Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:00:49 PM EDT
I'm trying to clean out my computer and am starting by reinstalling Windows XP (home edition) from scratch.  I boot the computer from the XP setup cd rom and I get to the licensing agreement part where I have to accept or decline.  It says press "F8" to accept, however I tried and it wouldn't work.  I tried holding down the Shift key and even with the Control key.  So because of this, I cant get past the licensing agreement page and I'm stuck.  I've tried rebooting a few times and the problem persists.  Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
usb keyboard?

go into your bios and set your keyboard to start in the bios, deselect the start in OS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If your bios doesn't support USB keyboards (OLD machine...) you can pick up a brand new conventional (serial) keyboard for > $10
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with above, older PC and a usb KB doesnt work well with XP install.... Let us know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
(OFFICIAL THREAD HIJACK)

I wanna do the same thing.  Got some spyware on here and just really wanna start over.  How do I totally reformat the hard drive so there's nothing on it except the new Windows XP installation I'll be making?

(END HIJACK)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
(OFFICIAL THREAD HIJACK)

I wanna do the same thing.  Got some spyware on here and just really wanna start over.  How do I totally reformat the hard drive so there's nothing on it except the new Windows XP installation I'll be making?

(END HIJACK)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=426462
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(OFFICIAL THREAD HIJACK)

(END HIJACK)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=426462

I'm back ladies and gents... I'm finally back up and running from the original time of my post when I decided to start from scratch.  My only problem with the keyboard was the F-Lock button, problem solved.

Yeah, all you have to do is boot the computer from the WinXP installation disk and follow all the instructions.  It's pretty easy.  Just make damn sure you have backup copies of anything and everything you may ever want to see again, because once you start this process, say bye bye to everything that was on the computer.  A tricky part for me was getting all the drivers working.  I couldn't connect to the internet b/c my Ethernet drivers were on another CD and I didn't realize it until numerous bouts with trial and error.  All in all, it was an aggravating and tense experience, but everything had logical steps and eventually made sense.  Also be sure to backup all you Internet Explorer settings and favorites, as well as any Outlook Contacts, Calendars, Mail settings, etc.  These precautionary steps will save you years of your life warn away by the stress and anxiety of restoring everything back the way you want it.

To that I say Thank you god.

Oh, and don't forget to set a 'system restore point' on your new setup once you get it set up the way you want it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top