Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 1:27:23 PM EDT
OK, here are the criteria:

1. I don't care if it's domestic or an import.
2. I want a truck. Size is irrelevant. Fullsize, compact...either will do.
3. I don't care how reliable they are perceived to be. I will assume it's going to break alot, which leads me to number 4...

4. This is THE question I want answered: Which truck has the most widely available parts, at the lowest cost? I'm not spending more than $2,000 on it, and I know it's going to be a rust-ridden POS beater. I will not entertain any arguments as to the reliability of any particular make or model. All will be assumed problematic. PARTS AVAILABILITY AND PRICE is what I'm after. It will probably have a manual transmission, so don't worry about auto tranny parts prices or availability. Think about manual trans components, though.

5. Boneyards aren't off limits for many parts. If a particular truck seems to crop up in the junkyard often, I'll take it into consideration.

5. This is a bonus: If there are multiple trucks that meet the parts availability/price requirement, which one is easier to work on?

Any of you guys work in parts houses?

Thanks ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
chebby dodge or ford mang, anything 80s
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
chebby dodge or ford mang, anything 80s

So parts on these are easy to come by and cheap? Does this change if I dip into the 70s? I still see alot of trucks this old around here, belive it or not - rusted all to hell, but still running.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
A older ford f150 or f100
Parts are everywhere, one with the 300 six cyl. is a little better on gas and has good tourque.
The chevy and dodges are good but the ford has been the best selling truck for a long long time. Also the front suspension on the older ford is a simplier set up that is strong. Also ford did not change around parts as much as others manufacturers.
During the late 70's and early 80's I did spend sometime working in parts shops.
Then I stayed in a Holiday INN
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I would agree with the fords. I have a k5 blazer wich shares similar parts to the 1500 series pickups. Parts are everywhere but some are uber expensive. The bronco and f150 share alot of the same parts and theres a ton of them on the road.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Snarfbatt said:

Also the front suspension on the older ford is a simplier set up that is strong

Hahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Wow, yer' kinda outa the loop, aint ya?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Early 90's Chevy 1500 with a 350.  Parts are easy as hell to find and cheap.  Any mechanic worth a damn can work on a 350.

F-150 would be my second option.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
73 - 87 chevy pickup
absolutely nothing else has more parts avialable or is cheaper to work on.  If #4 is truly the most important for you, then this is what you'll look for

If you can do basic wrenching, you can pick up a beater for a couple hundred and run it.  If you want a prettier truck, you'll spend $1500 or $2000, but for a beater who cares get it cheap.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Snarfbatt said:

Hahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahah

They chevy front end is a  better design but they both will most likely require maintnance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
73 - 87 chevy pickup
absolutely nothing else has more parts avialable or is cheaper to work on.  If #4 is truly the most important for you, then this is what you'll look for

If you can do basic wrenching, you can pick up a beater for a couple hundred and run it.  If you want a prettier truck, you'll spend $1500 or $2000, but for a beater who cares get it cheap.

See, now we're getting somewhere. BEATER. I wrench, so ya - cheap is good. If there's a rusty panel, I'll cut it out, weld a new one in and re-camo the truck. Primer is finer.

One thing I DO remember is that small block Chevy's are EVERYWHERE, and parts are cheap and plentiful. It's the rest of the truck I'm not sure about.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the 73-87 Chevy trucks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What was different before 73 and after 87? Are the 73-87 trucks damn near the same?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
73 - 87 chevy pickup

See, now we're getting somewhere. BEATER. I wrench, so ya - cheap is good. If there's a rusty panel, I'll cut it out, weld a new one in and re-camo the truck. Primer is finer.

One thing I DO remember is that small block Chevy's are EVERYWHERE, and parts are cheap and plentiful. It's the rest of the truck I'm not sure about.

Yes, small block 305s and 350s are everywhere and are the cheapest to rebuild.  I rebuilt mine for < $200 (no machining of block as mine still looked pretty good and plastigaged OK.)

Fenders, suspensions parts, bushings, headlights, EVERYTHING is super cheap from the junkyard or new (not GM parts, but repro.)

I have yet to find a part, be it a starter, alternator, fender, ANYTHING, that wasn't cheaper for 73-87s  There was just so many made.

I have a 1973  4wd Chevy project truck, but if my daily driver dies on me, I'm thinking of checking the classifieds for a ~500 - 700 beater.  I don't want to make a truck note right now, so this would be ideal.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Snarfbatt said:

Hahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahah
My comment was due to the TTB was a simple set up, much simplier than a chevy IFS. Now if we are talking a chevy with solid front axle it is a different story. I did not want this to turn into ford vs chevy vs dodge. It is just the size of the ford parts are larger and do not require shims for alignment.

