Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:10 AM EDT
I'm helping the little one do an experiment for class and we need about 5 ozs of Potassium Nitrate (salt petre).

Does anyone know who would carry it? I'm looking for what would be a local source as opposed to ordering it over the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
drug store
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Caves... (Mamoth cave in Kentucky, for instance, was a natural source of saltpeter used in gunpowder)

Or under piles of animal shit...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Drug store, but it's expensive.

Home depot and other lawn & garden stores carry it in the form of stump remover powder, but those products usually add sodium hydroxide to it, I guess to get an exothermic reaction when water touches it.

I am not sure, but I think you can wash the sodium hydroxide out with methanol, which you can buy at hobby shops that sell gas powered RC car stuff.

A surprisingly great source for chemicals is ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=potassium+nitrate&category0=
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Online pyrotechnic chemical supplier.

www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp?Sort=P

www.firefox-fx.com/ChemN-P.htm

edit:  You call yourself "thebomber", yet you can't find the most basic component?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Find an independent pharmacy and ask them to order it for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to buy lots of it from Ebay.  I've probably bought about 5 pounds of it.  I still have a jar at home.

Also stump remover works.  All it is is potassium nitrate.  It might have other chemicals, but I do know that it seems to work just as well as potassium nitrate.

EDITED:  I guess Raven beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I heard they used to put that in prison food to supress their sexual urges
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And military schools.

I scored my first in a chemistry set. Then I got it at the drug store, so 5 oz. couldn't be that expensive. Got the sulfur there too. Charcoal off the back porch. Any pharmacist who would sell snot nose kids saltpeter and sulfur at the same time probably sells unregistered MGs.

Then there was the sulfur-swimming pool chlorine experiment.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#9]
For the record, I need it for a science experiment. We're charting the solubility of a salt in water as temperature changes. We chose Potassium nitrate because it has the greatest solubhility change of all salts which is helpful when you're doing an experiment with a sith grader.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And military schools.

I scored my first in a chemistry set. Then I got it at the drug store, so 5 oz. couldn't be that expensive. Got the sulfur there too. Charcoal off the back porch. Any pharmacist who would sell snot nose kids saltpeter and sulfur at the same time probably sells unregistered MGs.

pharmacists too? I thought it was just ice cream trucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top