Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2001 7:22:50 AM EDT
Los Angeles Times: Navy Man Arrested in Three Sex Attacks

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000064189aug07.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia

THE STATE
Navy Man Arrested in Three Sex Attacks
Crime: The weekend assaults take place in the waterfront tourist enclave of
Coronado near San Diego.
By KEN ELLINGWOOD
TIMES STAFF WRITER

August 7 2001

SAN DIEGO -- A Navy recruit was arrested in connection with three sexual
assaults over the weekend in Coronado, a scenic waterfront enclave of tidy,
tree-shaded streets and very little violent crime, police said.

Airman recruit Cedric L. Tate, 20, of New York was taken into custody late
Sunday night after an attack on a 17-year-old girl near her home, authorities
said. Tate also was charged in two other attacks, including the rape of a
44-year-old woman Saturday.

In the final incident, police arrived after a neighbor heard screams and called
911. Another resident who ran outside discovered the victim was his daughter,
who had been stuffed in her car's trunk, then hauled out and beaten when the
suspect couldn't start the vehicle, said Coronado police spokeswoman Lea Corbin.
The two residents arrived just as police did, Corbin said.

Corbin said the suspect was "hovering" over the girl and told police he was
drawn by the screams.

Tate had been assigned to the Naval Amphibious Base, one of two Navy bases in
Coronado, since July 24 and was to begin training that could have led to his
becoming a Navy SEAL, said Lt. Cmdr. Darryn James, a Navy spokesman. James said
Tate arrived after training in Pensacola, Fla. Coronado police were comparing
notes with Pensacola authorities on unsolved attacks there.

The first assault came at 3 a.m. Saturday when a 17-year-old girl was attacked
at a bay-side marina and campground. As she was being beaten and dragged away,
an off-duty San Diego police officer camping nearby heard screams and came to
her aid, Corbin said. The assailant fled.

Forty-five minutes later, a 44-year-old woman was raped in the parking lot of
the Hotel del Coronado, where she worked in the laundry, authorities said.

About 11 p.m. Sunday, a caller said a man was lurking behind a trash bin in a
residential neighborhood. Police found no one but then were summoned to the
third attack nearby. The three victims were treated and released from hospitals.

Violence is rare in Coronado, which sits near San Diego on a peninsula washed by
a sailboat-specked bay on one side and the Pacific on the other. In summer,
vacationers swell the population to 45,000, nearly twice that of winter. Its
rate of violent crime is the lowest in San Diego County, less than a fifth of
the per-capita rate for the city of San Diego.

Serious crime is not completely unknown, though. In 1993, a Navy ensign,
apparently distraught over a romantic breakup, burst into officers quarters at
the amphibious base and shot to death two fellow servicemen before killing
himself.

For information about reprinting this article, go to
http://www.lats.com/rights/register.htm
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
that would be EX-seal trainee....
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the SEALs aren't looking for boy scouts.  Too bad the guy couldn't channel some of that agreesion into killing the enemy...
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
So what? You are a racist, the only reason you would post it is to prove that you can take a brother out of the hood but it doesn't mean that he won't commit major felonies.  Just another example of the man keeping the black man down![:D]

Damn smilies
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
All SEALS are rapists?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
No, SEALs are testosterone pumped supermen who kill badguys. There are bound to be some bad apples in with the rest of the psychos.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Not that I'm accusing anyone here of doing so, but I don't think it's right to draw any conclusions based on the fact that the guy was a SEAL trainee. There is always 10% in any group who are hangers-on or non-hackers or dirtbags sucking up and riding the hackers' coattails.

Every service and group, no matter how upstanding, has had its pigs and bad examples.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
He never was a Seal, he couldn't even make pre Seal training.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Tate had been assigned to the Naval Amphibious Base, one of two Navy bases in
Coronado, since July 24 and was to begin training that could have led to his
becoming a Navy SEAL,

Seems to me that this guy hadn't even begun SEAL training and to insinuate that he'd have ever been one is an insult. IMHO low-lifes lack the character for completion of any SF type training.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All SEALS are rapists?
View Quote

I was being sarcastic. Sorry, I was just coming down off a rant against the cop bashers on another thread.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy obviously has problems, let him face a military court martial and pay the consequences. If I were one of them Id be all over the government.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I was real sad to see this story. For someone to drag such a prestigious military group into the gutter like this.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Time-Out folks!

Sounds like a typical LA Times bash-fest.

Yup, the guy, if found guilty, should get barbequed.  What I object to is the SEAL reference.  When I was in the Navy, and had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with SEALs, I seem to remember that you had to be rated, and have a bit of rank and time in service, before you went down the BUDS/SEAL path.

"Airman Recruit" is bottom of the barrel, FNG, low man on the totem pole (not counting Ensigns, of course [:)]). No way this guy was on his way to SEALs unless it was in his hopes and dreams. "Yeah, I was gonna be a SEAL" does not equal "...training that could have led to his becoming a SEAL".  Like a high school English class could have led me to becoming a reporter for the LA Times.

Know what I mean?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't heard of any scandals out of the Naval academy lately.  For a while midshipmen were getting busted for all sorts of criminal behavior: car theft rings, drug dealing, cheating, murder.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what? You are a racist, the only reason you would post it is to prove that you can take a brother out of the hood but it doesn't mean that he won't commit major felonies.  Just another example of the man keeping the black man down![:D]
View Quote

Jeez, where the hell did it say he was black ?

Link Posted: 8/7/2001 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, SEALs are testosterone pumped supermen who kill badguys. There are bound to be some bad apples in with the rest of the psychos.
View Quote

No.  SEALs are highly-trained professionals.  Testosterone is the last thing you need in NSW.  Those kinds of people get weeded out fast.  Your little "psychos" don't cut it dude (thumbs down to that reference).

An example class that starts with around 100 students will graduate (on average) about 20-30
in Phase I.  Subsequent phases see more dropouts and rollbacks.  I can't remember the exact class numbers, but one class actually graduated everyone who started, and one graduated nobody.  It varies, but the training program is the most highly developed going both medically and academically.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
SARguy, Imeant no disrespect to the SEALs. My brother in law is Navy Specwar(Special Boat Unit) and he's less high stung than I am. I meant that those organizations attract a lot of wannabe psychos and non-hackers, it's no surprise that there are fruitcakes waiting for a tryout.
Fatman, Don't you think high school english actually hinders your chance of becoming an LA Times reporter? I guess not, as long as you didn't take one of those mind bending civics or government classes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Gunmonkey,

No problem. [;)]

Take care my friend,

-SARguy
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The fact he was a SEAL, wasn't a SEAL, in the military, not in the military doesn't mean crap. An old law professor once said there are 5% of us who are assholes. That 5% has always been with us and will always continue to be with us. They are police, lawyers, doctors, nurses, engineers, truckers -- every profession.

The story is newsworthy, but perhaps the media is really looking for another Tailhook?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't see where it says anything about his actual involvement in the crime(s). He was on-scene at the third one, but so were other people. I was at a gas station once where a guy drove off with a tank full of gas. As I was walking in I smiled and said "hi" to him. He drove off a minute later while I was in the store. Was I in in any way guilty or associated with the crime? No. Was this potential SEAL? I don't see it. Somebodytell me if I'm missing something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top