Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:17 PM EDT
My laptop it toast. It has reached the point where I can't stand waiting 10 minutes for boot up. Everying is slow and the final straw, Norton reported a virus it can't clean.

I'm going to copy my pictures off and re-install the OS. But how do I do that from scratch? I don't want to overinstall, I want to format the HD intall.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
ez.

put your xp cd into the cd rom drive.
restart the computer.
boot from cd
delete the existing partition
reformat the partition as ntfs file format
re-instal xp
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Boot off the XP disk.

Tell it you want to do a fresh install.

When it asks you if you want to format or leave intact, select format.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My laptop it toast.

What brand?

And TPS-Report has it right.

If you haven't thought of it, copy your bookmarks as well. When my Dell's HD died, that was the thing I was most pissed about.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you haven't thought of it, copy your bookmarks as well. When my Dell's HD died, that was the thing I was most pissed about.

+1. I forgot that part when doing a reinstall on my desktop. now I gotta start from scratch for all those funny pictures for the forums
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
HP is F10 over and over again while restarting your computer
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a Dell. Thanks all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top