Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:09:11 PM EDT
Why did you? Failing? Couldnt afford it? Didnt like it? Found something better?

I originally came to school with the mindset that if i didnt like it, i'd stop and join the Marine Corps. In high school, I was going to enlist, but got convinced to go to school, at least try. Well i'm here now, and i'm not having that great of a time. Im not a loner, ive met alot of people and have friends and things to do, and classes are going ok. Im not failing out by any means, but i'm not happy with things.

Im thinking about putting college on hold and enlisting. Not quit school, just come back to it after I have more self-discipline, then go back to school and finish that up and go to OCS or something.

My life so far has been rather boring, all ive ever done is go to school, and i'm just not happy with that. I dont want an 'ordinary' 9-5 job either.

This is obviously a big decision for me, but i honestly feel like I should have enlisted in the first place. Has anyone else put college on hold for other things? How did that work out for you?

I bring this up here, because there's so much experience and military personel on this board I feel like it's the right place since i'm interested in enlisting.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with it, if for no other reason than to show yourself you can.  Jumping out of a plan to soon can be bad sometimes.  Graduate, join the crotch, get the bar, and go LEAD some good young jarheads into battle.  No regrets man.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped out of college the first time cuz I was getting burned out with school.  I went back to school after 4 years in the Air Force last spring semester.  Then, last May, I got a temp job at a satellite communications company.  3 Weeks later I got a permenant job offer.  6 Months after that I get promoted to Field Engineer.  There is no way I could afford to not work now, I really enjoy my job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay in.  I got bored and went back to working full time.  If I could have those years back I would stay in.  The $$$$ and job quality will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Financial reasons. And they sucked.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't afford it, dropped out after a year with a 4.0 GPA.

Finish school if you can, I regret quitting every day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I quit after my sophomore to marry an Army guy and move overseas...  I always thought I'd go back, but it took me over 10 years to do so...  I finally finished my Bachelors while working full time and caring for two kids...  I'm thankful for my mom and SO, who helped me tremendously, but it wasn't easy...

if there's any chance you can suck it up and just finish, do it.  Being an adult means doing some things that aren't always fun or even what you expected them to be...  but if the military is a passion of yours (it's who you are) then go for it...  

sorry for the waffling - I advise everyone to stay in the first time around, but I wouldn't change my path for the world - I got my two kiddos out of it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I will reply as a College chemistry professor, advisor, and dismissal appeals committee member.

In my vast experience, the top reasons why students fail in college are:

(blue collar and work a day types will love this!)

1.  Time management

2.  Lack of respect for the dollars invested in their eduction

3.  General immaturity.

4.  Situations beyond their control, i.e., messed up family situation.

356.  Relative intelligence.

The average   intellect is capable of doing extremely well in the general college curriculum.

When a student fails their dismissal appeal due to low grades, we make them sit out for 1 year. After 1 year,  they may re-appeal for admissions.

Time and time again, students who had to work hard that year, and students with military experience, excel.  Period.

My best chemistry students have included back-to-school moms and retired firemen among many others.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure how becoming an officer works but if your intent on the Marines, I'd major in something that translates well to being in the Corps, and join up after school...I hear the pay is much better that way and it is easier to move up the ranks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats the thing, ive gotten soo burned out. Senior year in highschool i work 2 jobs to afford school, then 3 weeks later started in a summer semester(i applied to the school late), after that finished 3 weeks later fall semester started. That ended, had a month off and am back at it for spring semester. I had job working 30 some odd hours last semester to pay rent. So now, after all that hard work, i'm broke, not happy, and am taking out a school loan to pay rent so I can focus on school.

Then today, i go to check on my loan since i havent heard from them. I applied for a subsidized loan, but didnt get approved, and can only get an un-subsidized loan because i made a certain amount of money last year. So now, my loan wont come in until after rent is due. Gonna have to borrow money probably, and some fuck-offs from pakistan hacked my dads bank account yesterday and stole $1000.

