Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
Here's a silly question from a shooter who's new to handguns: how tight should I grip? Before you say it, I realize I need formal training, but I don't have the money right now. I know I have my stance, trigger pull, and hand placement correct but should I squeeze the grip really tight or leave it a little loose? I have noticed when firing my handgun (glock 17) that if I grip very tight I can shoot rapidly with little change in sight picture. However, because my muscles are in tension they shake a little which makes it hard to shoot very accurately. On the other hand, if I grip somewhat loosely, I can shoot more accurately but slower due to recoil. The accuracy difference I am talking is 12" circle at 50 feet versus a 2" circle at 50 feet.
Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bout like you would hold your dick, not to tight yet not to loose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bout like you would hold your dick, not to tight yet not to loose.

like when I'm peeing or when I'm jackin' it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not so tight that your knuckles turn white and your hand starts shaking.   Go shoot 100 rounds while varying your grip.  Whatever grip is accurrate and allows a proper cycle is fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some good advice:

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu12.htm

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm far from a pro at this, but here's what I've learned that helps greatly....

Treat the right hand as a platform for your trigger finger and a "base layer" for your left hand.

It's just there resting on the pistol. Let the left and provide 80%+ of the force of the grip.

This way, your trigger finger is free to do it's job w/o unnecessary tension.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top