Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 12:19:24 PM EDT
Just finished the book..it was alot different than i expected. I do like how it documented some things and the history part.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]

thank you for your notice. you have been added to our list.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Time to feed the hogs...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have given you my copy.  I've had that thing for years and was one of the hardest to read books I've ever seen.  The author's writing style is dry and boring IMO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would have given you my copy.  I've had that thing for years and was one of the hardest to read books I've ever seen.  The author's writing style is dry and boring IMO.

damn. i've always been a bit interested, but just never got around to reading it. disappointing to hear a shitty review...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn. i've always been a bit interested, but just never got around to reading it. disappointing to hear a shitty review...

- Give it a try.  People around here love it.  I bought my copy back in the mid 90s (I think the same year it came out) and got no further than maybe half way before stopping.  Ive tried to start it again, but can't make it past the Topperwein part on the additional attempts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What do you consider "good" writing?

I rather enjoyed UC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rather enjoyed UC.

Some of my favorite fiction books have been "The Last Run", "Charlie Mike", "Hammers Slammers", "The Five Fingers", and "Rainbow Six". I also like reading Shakespeare and Charles Dickens. Romeo and Juliet and Great Expectations are two great tales.

Non fiction examples: Blackhawk Down, Hunting Bin Laden, The Company They Keep, and Inside Delta Force
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rather enjoyed UC.

Some of my favorite fiction books have been "The Last Run", "Charlie Mike", "Hammers Slammers", "The Five Fingers", and "Rainbow Six". I also like reading Shakespeare and Charles Dickens. Romeo and Juliet and Great Expectations are two great tales.

Non fiction examples: Blackhawk Down, Hunting Bin Laden, The Company They Keep, and Inside Delta Force

And you didn't enjoy a book the chronicles the most important violations of the Constitution in the last 100 years?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rather enjoyed UC.

And you didn't enjoy a book the chronicles the most important violations of the Constitution in the last 100 years?

- No, because the author's writing style made it boring as hell to read.  I read for enjoyment and I'm not going to force my way through a book that large and that boring. If the book was about positional sex with Alyson Hannigan and written in the same manner of UC, I still wouldn't read it.  I woud look at the pictures though.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And you didn't enjoy a book the chronicles the most important violations of the Constitution in the last 100 years?- No, because the author's writing style made it boring as hell to read.  I read for enjoyment and I'm not going to force my way through a book that large and that boring. If the book was about positional sex with Alyson Hannigan and written in the same manner of UC, I still wouldn't read it.  I woud look at the pictures though.  

Well, see there, we do agree on something!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Read Enemies Foreign And Domestic....good book and the author seems to be a good guy too
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
UC is a great book, and it gets better the more times you read it.
It starts slow, but then builds and establishes who everyone is and their stories.
Great book, go read it

Brian
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
for the night crew
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
update at the tizzop!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

that offer still open?  I'll take it off your hands!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Some parts were dry but I still enjoyed reading it. JR could have left out some parts and it would not have detracted from the story. I understand those scenes went to character development, but still... don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it.

Yes, IMO the "jogging scene" could have been SAFELY left out.   That was some..."forced" character development.

Still a great book though (although not the best written).  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I read it when it came out. No complaints. I read it pretty straight through. I liked all the gun talk. I haven't looked at it since but have no plans to get rid of it, and plan to someday read it again. The author had to revise it a bit after a legal complaint concerning a name or characterization, if I recall correctly.

GL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#21]

I got a signed copy back in 1998 at knob creek from John.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
tallbill.com/pictures/albums/userpics/10014/normal_28784489bpwHrAzCXl_ph.jpg
I got a signed copy back in 1998 at knob creek from John.

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly, I rate this as the best, most infulential book I have ever read.

-K
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Honestly, I rate this as the best, most influential book I have ever read.

-K

It is having a powerful effect on me also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top