Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 3:19:51 PM EDT
I been thinking about my future alot. I want to fly but don't really want to fly for airlines. So I got to thinking, police helicopters. How hard is it to be one? Does it pay well? Also how about an Officer? I know the job is dangerous but, how dangerous? Do officers make good (enogh) money?

P.S. Sorry for crappy paragraph. Don't know how else to word it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Not many agencies have air units. Pick your agency carefully, and  if thats all you are getting into the career for, think about your choice carefully. Why not fly for the military?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
2 words, med flights! Those guys are bad ass! I'm a cop and firefighter and just the other day I had to assist a med flight land. Those guys fly circles around police helos. If your real lucky get on with a large fire department's air unit like Orange County fire department's FireStar. Those guys are pilot, paramedic and firefighter roled into one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why not fly for the military?

bout the only place to learn to fly no PD is gonna teach ya and you sure don't want to pay for it by yourself
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Good majority of police chopper pilots are ex-military, that should say something.

ETA:  The pay isn't great.  Enough to get by.  Lots of officer moonlight to make some extra cheese.  And the moonlight gigs usually pay better than regular police pay.  Lucky for me, my wife makes double what I get paid.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
How hard is it to shoot a dog from a helicoptor?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't honestly know if I could reccomend it.  Sometimes it's the best job in the world.  Often (last week) it's the worst.  More often (today) it's among the worst.

-K
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if you get married to 1911Greg.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Been doing it part time for three years. Some times it sucks. The bad guys seem to get a slap on the wrist the court system is f*^ked. The hours suck, and no matter what I do the good people are always getting crimes committed against by some dirt bag thug. there is no end in sight but I keep doing it sometimes it pays off when you get to help somebody broke down or a child is lost. These are the times when it is all worth it . I am there to help in any way I can. I want people know when they call for help or assistance they are getting someone who is proffessinal and courteous. remember a smile and some kind words go a long way in law enforcement. People remeber you as a good cop not some jerk. Just my.02 cents
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You might want to pose your question over at Glocktalk as well; they have a dedicated aviation forum there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Prior military, loads of time as a pilot, degree(s), and be able to be a good cop FIRST, and a pilot second.  

If you can't say yes to all of the above, you really aren't even in the running.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't get your hopes up; competition is fierce to get in a helicopter. Plan on years and years as a grunt on the ground in a '98 Crown Vic with 250,000 miles and a broken air conditioner before you get airborne. Oh yea, and if you haven't already, start drinking and if you are married, save some trouble and divorce your wife right now. HA!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Better stock up on running dog targets to practice before you go to qualify.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The majority (read all or close to it) of medevac chopper pilots, police chopper pilots, or just about any other commercial chopper pilot is a former Military chopper pilot.  By far the best training you can get.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not hard, you just have to lead them more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not hard, you just have to lead them more.

GET SOME!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not too hard if your wearing an uber tactical mask.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ever see Jerry Lewis in the bell boy?  Or who is it that has that dancing mouse in the cross hairs???

Can get hard,very hard!!!  Course thats what machine guns are made for!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Should I become a police officer?

Did you get beat up in school?

If you can answer yes to the above then YES you should and can!

Why not get a job that actually means something and contributes something positive instead of being a cop?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not get a job that actually means something and contributes something positive instead of being a cop?

Oh shit. So now it begins.

Since your life is so fucking full of joy and rewarding, why don't you share with us what you have contributed to your community? Or your country for that matter.

Nope? Why? Cause you might have roll of of your Mom/Sister and exert yourself?

Disappear, maggot.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how do you serve your community? Id like to see you try and be a cop for a day and put up with all the crap they have to deal with.

for the record not an LEO, but I have a ton of respect for what they do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Fly, it will be less stressful in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
[Did you get beat up in school?

Contrary to AR15 lore, most PO's are your average citizen; they didn't get beat up in school, they have lives, hobbies and families away from the job, and it IS just a job that they go home from every day, they are not on a power trip, etc. That sort of thing I think is perpetuated by the guys who got into so much trouble and spent time in juvenile detention, thereby eliminating their application for the sort of job they are now knocking.

LE IS very positive for the community.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top