Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:19:54 PM EDT
Cincinatti Officer Shot
channelcincinnati.com

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati police believe they have arrested the gunman who shot one of their officers in the face early Wednesday morning.

Two officers were arresting Brian Colton in a car on Corinth Avenue for an outstanding warrant when the car's passenger, Dante Person, 18, got out and fired one shot from a .45-caliber pistol, hitting officer Christina Holtman.

The bullet went through her hat, shattered her glasses and caused a 2.5-inch gash in her cheek. Doctors removed a piece of shrapnel from Holtman's right eye late Wednesday morning.

Both officers fired four shots at Person, who ran away as Holtman's partner, Lauren Smith, called for assistance. Cincinnati Police Chief Tom Streicher said Person's gun jammed after firing the first shot.

Officers blocked off streets around the Norwood Lateral and Paddock Road to help aid in the search for the gunman.

Person was found in the basement of a nearby home about two hours later and transported to an area hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to the leg.

Streicher said that Person's femur was shattered and his aorta was severed. He was trying to bandage his leg when he was arrested.

Holtman, 36, was transported to University Hospital for treatment.

The intersection of Corinth Avenue and California Avenue was closed for much of the morning as crime scene investigators work to collect evidence.

It's the third time since December that a gunman has shot at a Cincinnati police officer.

An undercover officer suffered a bullet wound to his shoulder after a man opened fire on him and two other undercover officers in Over-the-Rhine on Dec. 2.

That suspect was arrested after he showed up at a Covington hospital with a gunshot wound to his stomach.

Detective Brian Trotta suffered a gunshot wound to his knee on Dec. 29 when 21-year-old Christopher Smith allegedly shot at him in Clifton Heights.

Smith was later caught hiding under a car on a nearby street, and he's been charged with two counts of attempted aggravated murder of a police officer.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It should be a rubber stamp 30-year/no-parole sentense to anyone who shoots at a LEO. Life if the LEO dies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]

It should be a rubber stamp 30-year/no-parole sentense to anyone who shoots at a LEO. Life if the LEO dies.

Why for a LEO and not any person, period?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because they are more valuable than regular old subjects...right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Person's gun jammed after firing the first shot.

Apparently Dante was only profeshnul enuff to own a Hi-Point.  Should have let that POS bleed to death.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you murder an LEO you're eligible for the death penalty actually.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That should apply to shooting at ANYONE illegally. (does not include justified shootings of any kind).

Aside from that, I hope the officer pulls through without any kind of permanent damage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Person's gun jammed after firing the first shot.

Apparently Dante was only profeshnul enuff to own a Hi-Point.  Should have let that POS bleed to death.

+1  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cincinatti Officer Shot
channelcincinnati.com

Person was found in the basement of a nearby home about two hours later and transported to an area hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to the leg.

Streicher said that Person's femur was shattered and his aorta was severed. He was trying to bandage his leg when he was arrested.

ummm..... isn't your aorta on/part of your heart? Maybe they meant femoral artery?? In either case, shouldn't he be dead?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For the same reason they can speed all they want.  The law does not apply to them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm surprised the fuck stain didn't die from the severed aorta. WTF would cause somebody to just flip out and shoot at cops if he wasn’t wanted for anything? Maybe he had drugs on him? Or was he paranoid he would have gotten in big trouble for the illegally concealed handgun?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the same reason they can speed all they want.  The law does not apply to them.

- The stupidity is running rampant today I see.

Anyways, hope the injured officer doesn't have any permenant damage to her vision.

WTF would cause somebody to just flip out and shoot at cops if he wasn’t wanted for anything? Maybe he had drugs on him? Or was he paranoid he would have gotten in big trouble for the illegally concealed handgun?

- People just do crazy shit sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cincinatti Officer Shot
channelcincinnati.com

ummm..... isn't your aorta on/part of your heart? Maybe they meant femoral artery?? In either case, shouldn't he be dead?

I was thinking the same thing.  If a person has a severed aorta I thought they were supposed to bleed out without immediate treatment?  MJD
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyways, hope the injured officer doesn't have any permenant damage to her vision.

WTF would cause somebody to just flip out and shoot at cops if he wasn’t wanted for anything? Maybe he had drugs on him? Or was he paranoid he would have gotten in big trouble for the illegally concealed handgun?

Not many people like being a second class citizen to public servants.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, this sucks, and I hope the officer doesn't suffer any lasting damage, and the scumbags in question should've been left to die.

But I see a valid point here, ultimately why should any one persons life be worth more than others, be it they are a LEO, or a fag, or black (as in hate crimes carry more penalty than others)

Murder is murder, and the punishment should be the same whether just a regular joe, a LEO, or some perceived minority group.....I never understood the rationale behind that....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Jesus, does this one have to turn into a cop bashing thread? The "who's life is worth more" shit has been done to death already.

