Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT
If you go super cheap (ie genius) route of getting married by the JP do you have to say anything or do you just fill out the forms?

How many out there have been able to convince a 20 somthing girl to do this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Run, Forrest, run!!!!b
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you go super cheap (ie genius) route of getting married by the JP do you have to say anything or do you just fill out the forms?

HA!!!  You should live so long!!!

Ain't 4 womenz on the entire planet that are going to give up THEIR DAY in exchange for a JP marriage.

If the savings would pay for a Diamond AND a house AND a car AND put 6 kids through medical school, they still are NOT going to give up their day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My ex-fiance did that with her now husband...after she found out she was knocked up and she was mid 20s.  

So knock her up and your problem will be solved.  

Other than knocking her up you would probably have a better chance of convincing her to run away to Vegas and get married.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You should talk to your girlfriend about wedding stuff.

You can always have a small wedding that's not performed by a Justice of the Peace.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My ex-fiance did that with her now husband...after she found out she was knocked up and she was mid 20s.  

So knock her up and your problem will be solved.  

Other than knocking her up you would probably have a better chance of convincing her to run away to Vegas and get married.

Screw that.  Buddy did that and still had a wedding. Dumbass on 2 counts.

I'm thinking of saying either JP way or highway. Ever notice how many movies are about huge wedding costing 50-100k?  What a freaking sham. I'm not paying for one days party for 5 years of my life.

JP just involves a form right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]
In Florida, a Notary Public can perform weddings.  I've only done one in about 10 years and it was at the request of the woman!!  Of course, it was a second for both of them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm thinking of saying either JP way or highway. Ever notice how many movies are about huge wedding costing 50-100k?  What a freaking sham. I'm not paying for one days party for 5 years of my life.

Do a google search on "wedding", "justice of the peace", and the town/city you live in.

You can also contact your church, if you attend one. The minister can marry you in your home.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I went that route when I was a 20 something girl.  Our marriage cost $40 - I wanted to be with him, not to be on display.  We had to fill out the proper forms and then had a quick ceremony.

I wasn't 'knocked up', btw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I went that route when I was a 20 something girl.  Our marriage cost $40 - I wanted to be with him, not to be on display.  We had to fill out the proper forms and then had a quick ceremony.

Ceremony was a neccesity? Or you just wanted it?  If I want to I can just fill out the forms?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I had a civil ceremony, performed by a justice of the peace.  

Here in VA, you first fill out a form to get a license at your county or city courthouse, then present it to a JOP.  I don't recall filling out another form at his office, but there was a brief ceremony where you speak your vows ("I do" and "I will") in front of a witness.

$20 for the license, $20 for the ceremony in 1996  (oops, got an anniversary coming up).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Ceremony was a neccesity?  Yes; this may be different in Texas.   We did have a choice of a long or short ceremony; the short ceremony I think consist of asking if you take each other in marriage and being pronounced husband and wife.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can also contact your church, if you attend one. The minister can marry you in your home.

I've always wondered why non-religious folks choose to get married in a temple,church,synagogue or other religious setting. What's the point if you don't practice a religion?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You can have a traditional marriage ceremony without going into debt for 10 years doing so.

Thought about giving that a try? And who said you had to feed guests a sit down meal? Some light refreshments at a brief reception ought to be fine. Or have people contribute to the reception in leiux of wedding gifts.

There are options out there other than just doing a quickie in front of a JP.

Traditions like marriage ceremonies are important to people and families. That doesn't mean you have to spend 50 grand to have one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've always wondered why non-religious folks choose to get married in a temple,church,synagogue or other religious setting. What's the point if you don't practice a religion?

Tradition.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't remember being given a choice of short or long ceremonies, but I think it's necessary for you to state your intentions for it to be legal.

Don't get the wrong idea, it wasn't much of a "ceremony".  Just my wife and I, the JOP, and his secretary came into the office to act as a witness.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL!

You've got 4 Virginians giving you advice.

You should talk to another Texan, maybe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can have a traditional marriage ceremony without going into debt for 10 years doing so.

Thought about giving that a try? And who said you had to feed guests a sit down meal? Some light refreshments at a brief reception ought to be fine. Or have people contribute to the reception in leiux of wedding gifts.

Traditions like marriage ceremonies are important to people and families. That doesn't mean you have to spend 50 grand to have one.

Probably still looking at a min of 10k. Cake, dress tux,church,pastor. blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
LOL!

You've got 4 Virginians giving you advice.

You should talk to another Texan, maybe.

I am pretty sure that its just forms, "I do's" and a witness. like the scene from independence day.

my GF and I considered this, but decided against it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL

I just noticed this had turned into a VA thread.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

HA!!!  You should live so long!!!

Ain't 4 womenz on the entire planet that are going to give up THEIR DAY in exchange for a JP marriage.

If the savings would pay for a Diamond AND a house AND a car AND put 6 kids through medical school, they still are NOT going to give up their day.

HA! Then I got one. Courthouse marriage was HER idea!! Go cheap on the ceremony... throw a big party...

This year is #10.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably still looking at a min of 10k.
Cake there are plenty of grandmas that will make it at cost.,
dress yeah, not much you can do
tux rental for $150 out the door (with shoes),
church a little country church would work great. ( i know of one that is VERY nice, and with in drivable distance of houston). probably about $500 (IM me if interested),
pastor probably included in the church.
blah blah blah.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Probably still looking at a min of 10k. Cake, dress tux,church,pastor. blah blah blah.

Try 2K.

I was just at the wedding of a couple who did it for that much. They had to work at it and shop carefully and try some unorthadox things, but they pulled it off. They then spent a really nice honeymoon on a sany island beach....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top