They chevy front end is a  better design but they both will most likely require maintnance.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find one with a decent carburetor get that. i have the TBI 350 in mine and the TBI is a shitstorm.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was different before 73 and after 87? Are the 73-87 trucks damn near the same?

1972 was a completely different model.  The 67-72 trucks are classy, but much more expensive.

The 88-98 are different as well.  The 1 ton 4wd models and the 1/4 ton blazer 4d models actually kept the same body style until 91, but these iwll be more expensive because of fuel injection.  

Basically, the 73-87 is where you want to look.

here's a representative 85 on ebay, but other than headlight and grill configuration they're all about the same
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The more I think about this, the better it gets. I recall seeing Chevy truck doors, hoods, fenders, etc CHEAP (repro) at various car shows and remarking to myself "DAYUM! Chevy guys are lucky".

Anybody got any online sources for repro body parts? Maybe I'll learn a little body work. It's a beater POS, who cares if I fuck it up?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]
+3.438X10^23 on the 73-87 Chevy.

I just put a new radiator in my 85. Cost me a 120 bucks. I've had the thing since high school (11 years) and I drive it daily. It's an ex MN DNR truck that I restored in '93. Its had the shit beat out of it since. It served me through college in Grand Forks, ND and now enjoys the heated garage between daily trips to work. Its a 305 4 speed (granny low) and is lift 2.5" and has 32" tires on it. As you can tell it drips a bit of oil. It's got over 130K on it so it should be around another 11 years.

Body parts:

www.shermanparts.com/
www.lmctruck.com/
www.certifit.com/

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW-my dad had a '88 Chevy Custom Deluxe 30 as a service truck back in the day.  350 and a 3/4 speed. Good truck till It got stolen.

I see a lot of the older trucks on Ebay, and you can find parts very easily.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag

Sean
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Snarfbatt said:

Hahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Obviously.

I have a bridge i'll sell you cheap, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I just put a new radiator in my 85. Cost me a 120 bucks. I've had the thing since high school (11 years) and I drive it daily. It's an ex MN DNR truck that I restored in '93. Its had the shit beat out of it since. It served me through college in Grand Forks, ND and now enjoys the heated garage between daily trips to work. Its a 305 4 speed (granny low) and is lift 2.5" and has 32" tires on it. As you can tell it drips a bit of oil. It's got over 130K on it so it should be around another 11 years.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Dsc00696.jpg

Body parts:

www.shermanparts.com/
www.lmctruck.com/
www.certifit.com/

You sir need a set of these

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Jeep Comanche or Jeep Cherokee are great, depending on whether you need a bed or need more seats.  I know more people who swear by Jeeps than people who swear at Jeeps.

But if you're looking for just some beater truck, I'd look for a regular-cab Toyota 4x2 from the early 1990s.  I'm no Toyotaphile, but Toyota trucks seem to last like old VW beetles--the drivetrain still runs fine when the body panels are falling off.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Dsc00696.jpg

Body parts:

www.shermanparts.com/
www.lmctruck.com/
www.certifit.com/

You sir need a set of these

www.procomptires.com/images/mtaps.gif

w00t!!!!!!!111!!!1oneone!1

Yeah, the tires on the rig have seen better days. I hate to put any money in to it though. Especially since I have to pay for this pig..... The good truck, '04 2500HD LT 8.1L Passes everything but the gas station.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Man, just sold (this afternoon) a NICE 1988 Ford F-250 4WD 460 5 Speed for $2250

Everything worked, heater, A/C. . . 4WD was tight, just put a new radiator on it about a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
he good truck, '04 2500HD LT 8.1L Passes everything but the gas station.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Dsc00694.jpg

My dad has a GMC '04 3500 8.1 as a company truck.  Got a lot of power but the gas needle tends to move very quickly Damn thing only gets 10 mpg.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
he good truck, '04 2500HD LT 8.1L Passes everything but the gas station.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Dsc00694.jpg

My dad has a GMC '04 3500 8.1 as a company truck.  Got a lot of power but the gas needle tends to move very quickly Damn thing only gets 10 mpg.  

I can vouch for that!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]

I'd say, go with any truck that you like.

Domestic = full size single cab 80's to early 90's Fords can be had within your budget and still allow for some minor mods.

Import = compact single cab early 80's  Toyo's with a 4 banger are alright as well.

Most of all, a trucks basic design is Timeless..... I don't know how folks are able to carry on their daily lives without one....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top