I was not happy with school before all this, and I dont think the stress right now is worth all this.

I need some damned excitement, I feel like ive accomplished nothing in my 19 years, and am thinking about the Marines alot. Ah well, i'll figure things out; always do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, this is Arfcom, do both. Ever hear of the A.N.G. I bet a summer of boot camp will help you make a decision. The way things are right now, they may make the decision for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Im thinking about putting college on hold and enlisting. Not quit school, just come back to it after I have more self-discipline, then go back to school and finish that up and go to OCS or something.

That's exactly what I did.

I started a 5-year Master's degree in engineering right out of high school, and I hated it.  After one semester I dropped out, and then joined the army as soon as I turned 18.  After some years in the army, I left - and THEN went back to university, although this time with a completely different focus than engineering.

If you REALLY aren't sure what you want to do, then wasting your time in college may not be the right choice for you, and a few years in the army might be a great experience.  Maybe you could get into one of the military academies?  That might be a great way to combine the two?

But be warned - there are LOTS of people who join the army, or get a job, intending to go back to college, and then never do.  Stuff can come up - and often does.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't like it. The place was depressing. I took a semester off and I'll be going back this Spring.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
In highschool I was a lube tech at a Ford dealership, and while i was there this guy pat got hired. Fresh out of the Army. He had his shit squared away, did things to the best he could every time, and admired that alot. I want to do it for the self-discipline more than anything. Ive also dreamed of being a soldier since as far back as I can remember.

When I was taking my flight physical for the Marines, the other guy from my office was 24. He was infantry for 4 years, then got out and is in school, on his way to be an officer, and I think thats what I want to do. I think it'd make me a better officer too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
You crazy?

I LOVE college!

I am on the 12 year plan!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thats the thing, ive gotten soo burned out. Senior year in highschool i work 2 jobs to afford school, then 3 weeks later started in a summer semester(i applied to the school late), after that finished 3 weeks later fall semester started. That ended, had a month off and am back at it for spring semester. I had job working 30 some odd hours last semester to pay rent. So now, after all that hard work, i'm broke, not happy, and am taking out a school loan to pay rent so I can focus on school.

Then today, i go to check on my loan since i havent heard from them. I applied for a subsidized loan, but didnt get approved, and can only get an un-subsidized loan because i made a certain amount of money last year. So now, my loan wont come in until after rent is due. Gonna have to borrow money probably, and some fuck-offs from pakistan hacked my dads bank account yesterday and stole $1000.

I was not happy with school before all this, and I dont think the stress right now is worth all this.

I need some damned excitement, I feel like ive accomplished nothing in my 19 years, and am thinking about the Marines alot. Ah well, i'll figure things out; always do.

Tough life. Not.

Suck it up.  Apply yourself.  Stay away from drugs.  You'll be ok.

Be thankful for what you have.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Stay in college. Goto the Marines after.

you're only 19 years old, that's not a lot of time to accomplish something great in your life. Someone tried to break into my house once, and I confronted them with a knife (Didn't have a loaded gun near me at the time) That was quite a bit of excitement, trust me, your not missing anything.

I'm gonna wait untill I graduate college before I join the Marines.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I originally came to school with the mindset that if i didnt like it, i'd stop and join the Marine Corps. In high school, I was going to enlist, but got convinced to go to school, at least try. Well i'm here now, and i'm not having that great of a time. Im not a loner, ive met alot of people and have friends and things to do, and classes are going ok. Im not failing out by any means, but i'm not happy with things.

My life so far has been rather boring, all ive ever done is go to school, and i'm just not happy with that. I dont want an 'ordinary' 9-5 job either.

This is obviously a big decision for me, but i honestly feel like I should have enlisted in the first place. Has anyone else put college on hold for other things? How did that work out for you?

I bring this up here, because there's so much experience and military personel on this board I feel like it's the right place since i'm interested in enlisting.

