.

I am going to enlighten you on a couple of things. First, Jesus and the faith that he died for our sins if we accept him, doesn't have ANYTHING to do with religion.

The worship of those figures constitutes the basic structure of Christian faith. You can argue all you want about what is or is not religion, but it doesn't get any more basic than that.

People like to jump to conclusions, make stuff up and go to the extreme and by discounting these facts, people are just thinking with their emotions instead of their brains. And if you don't believe, that's your choice...you DO have free choice on your destiny. Even God recognizes that. But, try not to lump ALL believers of the faith of Christ with a bunch of people with opinions based on emotion and nothting else. Christ is good, religion can pervert the teachings of Christ. You just have to know the difference and have faith that God will show you the difference.

You are welcome to believe whatever you like. I honestly do not see any difference between Christianity and any other structured worship of supreme beings that has taken place in recorded time, by any culture. Its all about trying to explain the unexplainable and placing ourselves inside the context of why are we here and whats our place in the universe. Every religions main purpose is essentially to answer those questions, they all do it in different ways.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then why do you go at all? I am not saying you are hypocritical or something, but if you don't believe at all, then why end up in a church?

Seasonal observations. Ok, thanks for the answer.

And more important, how do you feel while you are there? Uncomfortable? Happy?

All I can say in that regard is that Catholicism is like Christianity Lite compared to the Baptist sermons of my youth.

My wifes Catholic and I know what you mean. My church was a bit more aggressive during the sermons when I was a kid too.

I am going to enlighten you on a couple of things. First, Jesus and the faith that he died for our sins if we accept him, doesn't have ANYTHING to do with religion.

The worship of those figures constitutes the basic structure of Christian faith. You can argue all you want about what is or is not religion, but it doesn't get any more basic than that.

Yes, and no. You don't "worship" Christ, you "accept" him and "accept" that he died for your sins. If you just worship him, that isn't the answer that will satisfy him on judgement day. That's what the bible says. You may lump worshiping something or someone with faith. But I see them and was taught differently. Sure, when I get to the next life, I will worship the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I should, because my life belongs to them. God gave me life, so I want to say thank you for that. And that worship will be part of my thank you.

But I know where you are coming from. Most people can't separate worship and faith. Worship is the respect or reverence to a divine being. You can "worship" God all you want, but if you are a Christian, that's not what will get you into heaven. Faith is to to believe or trust. Totally different in meaning and result. That's where I was going with that. People all the time worship, just about everything. Christians worship Christ. But it's the faith that Christ died for your sins that is different and will grant you the afterlife. You might see worshipping and faith in the same vein, but I don't.

People make the worship up. That's why I said religion is a man made thing. Faith is personal and it's NOT granted by the church. But I know what you are saying.

You are welcome to believe whatever you like. I honestly do not see any difference between Christianity and any other structured worship of supreme beings that has taken place in recorded time, by any culture. Its all about trying to explain the unexplainable and placing ourselves inside the context of why are we here and whats our place in the universe. Every religions main purpose is essentially to answer those questions, they all do it in different ways.

You don't see the difference because you don't believe in one or the other. That's the difference between us. So we differ. I know that people in other religions feel just as strongly about their faith as I do about my faith. And I won't discount their ability to believe in something. But I do see a difference between a faith that, at it's head is a person/being that accepts killing and hate as an ok practice and one that expounds love, no matter what.

But I agree with you that a "religion" has a main purpose is to answer those questions. But just as I have felt love, I have also felt the presence of Christ surrounding me, just as real as when my son stands right next to me. I almost died in 1994 and when I realised that I was about to end this life, I found out that I didn't need any man on this earth to tell me the truth. I FELT the presence of God and I found out that it wasn't my time to leave this place. And I think the only reason I didn't die, my lung had collapsed and I couldn't breathe at all, was the fact that my wanting to do the right thing over ruled my condition. I wanted to be here when my kids grew up and I wanted to make sure they knew me as their dad. I wanted to do the right thing and make sure I taught them well and I felt God saying he had more plans for me. I know it wasn't me that allowed me to breathe again. Just as I could count my fingers, I had air pushed into my body. I didn't have anything to do with it. And you would have to experience what I had happen to understand how powerful it was. That's one of the many reasons, I believe. Just going to church would have never given me that experience and wouldn't have given me such a personal testamony.

But I understand what you are saying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny thing is, there probably weren't that many folks on the planet when that prophecy was made.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html#Military

Manpower available for military service:  
males age 18-49: 342,956,265 (2005 est.)  

Manpower fit for military service:  
males age 18-49: 281,240,272 (2005 est.)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top