Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 11:34:09 AM EDT
I'm looking for home insurance for the house I'm buying soon. On the first two I've checked out so far, one of the questions they ask is are there firearms kept in the home, are they kept locked or unlocked, does the primary resident have firearms safety training. Is this normal, or should I avoid companies who ask this question?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never been asked.

Whatever you do, be truthful on the application, a favorite way to deny coverage is application fraud.  If someone gets shot at your house, you're bare, as they say.

You should have little problem finding a company that doesn't ask.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got home owners from USAA and they did not ask that question.

But USAA is not like most companies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
On a related topic, you need to ask are your weapons covered under you normal homeowners policy or whether a separate rider is needed. You also want to find out if your weapons are covered if they are stolen out of your vehicle while at a parking lot somewhere.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
NRA has a special insurance program for guns if the homeowner's thing doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
most homeowners polices only cover up to like 3 to 5 thousand dollars worth of firearms.
uh huh, these people have no idea.

if you have more than that, you can get a rider or better get a differnet policy through a company that just insures collectables, etc
or buy a safe and cross your fingers.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for another insurance co. right now. AAA covers up to 2500.00 in theft total. If the place burns down all  are covered.
I talked to Farmers last night and they have no limit on total but limit per firearm.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On a related topic, you need to ask are your weapons covered under you normal homeowners policy or whether a separate rider is needed. You also want to find out if your weapons are covered if they are stolen out of your vehicle while at a parking lot somewhere.  Good luck.

+1

My wife is my insurance agent, and this is what she told me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
My insurance company only cares if they are over a thousand dollars in value apiece. Any that do require a separate rider, but also other high dollar items over various amounts require separate riders.
Guns and jewlery are probably the ones with the lowest amounts since they are prime targets for thieves.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Search for the previous threads on firearms and insurance. There is quite a bit of info on the subject in them.

This comes up so often that it ought to be a sticky.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine just asked for a dollar amount..  No descriptions, appraisals, receipts anything like that..  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top