Join the club.
I'm in the same boat.
I did Marine ROTC for a bit, but it just didn't do anything for me.
Now, I'm biding my time until I graduate next year so I can go be a Fed.
Plans change. Don't stop college now - finish it off.
Once you stop college it is hard to get back on the horse and it severly limits your options.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I could not stand the college I went to, the leftist agenda and the utter lack of educating that went on there made me ill.  My main regret is that it was a place where even I, a person lacking social graces, good looks, or a job, could get laid.  The break down at my college was something like 70% female to 29% male, 1% who knows/don't wanna go there.  If I ever get a divorce, I am going back to school.

HAving a degree gets you places in the corporate world, but it would not have helped me in my aspirations.  A degree does not help if you do not have aspirations either.  I know way to many people that have degrees working for Wal-Mart or florists and crap.  

In the end, I say cover your bases, get the degree, then join up.  If the military ain't for  you, you have a degree to fall back on.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in a unique situation.  I was already making real good money and had a solid in on a career.  College bored me, I was too distracted by my job and girls.

10 years later I'm still doing the same line of work (tech sector) and haven't been unemployed except by choice, ever.

That being said -- I totally freaking lucked out.  Stay in college.  If you drop out you won't go back later.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to college after militaty, had a hard time adjusting to the childish attitudes and whining I was surrounded by. And I must add I wasn't very interested either.
I quit, went to technical school, got a job, got am Associates degree and I am satisfied.
Sure, things would have been easier if I stuck to my original goal in the first place.
Unfortunatly I will probably be forced into completeing my original degree to keep my present job.
I did what I did and enjoyed doing it. I hate school.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Not too long ago, I was in the same predicament.

I just recently left school after completing 2 years.  I've wanted to go into law enforcement as long as I can remember.  I applied for my city dept the second I was eligable (happened to be over spring break of my 4th semester).    Almost a year later I've finished all the tests, etc and am going to the academy in February.  I do no regret the decision AT ALL.  Do what makes you happy.  I realized I was doing what made my parents happy.  I had fun at school, but at the same time I was pretty miserable, bored actually.

Only thing I would warn you about is; joining the Marine Corp is pretty permanent if you get my drift.  Once you're in, your ass is theres.  Keep that in mind.

Good luck on your decision.  

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Stay in school.  It is exponentially harder to get back in once out.  THis can be due to grades, general inertia of your life and money.

Military?  To naval ROTC if you want marines, a half decent GPA will get you some kind of scholarship plus the monthly stipend of a couple a hundred bucks.  Reserves or ANG are a possible route to.

Trust me stay in school and don't fuck up.  I had a major personal problem and I dropped out a few years ago.  By drop out I mean I packed up my shit and left town, like w/o dropping my classes.  The whore I was engaged to turned out to be a whore, wanted to break up and thought it was ok to start dating new people the next week, all the while we lived together.  I didn't handle it well.  I just ejected.  Now imagine 18 hours of F on your transcript.  Add a failing grade here or there in my first few years of school (I attempted engineering at Purdue my freshmen year, not the best for my GPA either)  I've since gone back to a local community college and got 4.0 for three semesters, or 43 hours of A, but my GPA is still only a 2.5 now.  I can't graduate with a 3.0 unless I get those 18 hours of F off my transcript (work in progress).  Currently I'm at a major University again with about a year left of classes

Anyway point is, stay there stay focused and fucking finish.  You don't know when life will fuck you up.  Beg borrow or steal money, but stay in school.  You can enlist and do OCS once you have your degree.

Life will NOT get easier.  It is NOT easier to go back to school.  It is harder and more expensive.

Stay in school.  Yes it can be a drag, you get bogged down and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but stick it out.  It is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Stay in school.  It is exponentially harder to get back in once out.  THis can be due to grades, general inertia of your life and money.

