Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:16:07 PM EDT
I'm currently leaving a job this week and I believe they will leave my email account, one with my full name active so that work can continue to come in. While I'm not totally up in arms about this, it does make me uncomfortable that email with MY name can go out to people and companies.

I know the email adress is the property of the company but the name is mine.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd guess that what they'll do is have your emails go to someone else's account.  They will then respond with their account.  Now if they continued to have "you" email them....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A good company (or just a smart IT department) would set it up to forward the email to your replacement and send the original sender an email saying you have left the company and list the replacement's contact information.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd guess that what they'll do is have your emails go to someone else's account.  They will then respond with their account.  Now if they continued to have "you" email them....

Yeah, I really dont mind that happening but I was told they were going to leave my desk unoccupied and my computer on, so that they can continue to see emails come in. Any response would still be under my name. I just dont know if I'm too happy about this.

I'm wondering about the LEGALITIES of demanding that they shut down my email address.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I really dont mind that happening but I was told they were going to leave my desk unoccupied and my computer on, so that they can continue to see emails come in. Any response would still be under my name. I just dont know if I'm too happy about this.

I'm wondering about the LEGALITIES of demanding that they shut down my email address.

You probably won't get far demanding they shut it down.  I'm guessing you'll have better luck giving them another option, and requesting they not use your name any more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, had this happen to me before. The reason given was its easier to get you back online if you come back. The policy was to keep it active for 1 year or 2. That said an acct. can accumulate A LOT of mail in that time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm currently leaving a job this week and I believe they will leave my email account, one with my full name active so that work can continue to come in. While I'm not totally up in arms about this, it does make me uncomfortable that email with MY name can go out to people and companies.

I know the email adress is the property of the company but the name is mine.

Any thoughts?

Set it to auto-reply with a short explanation and the email address for the new contact at the company or your boss.

If the company is amenable to the idea, you could even include contact info for you, in case someone wants to get in touch with you for personal reasons.  Otherwise, I'd give that info to your boss and ask him/her to pass it on to anyone who wishes to contact you for personal reasons.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top