FLA1LA posted a GREAT reply on this very subject once. For the love of God, I with it as tacked somewhere so that this crap would end.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So are their dogs. You shoot a police dog, that's murder of a police officer. Cop shoots your dog, he gets a day without pay if any punishment.

Of course, most people shooting at police dogs are criminals engaged in illicit activity, but regardless.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Two female officers.

I bet the thug thought he could get the drop on them and tried...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- got your serf tampon in today?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  That's why I'm among the ones that don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Whatever.  If you guys want to bitch about percieved social injustices being visted upon you; go right ahead.  I'm not going to get into this crap again in this thread.

As I said the 1st time, I hope the injured officer makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Whatever.  If you guys want to bitch about percieved social injustices being visted upon you; go right ahead.  I'm not going to get into this crap again in this thread.

As I said the 1st time, I hope the injured officer makes a full recovery.

And I completely agree with that.  It sounds like the shooter was a wackjob asshole and I hope the officer gets the best treatment possible and ends up ok.

I was responding to the post someone made about stiffer punishment for shooting cops.  Shooting any innocent person should be considered wrong and punished equally regardless of the line of work.  I believe that to do otherwise causes/perpetuates the us vs. them problem and in the long run I don't think that's good for anyone.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why not the death penalty if he dies?  Life is a kalifornia penality.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was responding to the post someone made about stiffer punishment for shooting cops.  Shooting any innocent person should be considered wrong and punished equally regardless of the line of work.  I believe that to do otherwise causes/perpetuates the us vs. them problem and in the long run I don't think that's good for anyone.

The difference is that when you shoot a non-LEO civilian, you are just attacking a person, when you shoot a LEO you are not just attacking a civilian, you are also attacking law enforcement as a whole. Just like if you shoot the president of the United States, you are not just killing another person, but you are killing the leader of this country, and by extension, the country itself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So are their dogs. You shoot a police dog, that's murder of a police officer. .

Once again, the same moronic statement from someone who has been repeatedly corrected on the subject in the past.

Your statement is a lie.

As for the "second class citizen" thing,  You're not, but if it gives you an excuse for your hate, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That should apply to shooting at ANYONE illegally. (does not include justified shootings of any kind).

Aside from that, I hope the officer pulls through without any kind of permanent damage.

Holy fucking shit...I agree with LarryG...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Funny finding you in this thread...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I wish I had the Awww Geez guy to post cause here we go again.....let the cop bashing commence!  

Or can we just agree we cannot agree on yet another topic?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Cop gets shot in the face and they respond with 4 shots?
What's wrong with slide-lock?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference is that when you shoot a non-LEO civilian, you are just attacking a person, when you shoot a LEO you are not just attacking a civilian, you are also attacking law enforcement as a whole. Just like if you shoot the president of the United States, you are not just killing another person, but you are killing the leader of this country, and by extension, the country itself.

I disagree on that.  There might be more people after the president so he gets protection but his life is not inherently worth any more so I don't think the penalties should be any worse.  But I'm a little kooky about equal protection under the law and other quaint ideas from a time gone by.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I had the Awww Geez guy to post cause here we go again.....let the cop bashing commence!  

So, it is cop bashing if you don't think their lives are worth more than Joe Blow?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, it is cop bashing if you don't think their lives are worth more than Joe Blow?

Sure, OK.  Whatever....not going to argue.  

Just shaking my head at yet another topic that comes up time and again and there is never a resolution.  Might as well discuss abortion.  Just opinionated posts and ultiamately pissed of folk on one or both sides....so....cheers!

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just shaking my head at yet another topic that comes up time and again and there is never a resolution.  Might as well discuss abortion.  Just opinionated posts and ultiamately pissed of folk on one or both sides....so....cheers!

I love the ppl. who complain about a certain type of thread, but at the same time always post in them...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not civilians.  Only civilians are subject to law
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the ppl. who complain about a certain type of thread, but at the same time always post in them...

Love you too.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Cop gets shot in the face and they respond with 4 shots?
What's wrong with slide-lock?

Probably got out of view/behind cover before more shots could be fired.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm surprised the fuck stain didn't die from the severed aorta. WTF would cause somebody to just flip out and shoot at cops if he wasn’t wanted for anything? Maybe he had drugs on him? Or was he paranoid he would have gotten in big trouble for the illegally concealed handgun?

That part of Cinci has been a hot bed of racial strife.  Riots and stuff over police shootings, people dying while in custodyand stuff.  Lot's of public anger towards the police.  Do a Google on Over-the-rhine and you'll get the gist of it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny finding you in this thread...

- Shouddn't be. I check out each of the threads that mention something about law enforcement. I washoping this one might stay civil. I see that I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's because they represent the will of the populace for right and the fighting of crime. A shot at a LEO is a shot at everybody, not just one citizen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top