Yep, stay in. Otherwise you'll end up an old man deviod of wisdom, who is still saying things like the god of Islam and of Christianity is the same.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, stay in. Otherwise you'll end up an old man deviod of wisdom, who is still saying things like the god of Islam and of Christianity is the same.

Haha

I don't have time for this shit
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I dropped out to make 60K per year.
Of course that job is history
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Stay in college now.  Show you can make it through college, then show your stuff in the USMC (or USA isn't bad either).  I would advise joining the Cross Country or Track team if you want to do anything that requires a lot of extra endurance. Having a greater VO2max can really help in certain areas.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay in college now.  Show you can make it through college, then show your stuff in the USMC (or USA isn't bad either).  I would advise joining the Cross Country or Track team if you want to do anything that requires a lot of extra endurance. Having a greater VO2max can really help in certain areas.

-Ben

Im actually on my way to OCS for this summer. And im setting up a personal PT schedule with the Lt.'s from my OSO office. Im just having a hard time deciding what it is I want to do with my life. Lots of stress over this OCS decision(air or ground). Then school, paying for it, and wanting to get away from family problems.

Ive been kicking my ass, pt'ing myself to get ready for OCS and the working out more than just gym stuff is helping me deal. School is just burning me out and i feel bogged down. Ill just have the USMC Lt.'s PT my ass into the ground to clear my mind
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Trust me, Marines are marines, and soldiers are soldiers.  They don't generally know shit about getting you in shape compared to a college track coach.  I guarentee if you go to your colleges coach and tell him your situation, and that you want to train for Decathalon, you will be made into an incredible PT DemiGod.  I know this, for I am THE PT demi God.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Trust me, Marines are marines, and soldiers are soldiers.  They don't generally know shit about getting you in shape compared to a college track coach.  I guarentee if you go to your colleges coach and tell him your situation, and that you want to train for Decathalon, you will be made into an incredible PT DemiGod.  I know this, for I am THE PT demi God.  

-Ben

Could you PM me a general workout?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]
let me give you my experience/thoughts as a guy who will be graduating in may.  i hit that exact same point in my sophmore year and stayed in school.  i felt like i had accomplished nothing and that college was going nowhere.  i started school with a plan to enter the aviation industry as a pilot and the 9/11 yanked the rug out from under that entire industry- it's still a fence fuck.  so- i'm gonna graduate in may as a certified aircraft mechanic, just in time to compete with all these old, seasoned, experienced guys that the major airlines just let go- i lose.

so here's what i think- i'm not giving you advice, i am still figuring all this out.  but i think that college is great if you have a goal you're working towards.  i've found it frustrating because i have yet to find a major that really does it for me.  at the same time, life would be VERY different if i had joined the military.  so now that graduation is approaching and i will more than likely be unable to find a job in my career field i am trying to figure out a way to stay in school- seems like my time would be better spent on education.

that doesn't really seem all that great either as i still don't have any goals.  it's been really frustrating.  i'm back to the point that i should've been at my senior year in hs- figuring out what i want to do.  i bounce between plans so often that nobody can keep up- it sucks.  

so basically just consider what you're working towards.  and if you're a prayerfull kinda guy then this is a good thing to be praying about.  just remember that once you sign there's no going back.  

best of luck man.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on sticking with it

I was in your boat about 2-3 years ago except was thinking of enlisting Army.  Joined the Army rotc and am graduating in May.  Then its off to OBC and life as a MP in the National Guard.  Stick with school man, you will not regret it.  I've had buddies go the route you were looking at and they are regretting dropping out.

Good luck to you man, whatever you do, do your damn best at it, no regrets!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I was majoring in fraternity and going to classes sometimes.  I had a GPA to rival some people in Animal House.  It just wasn't my time.

I dropped out, went to the Army, and now I take classes part-time and work full-time.  If I had it to do all over again, I'd go all the way through and get the degree, but hindsight is 20/20.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Drop out.  Less job competition for soon to be college grads like me
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Could you PM me a general workout?

