User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 6:01:42 PM EDT
Story

Sheriff hopeful can't carry gun

Battery conviction prohibits possession

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

By CAROL CLARK

The Register-Mail

LOMAX - If Brian Grisham is elected sheriff of Henderson County, he won't carry a gun.
He can't.

Grisham, 36, Lomax, a Democratic candidate for sheriff in the spring primary election cannot hold a Firearm Owners Identification Card because of a 2000 domestic battery conviction.

Grisham said he did not know when he filed his candidacy papers that his misdemeanor conviction would preclude him from carrying a gun as sheriff. But he says it doesn't matter.

"To me, the sheriff is the administrator of the sheriff's department," Grisham said. "I believe there are seven deputies that do the road patrol, they just need some leadership."

Grisham said state law does not require a sheriff to possess or wear a gun as part of his elected duties. He said he did not intend to hide the fact he had a domestic battery conviction when he decided to run for sheriff.

Grisham said he and his wife Suzanne were involved in a domestic altercation at their home six years ago. He said he does not remember how the argument started, but it became a pushing contest when his wife asked him to leave the home.

Suzanne Grisham said her husband did not really "strike" her, it was what she termed "one hit" to her head area.

She said she was shocked when her husband hit her.

"I am not violent," Grisham said.

Grisham, who was appointed a public defender, pleaded not guilty and asked for a jury trial.

Before Paul went to court, the Grishams said they had worked out their differences and Suzanne unsuccessfully attempted to have the charge dropped.

Grisham pleaded guilty.

"He was supposed to be able to keep his FOID card if he pleaded guilty," Suzanne said.

"The way they sold the conditions to me was a two-year conditional discharge and during that time I was not to violate any criminal or traffic laws and refrain from possession of any firearm except during deer hunting season," he said.

Grisham was also fined $410 and ordered to complete the domestic abuse program.

"I was told if I completed this program in two years, I would not lose my privilege (to have a FOID card)," he said.

Grisham said he did not learn he could not have a FOID card until he went to renew it. Since then, he has made numerous telephone calls to federal and state offices to get his FOID card back.

Grisham said he learned a lot about himself, his wife and family during the 34-week Domestic Abuse Prevention Program.

"People make mistakes. If you have to go through classes to help make the situations better then do it, because when he went to those classes, he brought home what he learned and I learned, too," Suzanne said. "It takes two people to fight."

Grisham said everybody has a past and he is not one to dwell on it. But, he said society has labeled someone convicted of domestic battery as a "wife beater" and that is not what he is. Going through the classes has made him a stronger person, he said.

Grisham served as Lomax Township road commissioner for eight years and is now working as a truck driver.

He said he decided to run for sheriff because, "I feel there is a lack of leadership and I feel Henderson County has a severe drug problem and I think we need to work on the drug issue in the county."

Grisham will face Sheriff Mark Lumbeck and Wes Long in the Democratic primary this spring. The winner of the primary election will be unopposed in the November general election because no Republican candidates filed nomination papers to run for sheriff. An Independent candidate could file to run during the November general election.

Job Requirements

The State of Illinois has only two requirements for the office of county sheriff, according to Henderson County Clerk Marcella Cisna.

- The candidate must have been a resident of the county for one year.

- The candidate cannot have a felony conviction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]

"To me, the sheriff is the administrator of the sheriff's department," Grisham said. "I believe there are seven deputies that do the road patrol, they just need some leadership."

Some fucking leader.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Was a road commisioner--- knows all the routes.

Now a truck driver--- used his knowledge of roads to do bidness

Might be a sheriff-- wants to provide leadership to work on the drug problem

I wonder if he is gonna oversee logistics.......I KEED, I KEED!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If he can't refrain from beating his wife he does not need to be sherriff.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Il. sucks

No doubt ...but his conviction also prohibits him from possessing a firearm under Federal law. FOID eligibility is largely based on eligibility under Federal law. A 'conviction' for a 'misdemeanor crime of domestic violence' as defined in the U.S.C makes firearm possession illegal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Il. sucks

Don't remind me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top