Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT

With a family tree full of Guardsmen, I've never heard of anything like this. It seems to scream "alterior motive" seeings how where they're at.

By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 11, 11:57 AM ET

BOSTON - A group of National Guard soldiers who were ordered to protect possible targets after the Sept. 11 attacks sued the federal government Wednesday, seeking tens of millions of dollars in expenses they say were never reimbursed.

The soldiers, from Massachusetts and New Hampshire, say they traveled hundreds of miles to security postings and used their own money to pay for food and lodging with the expectation that they would be reimbursed.

But the soldiers say in their complaint that their requests for compensation were repeatedly denied and they eventually were told, "If you don't like the arrangement, we'll make sure you get taken off this mission."

In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs argue that federal law provides military personnel with a travel and transportation allowance while away from home on active duty.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court by four soldiers but seeks to include hundreds of other guardsmen as a class action. It names the U.S.
Department of Defense and the Massachusetts National Guard and seeks $73 million in unpaid expenses.

A spokeswoman for the
Pentagon referred all calls to the
Department of Justice, where a spokesman did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

A call to a Massachusetts National Guard spokesman was not immediately returned.

The plaintiffs are Steven Littlefield of Plymouth, Wayne Gutierrez of New Bedford, Louis Tortorella of Brookline, N.H.; and Joseph Murphy of Derry, N.H. All but Tortorella are still in the National Guard. The areas they patrolled included Boston's primary water supply.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
wtf??? i've never had a prob getting comp'd by the .gov...and these guys were doing something a lot more important than me going to jerk-off meetings...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The last time vets protested about money, they got charged by MacArthur.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope they have reciepts for every expense over $75 or Uncle $ugar isnt going to pay.

KHarn
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like Mass is screwing over soldiers, why am I not surprised? If it was a rush assignment and they were told to pay and would be reimbursed but were then stiffed they have every right to sue. Heck, I pay when my company sends me out of town but I fully expect compensation at a later date.

Sue Teddy, he deserves a bit more bad publicity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
There's alot that the article doesn't mention.  For example, how far from their home or drilling location were their assignments?  What were on their orders?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
More of...............It's all Bush's fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top