As a (now) track coach and athlete both, I cannot do that as much as I would like to help.  Sending you a workout would not be fair as I don't "know" you, I have not seen you run, or beat your face, or lift weights.  So I have no way to accurately judge what you would need, and how to periodize your program.  Like I said, talk to your local track coach and tell him you would like to train as a multi event athlete.  That will mean you run somedays, throw stuff some days, and spend a lot of time in the weight room.  It will also get you an extra credit this semester at most colleges just for being on the team.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Atleast you made it to college!  I didn't.  Graduated HS and started my own biz.  Year and a half later i am still in business.  College ain't for anyone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#37]
On the topic of PT, here's how to max pull-ups. As I said in your last thread, pull-ups NEED to be maxed out. I started off doing 2 overhand (palms facing wall) pull-ups, and am at 20 now. Do pyramids of pull-ups and push-ups, and work your way down. 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, rest 1 min. Do that 5 sets. Then, 4 pull-ups, 8 push-ups, 4 sets. 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups, 3 sets. You get the idea. Rest 1 min between every set. If you still have strength after finishing, start back up until you miss a set.Do this every other day (Mon-Wed-Fri) and you'll see VAST improvement. It worked for me, but you have to put the effort into it to get the results you want. If you can't do the 5's, just modify the #'s. For crunches, just do alot of crunches. 100 in 2 min is cake. The run I can't help you with, that's not my strong area.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I dropped out after 3 semesters, I was more concerned with partying and girls than class, as well as being burned out on school.  I lost the dad scholarship, and started working.  I got a 60k a year job that I lost in 6 months, and I continued working in other unsatisfying IT jobs, got married, but haven't had kids yet.

Fast forward 8 years, I am starting my second semester back.  I changed majors coming back in, and I can't believe I screwed up so hardcore the 1st time around.

The lack of kids is probably the only way I could have gone back.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I can't believe I screwed up so hardcore the 1st time around.

I hear you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
STAY IN SCHOOL.

Life is what you make of it.  Sounds corny, but it's absolutely true.

Whatever feelings you have in college, you'll have anywhere else you go.

Give it another few semesters.

Otherwise, you'll drop out and either

a. never go back

b. go back at great difficulty, studing at night while your wife and kids sleep.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Stay in school. If you think things are boring now. It'll only be worse when you go back in the future and you will find your attention span and threshold for B.S. will be a lot lower.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#42]
First off, all good points guys, thanks! Just got back from the gym and 4 miles on my bike. Feel better.

On my ride, i got to think about alot of things. I figure i'll go to OCS this summer, and that'll give me a taste of the Marine Corps before I enlist to see if I like that before I do anything, seems like the best idea to me.

As for all the BS, I can barely stand it now, and cant imagine being around people my age when im in my early/mid 20's.

Quoted:
On the topic of PT, here's how to max pull-ups. As I said in your last thread, pull-ups NEED to be maxed out. I started off doing 2 overhand (palms facing wall) pull-ups, and am at 20 now. Do pyramids of pull-ups and push-ups, and work your way down. 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, rest 1 min. Do that 5 sets. Then, 4 pull-ups, 8 push-ups, 4 sets. 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups, 3 sets. You get the idea. Rest 1 min between every set. If you still have strength after finishing, start back up until you miss a set.Do this every other day (Mon-Wed-Fri) and you'll see VAST improvement. It worked for me, but you have to put the effort into it to get the results you want. If you can't do the 5's, just modify the #'s. For crunches, just do alot of crunches. 100 in 2 min is cake. The run I can't help you with, that's not my strong area.

Im gonna do that. Thanks for the basic setup of your schedule, I got on the pull-up bar yesterday for the first time in a loong time and did 8, so i'm just about half-way there. But I know I have a long way to go and am working to meet all the OCS req's. It's not easy by any means, I'm just damned glad I've been going to the gym rather steadily, most of the time 3-5 days a week for the last year otherwise I dont think i'd be able to make the demands by summer time. I believe i'm to go in May, so i got to step it up a notch, but it wont be impossible considering the level i'm at now i guess im saying.

I think im gonna do what i did in highschool and buckle down and get my shit done. Luckily ive got a gf(who is a senior ) to keep me in-line.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I should tell you to stay in school.

However, I will tell you to do what you want.

I hated college. It was the biggest waste of time and money I have yet had in my life. You truly do not learn much (most BA degrees), and you just keep liberal professors employed. Hell, the most sucessful people I know didnt even go to college...

That being said, if you want to be an officer, stick it out. You need a degree.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Dropped out to get a tech job - back in '98.

Bubble burst, kept my job, got promoted to Director of Technology, and now make a nice paycheck, run a major technology department (thousands of PC's and laptops over 10 locations), make decisions that affect several thousand public school children in both technology and curriculum, manage 8 people, and manage a $600,000 budget.

I don't regret dropping out in my junior year. I'm doing what I love.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Believe me, if I could do it - anyone can.  I had to work 32 to 48 hours a week to pay for school, living expenses, etc.  Because I had to work that many hours, most quarters I attended as a part time student.  It took me six years to get my degree, but I did it.  All through college, I worked in a 24 hour grocery store.  If I had classes during the day, I worked nights or graveyard.  And if I had classes at night, then I worked graveyard or days.  And when I could work it in, I built and roadraced motorcycles for four of those years.

I too thought about stopping, but I knew that if I did, I would never go back.  I just wasn't disciplined enough.  The funny part is that after doing all of that, it instilled discipline in me - and when I got out into the working world, I felt that there was no job that I couldn't learn or do.

Another thing to remember - many government jobs require a college degree.  A degree does not prove that you are the most qualified or best candidate for the job.  But it does show the interviewers that you possess some discipline and a capacity to learn/problem solve.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quit school after about 3.5 years worth of credits for work. I wanted money.

Some 9 or so years later, I've now bounced into that "Glass cieling", more or less..I've pretty much gone as far as I can here without some sort of paper. Not without either getting horribly lucky or really brown-nosing. Even then there's still a cieling where you just don't get taken seriously without at least a history degree.

So, yah...plans are to go back to school. Finish up the 15 or so credits I need, if my previous ones are still good.

Never mind that I still don't know what I wanna do when I grow up...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quit school after about 3.5 years worth of credits for work. I wanted money.

Some 9 or so years later, I've now bounced into that "Glass cieling", more or less..I've pretty much gone as far as I can here without some sort of paper. Not without either getting horribly lucky or really brown-nosing. Even then there's still a cieling where you just don't get taken seriously without at least a history degree.

So, yah...plans are to go back to school. Finish up the 15 or so credits I need, if my previous ones are still good.

Never mind that I still don't know what I wanna do when I grow up...

Many science credits and similar are not good after 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Late me know when you hear if you're going or not. I'm shipping out May 28th pending acceptance. Get above a 250 PFT and you're in good shape. PFT score is the #1 factor in deciding acceptance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#49]
If you can finish, finish!

I dropped out after a few semesters because of burnout. I just could not handle all the classes anymore..my head hurt.

But,that drop out lead me to my current profession-professional fine dining chef. I don't get paid as much as I would if I would have finished college, but I don't care.

I do what I love, and I don't hate my life. I like going to work and I never work for my weekends.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#50]
haha, i went through 4 and a half years at the nations oldest private military college... Norwich University, didn't finish my degree, still have another year to go- so decided to drop out and enlist in the Marine Corps... now i'm in Hawaii getting ready to leave in march for Iraq... do i regret it? sometimes yes but it's what i'm doing now... will def go back to school when i get out and finish my degree... no questions about that...

-Roth
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top